Pi$$ed off & feel pi$$ed on
urn8tedon
MEN, STOP URINATING IN US LADIES SHOWERS! And that goes for you gross women also!

I have my money, my husband has his money, and then we have our money. We both have good careers. For example, we pay bills and vacation with our money. When my husband wanted to take over the unused dining room and convert to a " man cave " I agreed. He could takeover that space if I could go ahead and have my dream bathroom. I wouldn't interfere in his design choices if he wouldn't interfere in mine and we agreed we would spend our own personal funds.

My shower now smells like a ally behind a biker bar. There is a strong order of urine in my bathroom. My husband and 2 sub- adult sons use my shower. At first I couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from. I confronted all 3 men and THEY ALL confessed to urinating in MY shower. " What's the big deal, don't you?", was their comment. Appears to be a everyday common occurrence. I can't elimate the odor and I've tried everything. EVERYTHING! Afraid the shower tiles need replacing.

I was floored! Never, ever crossed my mind that folks pee in the shower. Mind boggling to me! The men ( who act like boys ) say they don't notice the odor. Why am I not surprised. Any women who I'm not embarrassed to invite into my bathroom and ask, all notice the stench.

Anyway, I feel completely disrespected that my pride and joy has been desecrated.

Now my dilemma and I feel very angry that Im even asking this question as I know it wouldn't be a issue if my family had even a ounce of respect for me and my hard earned bathroom.

Did I use the wrong tile? Too porous / absorbing? Travertine. Yes it's sealed

Honestly frustrated to tears!
smileyface2013
Replace the tiles and make them pay for it. Then maybe they'll remember to stop doing that!
January 4, 2014 at 6:23pm        Thanked by urn8tedon
urn8tedon
Sadly and completely ridiculous, I've removed the privacy set on my bathroom door and replaced with a entry / security lockset. I have the only key. Absurd situation
January 4, 2014 at 6:33pm     
rosecottagehome
I sure hope you had a good chat with the ring leader! I can totally understand your upset and feeling that your hard work has been disrespected. smileyface's suggestion is excellent. Hmmmm, that man cave have a Lazy Boy in it???? Good luck, hope you get this resolved soon.
January 4, 2014 at 6:39pm        Thanked by urn8tedon
urn8tedon
Rosecottagehome, I actually brought that up. I really enjoy the man cave. He did a wonderful job with the space and I wouldn't change a thing. I don't miss the formal dining room. I am welcome in that space as much as the men were welcome to use the bathroom. I would NEVER do anything to disrespect his pride and joy. I feel worthless and I told him exactly that with tears in my eyes and spit coming from my angry lips! If he wants to put a lock on the man cave door, he can go right ahead!
January 4, 2014 at 6:49pm   
Try full strength white vinegar. Keep spraying the walls and floor with it. Pour it down the drain, too. I bet most of the odor is in the drain.

Let the kids know their behavior is disrespectful and disgusting and make it clear to your husband that he has lost his sex appeal. YUCK!

Get them this accent piece for the man cave.
January 4, 2014 at 6:54pm     
rosecottagehome
So what is he doing to make this all right?
January 4, 2014 at 6:55pm   
urn8tedon
Were not talking. I'm hoping he, AND THE BOYS, do the right thing. He became acquainted with the tile person who did the work. I hope he sets up a meeting with him to resolve the situation. We'll see :\ The smell is so bad, if I don't keep the bathroom door closed, the smell creeps into the bedroom. I light a candle first thing in the morning, and it burns all day until bed time.
January 4, 2014 at 7:02pm   
sieglerdesign
Travertine is a sub-standard porous material for an adult master bathroom in my professional view. I never specify it at all for commercial or residential use. The only time I've ever used it was to replace some vinyl flooring at a small entry of a TRACT home years ago. Travertine has natural beauty and appeal but, I think it has been over sold and under explained in the market place. It is not a HIGH PERFORMANCE material and showers need high performance materials.

The really good news is the advancement in impervious grouts. Grout width and composition is a weak link in the system to create a moisture barrier in a bathroom. Some of the new grouts are Urethane and Epoxy and are mold and mildew resistant and stain resistant. See LATICRETE SpectrLOCK. It is much more expensive than old fashion mortar grout but, far superior in performance.

Don't get me started on how crude humans can be. it feels like a couple of generations have grown up with no manners, sense of decorum, consideration etc... the proof is in the "come back" of charm schools so to speak or at least the classes and training as being taught by large organizations to their people. If they feel the need then it must be effecting "the bottom line". Guess this is the "coarsening of America" we've been hearing about.

That being said, I will say though that having many female friends with weak bladders, I know it's within the realm of "normal" to not always have as much bladder control as would be desirable and especially women who have had challenging pregnancies. Also, with onset of age comes greater bladder challenges. Remember the old trick to get toddlers to pee is to turn on running water so, running water does effect our bladder response. So, while I would discourage urinating in the shower, the fact is that it is normal that it can happen.

Bathrooms are just really incredibly challenging rooms to design, make super functional and keep BEAUTIFUL! I support you in your aesthetic goals but, believe you need to dial up your standards for the quality of materials used. Also, think some kind of house keeping rules for bathroom will need to implemented if your bathroom is used by other adults of any gender. Cleaning and housekeeping is a huge part of keeping interiors pristine and appealing.
January 4, 2014 at 7:08pm        Thanked by urn8tedon
happyasaclam
Oh no. Here we go again.......
January 4, 2014 at 7:17pm     
solincia
Add a plunger to the bathroom...that should resolve the issue.
January 4, 2014 at 7:20pm     
jn3344
...the drain?
January 4, 2014 at 7:25pm     
Mercedes Stenberg
Bwahaha... Add a urinal to the shower?
January 4, 2014 at 7:27pm     
grobby
Either schedule a psych session or get those " men" checked for a urinary infection, know, animals urinate in strange places when they have an infection. There's more going on here than using a bathroom, uninvited. We need to get to the root of this problem, LOL. Seriously, have a talk about respect and privacy and " hang tough." They're being very defiant.
January 4, 2014 at 7:34pm        Thanked by urn8tedon
bsellers1394
I am so sorry that you are feeling so soiled and disrespected.

Do you by any chance have a cat? I've had a cat in the past that insisted on urinating in the bathroom sink. THAT is some strong smelling urine. If they spray anywhere...WOW, that's smelly. Do you have a closet attached to the bathroom that maybe a pet is using?

I just am having a hard time imaging diluted urine in shower water to be that smelly. Seems the water would literally rinse that away...perplexing. ..Again, I'm so sorry.

What about a professional "grout cleaning" company? Perhaps that would deoderize it? Can any professional say if that would be ok...of course, at this point you consider it ruined anyway, right?
January 4, 2014 at 7:43pm     
bexaliikai
Yawn. Plunger dilemma was funnier. You set your own bar too high. Try again.
January 4, 2014 at 7:47pm     
chookchook2
Load of rubbish.
January 4, 2014 at 7:47pm     
bsellers1394
Oh! Happy and Star! Gotcha! Yep, I think you're right!
January 4, 2014 at 7:50pm     
Have your cleaning lady use that toilet brush you gave her for Christmas. That should clean it right up.
January 4, 2014 at 7:59pm     
bevballew
I find it hard to believe you have a smell. The water and urine will go down the drain. Maybe you may need to snake your drain. Sometching may be accumulating in there and the urine may penetrate what is stuck.
January 4, 2014 at 8:00pm     
sunnydrew
why don't you get a life? Your posts are ridiculous.
January 4, 2014 at 8:01pm     
smileyface2013
okay, I just read the plunger thread, and you guys are right. thanks for calling it out.

In honor of this unique dilemma, I submit the following photo of a toilet in a shower:

January 4, 2014 at 8:02pm     
abbyjean
Just made the connection.....must be a EUROPEAN thing. No offense intended to anyone....just say that word out loud to understand.
January 4, 2014 at 8:05pm     
PirateFoxy
Maybe the issue isn't the peeing in the shower at all, but rather the fact that a great many males seem unable to AIM when using the toilet - check the floor in that area for suspicious whiffs. Perhaps make a rule that all toilet use must happen sitting down? I'm sure someone could make a suitably decorative sign reminding them where and how they are allowed to urinate. (Should they light a candle first? What scent would work with eau de pee?)
January 4, 2014 at 8:08pm   
solincia
This:
January 4, 2014 at 8:13pm     
smileyface2013
@abbyjean, reminds me of a joke:

Q: If you go into the bathroom American and you come out of the bathroom American, what are you in the bathroom?

A: European
January 4, 2014 at 8:14pm     
Its a fact that male bladders empty more thoroughly from a sitting position and women's from a stance. We just have it all backwards. Is your aim better than theirs? Sounds like you're ready for a family Pi$$ing contest and you might win with some practice - a handy skill for a lady to have! Put $$ on it!
January 4, 2014 at 8:19pm   
abbyjean
I have heard that joke, too, which made me think of this, but there are times I change the answer to RUSSIAN!
January 4, 2014 at 8:19pm     
smileyface2013
My apologies in advance if that was offensive! No harm intended!
January 4, 2014 at 8:20pm     
urn8tedon
Decoenthusiaste, any tricks to making the stream go further. Pressing 2 fingers like one does when they want to whistle really loud?
January 4, 2014 at 8:34pm   
bsellers1394
Cherrios, right?
January 4, 2014 at 8:36pm     
urn8tedon
Grobby, I don't thinks it's about being defiant or marking their territory. My husband has never marked me personally, and I don't believe my sons girlfriends have been marked either. Its just a total lack or respect!
January 4, 2014 at 8:38pm   
m3459
If any p-trap (NO PUN INTENDED ;-Q) in your bathroom dries out, i.e., doesn't have water in the bottom of the trap, then you can get a smell of the sewer gas backing up into the plumbing. So, if there is any sink or tub that maybe isn't used very often, that could be the problem. Just searching for solutions before you spend a bunch of money on your shower!
January 4, 2014 at 8:42pm        Thanked by urn8tedon
urn8tedon
Thanks m3459. I'll have the P traps inspected
January 4, 2014 at 8:45pm   
sieglerdesign
Good idea to have drain and all plumbing pipes checked out. Smell in gym lockers, bathrooms, health club changing rooms is not just about urine. It's about growing bacteria. Growing bacteria smells so, you have to find if there is a source of ungoing continuous growing and FLOURISHING bacteria. Sewer gas does come up with UNUSED plumbing but, not with pipes with water going through all the time so, does not seem like sewer gas would be the source of smell. The other day I removed the plunger for a sink drain. Stopper not pulled up and cleaned in several years. It was shocking to see the giant clumps of black moldy goop on that one little stopper. Soaked stopper in bleach until it was spotless. Will get a new one soon.
January 4, 2014 at 9:36pm        Thanked by urn8tedon
happyasaclam
siegler, don't waste your talent on this discusions. User name: ur n 8ed on. :D
January 5, 2014 at 8:42am   
happyasaclam
So glad so many have already caught on to this one! ;)
January 5, 2014 at 8:43am     
rosecottagehome
Honestly! Why do some people have to find humor in putting up bogus dilemmas!! Surely there must be other websites for this kind of nonsense other than this one. Tsk, tsk!
January 5, 2014 at 8:54am     
Suggested dining seat upholstery color/design?
Just got new black/cream rug & finished the sage green...
Help! No idea what color to paint this old farmhouse!
This old farmhouse has great bones, but needs a lot...
Dream Bathroom
If you could have any bathroom you want, what would...
Comment on plan
Hi everyone, So it's 5 years since we moved into our...
Squeaky floor fixes?
Do you have any squeaky boards in your floor? Have...