How do I design my living room around this chandelier?
Sarah Riley
This chandelier cannot be moved so I would like some help With colours and styles. I very unsure of how to decorate this room incorporating the chandelier. It is a large room with windows and doors on one side. The insert where the chandelier is ,is all wood and there are wood beams just below the ceiling. In each corner of the room there are red brick columns. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
MarleneM
What is on the middle and outer part of the ceiling? Is that wallpaper or stucco? Can you post some more pictures of room?
January 4, 2014 at 11:58pm   
zmhome
Why can't it be moved?
January 5, 2014 at 12:06am   
Sarah Riley
It is extremely heavy and is bolted to metal beams in the roof. It is solid brass and was brought out from France in the early seventies. So I suppose you could actually move it if you were willing to pay the money to do so. This is not within our budget.

The substance on the ceiling is textured. Having memory block as to the name of it. However we will be removing it. The walls are painted. Will post some more photos
January 5, 2014 at 12:43am     
okdokegal
If you add some pictures so we can see the rest of the room.... there are things that could be done to change the chandelier as well, that is limited but. (it would not be removed)
January 5, 2014 at 2:08am   
chookchook2
Set up a very safe ladder. Put down drop sheets. Put on a mask.Turn off the electrics. Vaccum the light fitting very well, remove the globes and stuff paper towels where they were. Spray paint your fixture a fashionable colour, or black ,in gloss paint. Let dry and do another coat. Try to aim paint away from the wood ceiling.
January 5, 2014 at 2:31am     
chookchook2
Paint your wall scones to match.
January 5, 2014 at 2:34am     
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I suspect the chandelier is bronze not brass and is in the antique renaissance style. It is quite lovely and I suspect quite valuable. It clearly is much nicer in quality than anything you are going to buy in any showroom today unless it is a very high end showroom. I would keep it and try to work it into your design scheme. It also appears as if the sconces are very high on the wall but will wait for more pictures. First thing I would do is paint the ceiling and woodwork all the same color after you remove the popcorn texture. I need more pictures to get an idea of your design style taste. Do not write this chandelier off please and do not spray it in any way or form. If you really hate it sell it but don't deface it.
January 5, 2014 at 3:08am     
Matt??? Is this the right thread?
January 5, 2014 at 3:38am   
OnePlan
Think he's been hacked !
January 5, 2014 at 3:43am   
Good thinking OnePlan - didn't sound like him!
January 5, 2014 at 4:03am     
Snaggy
Its on most posts he made a comment on !
January 5, 2014 at 4:18am   
FABULOUS! JUST FABULOUS!

I have a very strong opinion on what to do with that area. After you remove the popcorn ceiling, paint it Donald Kaufman DKC-44. It is the most perfect color to paint up around the chandy. It is so special because it has this chameleon effect…during the day it is this powdery blue and at night it get kind of grayish. Absolutely gorgeous. It is like no other blue and when you look up into that space, it will be such focal point
January 5, 2014 at 5:09am     
MarleneM
If its popcorn ceiling thats been there since 70's, get it tested for asbestos before removing yourself.
January 5, 2014 at 2:53pm     
Sarah Riley
Thank you all for your comments. Ideally
We would like to leave as is. I'm not keen on the ceiling or the Wood. Does anyone have any ideas on how to successfully clean the chandelier
January 5, 2014 at 4:58pm     
mickisue
As chookchook said in her recommendation about painting, put a drop cloth on the floor. Get a very safe ladder. remove the lightbulbs, and cover the outlets. Turn off the electricity to the chandelier. Then spray it with a mild cleaner (I use one I found at Target that's basically water with vinegar, until it's dripping wet. Start at the bottom and work your way up, so you don't have dirty spray dripping on the bottom of the chandelier.Work your way up and down until the dripping spray is clean.

The chandelier may be gorgeous and expensive, but it seems totally out of place in the architecture of the room--more at home in a chalet than a sunny room with a window wall. I would probably try to find a way to get it removed, and sell it to someone who appreciated it better than I.
January 5, 2014 at 9:15pm     
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I think that the chandelier is fine with the more contemporary things you just need to add a few more antique items to the room so that it will have some related items. The key to an eclectic room is that the divergent items need to have some commonality in them.
January 7, 2014 at 6:31am     
Sustainable Dwellings
It is a strange style with that contemporary ceiling. ?. It is a beautiful chandelier, however. I would consider painting the wood on the ceiling surround.
January 7, 2014 at 6:35am     
loveydoveydesigner
You should go to a thrift shop and get antique furniture and then paint them bright colors and make them really cool because that room looks like it is very boring. (No offense)
January 7, 2014 at 6:39am   
jn3344
Very unusual. I think it looks cool. I would clean the chandelier for sure and keep it. Why not? It's there and it looks like it is high quality.

Depending on that wood that pyramid thing is made of I might paint it. But I would keep the wood beams.

As for color I have no idea and that's rare for me. I am thinking something out of the ordinary but I am not sure what that might be.
January 7, 2014 at 6:47am   
how do i decorate my living room around this sofa
Ruby red sofa with gold. i have red carpet and am stuck...
I need help with Designing my living room. Dont know what to do.
I have tall ceilings and nice shutters but I dont know...
How do I transition wall color from my kitchen to my living room.
My kitchen wall goes into my living room. This is a...
Decorative fireplace covers
Insulated decorative magnetic fireplace draft stoppers...
Paint or stain a new kitchen island?
Renovating the kitchen but keeping the current natural...
Wood stain
We are building a house. We will have a mahogany front...
Outside window garden.
When I sit at my computer desk I look out to the backyard....
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...