Back Splash Help. IS the green tile a good choice?
mm707
Remodel of kitchen, craftsman style but want to modernize a bit. Have a glass green tile that looks good with wall color and a tan option. I am horrible with colors so am I correct that the green brings out the red in the creme bordeaux granite? To my eye the brown glass tile and all the stone tiles don't set off the granite as much as the green. Sorry the larger kitchen picture is older before we put in the granite
mm707
FYI the floor will be reclaimed antique oak and the stove and fridge are SS. Backsplash will go to the upper cabinets and behind the stove which will be in the open space on the right
0 Likes   January 4, 2014 at 12:51PM
dclostboy
The green would be a bold option, and from the paint color, you're not afraid of color :)
5 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 12:54PM
happyasaclam
I like the tan best. I don't think you need anymore green. The tan is calming to me - that was my first impression when I looked at the tile :)
1 Like   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 12:56PM
sunnydrew
I like the idea of the tile that has one of the granite colors. The green tile just does not quite work in that particular shade with your wall color. I understand your dilemma because I just wen through the same thing. If you are having someone install for you, check the product to be sure it is not scratched. This glass tile apparently scratches easily.
0 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 1:00PM
You mention the glass tiles, but also show four more in pix #2.

I’d like to see a close up of all six, because right now I am leaning to the far right piece.
0 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 1:01PM
Wardell Builders, Inc.
If you are planning to keep the house and love the green then go for it. If you think you are going to sell the house in the next year it is better to go with something more neutral. Have fun with your project.
0 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 1:04PM
hayleydaniels
I like the green tile, and LOVE the green wall color! it's soooo nice to see a house that isn't gray.
1 Like   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 1:07PM
calidesign
I like both the green and the tan with the counters. But when looking at the kitchen in the last photo, I would be inclined to use the green, because you have a lot of tan in your cabinets, and the green tiles would give you a softer look of what you have painted there now.
2 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 1:07PM
sunnydrew
yes, it is a nice change from all the white and grey kitchens....
1 Like   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 1:09PM
Denita
Here are some inspiration kitchens using the same granite you have used with various colors including even a similar green so you have an idea: Brumley 1
and another kitchen with green! These two photos are probably the same kitchen (because of the name). The lighting just makes the cabinetry appear to be a different color.

Brumley 2

Morea

Even in the green kitchen there is a large portion of the backsplash in beige. The third kitchen features beige/tan with your granite on the island.

I happen to like your green accents, but I'm not a pro. I think your instincts are good so far :)
m3459
I like the green tile best....not cookie cutter. But then I am a fan of green, so I'm prejudiced.
3 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 1:15PM
pharod60
I have to say I love the green tile against your cabinets but am not a fan of it against the granite. The granite looks like it has a lot of red in it and you may find it to be too much of a contrast rather than complimentary. I would suggest a more neutral tile so that if you tire of the wall color you are not stuck with an expensive do-over. Also, you mentioned the floor will be reclaimed oak- will they be in the same medium finish as your cabinets?
1 Like   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 1:51PM
decoratinglady5
I like the tan best
1 Like   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 1:54PM
mm707
Thank you so much for all your comments. I agree w/ calidesign that the green tile softens the green wall color that is already there and I agree with tan supporters that it is a safer choice and probably easier to work with in the long haul. (No plans for immediate resale). Thank you Denita for your pictures! Our inspiration was a Houzz picture with the CB granite and a greenish tile
. For Judy G I am attaching closeups of the other stone tiles. The one on the far right is now second from the left in the 2nd photo below and is a travertine. We were thinking initially about a stone tile but it is a different feel, more Mediterranean and i'm thinking the glass creates a lighter brighter feel? The green colored wall was our attempt to be bolder and it really sets off the cabinets but it really has been a challenge to work with.
0 Likes   January 4, 2014 at 1:55PM
saratogaswizzlestick
I like the tan.
2 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 1:58PM
mm707
To Pharod60. The floor will be a mix of red and white oak, reclaimed with moderate amt of nail holes etc. Oiled natural finish.Thanks for your comment about the green contrasting with the red in the granite. I am trying to understand about complimentary vs contrasting. I want the granite to be the "star" so I was afraid the tan would make the granite look less vibrant since it is more complementary
0 Likes   January 4, 2014 at 2:23PM
grobby
I like color! Your choice of green works!
1 Like   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 2:28PM
thewhovian2000
I do like the green tile but not for the space. I think it would end up looking out of the place.
0 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 2:28PM
J LeBlanc
I like the green and the way it looks with the wall color. I'm not completely sold on how it looks with the granite but true colors are hard to read on a computer.
0 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 2:32PM
mm707
Yes it is hard to see the true colors on the computer. The pictures I took with a very good digital camera and were originally 7MB so I think the representation is pretty good. The paint color is Behr Tate Olive and the tile is City tile
0 Likes   January 4, 2014 at 4:18PM
Ann
Interesting choice but I rather like the green! I don't like the wall color at all and would choose a light neutral wall paint - like a soft gray which is beautiful with cherry (the cabinets look like natural cherry?) and then use the green backsplash. It would be very nice to cool down the warm colors of the cabinets and counter. With the exception of the paint color, I think you have a great plan with the green backsplash!!
1 Like   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 4:35PM
Mary Jane Banks
with your wall color I prefer the tan tiles
1 Like   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 4:48PM
pharod60
One of the best courses I ever took in interior design was basic color theory. It is truly amazing the effect that one color can have on an adjacent color. A good way to look at color when decorating is to lay your choices side by side and squint- nothing should disturb your eyes movement from one end of the spectrum to the other This does not mean that all your colors are the same but rather that the intensity is paced.
0 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 6:01PM
mm707
To pharod60. Interesting tip. I was trying to do that but not sure what the paced intensity tells you? That one choice is more pleasing?
0 Likes   January 4, 2014 at 6:55PM
alleykat6093
I like the green tile but not with your granite. The brown/tan one to the right of it would be my pick.
0 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 7:25PM
jn3344
I like your wall color, and the inspiration photo. And you did a pretty good job representing it in your project. It is hard to imagine how the green tile would look. I think with some attention to good lighting the green would be fine. If you find it doesn't work you can always change the wall color without much trouble. But its harder to change the tile if you end up not liking the tan.
0 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 7:34PM
pharod60
That is good insight on your part- it is not a value judgement about your color choice, per se- it just lets you know if all your color choices can live together in one space. Since most of us live in homes where one room is visible from another there is some value in having a harmonious palette:)
1 Like   Thanked by mm707    January 4, 2014 at 8:03PM
Glass Tile Store
The green tile and the tan tile works, any tile with specks or swirls will make the backsplash and countertop look too busy.
2 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 5, 2014 at 11:29PM
MarleneM
To me its really hard to tell with the tiles lined up against the green wall. Maybe try putting some white paper covering the green painted wall, and taking another picture with the green and beige tiles and see what you think. I like your inspiration photo. To achieve that look you may have to paint walls.
1 Like   Thanked by mm707    January 6, 2014 at 1:33AM
Ann
I agree with Marlene. With painted walls and the green tile, you'll get very close to your inspiration photo - which is a very nice look!
0 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 6, 2014 at 6:17AM
pqtmouse
The barely green tile would look nice I think.
0 Likes   Thanked by mm707    January 6, 2014 at 6:21AM
Marso Collection
They both look great. I agree with the pro. If you are not going to stay in the home long term then go with the tan. The green is not going to appeal to everyone.
0 Likes   January 17, 2014 at 8:42AM
Timeless Interiors
I do like the green tile, but I think the paint color washes it out. The tan glass color will give you more contrast, so you get that nice "pop"
0 Likes   January 17, 2014 at 1:38PM
howellmsue
If you put in a green tile you are forever stuck with green in your kitchen. I like your green wall color- but will you still want it to be that color in 10 years? Then you will be trying to find another color to go with the green tile. If you choose a neutral tile, you have any wall color (well almost).
0 Likes   January 17, 2014 at 5:55PM
mkmort
Why not a cream glass tile? Instead of the tan.
0 Likes   January 17, 2014 at 6:05PM
purplewatermelon
The tan. You only want your eye attracted to one thing or else your brain feels overwhelmed. Your granite is busy so the eye will go there. You are right that the green brings out the red. Opposite colors on color wheel bring out eachother.
0 Likes   January 17, 2014 at 6:24PM
We love your back splash tile choice, Tim. May we ask what it is?
We are renovating a home in Manhattan Beach and seeking...
jahq
Mary Behling
back splash help- color choice
Hi. Our kitchen is done minus the pendant light installation...
smgleason
Help for my kitchen back splash choice please....
So - am upgrading my kitchen (have some "before" pic's...
badrake
Living room
Does the small brushed nickel end table suit this room...
teafortwo
Need help with exterior of new house
We are moving into new home being finished. Builder...
scopprn
I want to place a tv over the fireplace, replace stone with new stone
I want to replace the cabinet on left with a wetbar...
caryn2point0
Need help with furniture placement for my family room
Attached are pictures starting from the right. The...
rachelmiranda
Show us your Christmas tree!
Only 2 days left until Christmas, and we want to see...
Jeannie Nguyen