Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scholastic

Need help with color of house & trim, need CURB APPEAL!

scholastic
10 years ago
Front door has been changed to dark walnut woodgrain with upper window....what about wood shutters with black hardware? Add a larger fence? Add a fence around patio? Please..I need help!!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Assuming the red is staying:

Paint the garage doors the same red. Right now some of the trim is red and some white. Paint it all charcoal, including the downspout as the white does funny things to the outline of your house. Paint the muntins charcoal, too.

No shutters, please. They won’t fit properly.

Like this:

Glencoe, IL - Private Residence, Addition · More Info
    scholastic thanked JudyG Designs
  • scholastic
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We will be replacing the front windows with casement w/ grilles, what color should I choose? White? Would you recommend keeping the grilles? I do not want to paint the new windows. Do you like the red color? I am thinking about changing it...so the window color needs to coodinate with house color and trim. I like the stone sidewalk / trees idea! Thank you!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Here is a picture of a house with all white accents and a stained door.
    Exterior pictures · More Info
    scholastic thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    White windows will look good.....it is probably the wisest choice.
    scholastic thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • felixgrantham
    10 years ago
    By grills, I assume you mean panes. What is the style of your new door? Please post a picture. I'd keep panes, but do fewer, larger ones, maybe divide large window into 9 panes & bays into 3 each.

Please, don't do white windows -they look like builder cheap spec houses.
    Do charcoal or bronze.

Your white foundation is distracting, please paint it a darker color - charcoal or brown.
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    The brown wood looks a little dated. I would opt for a gray or khaki. Alternatively, Cover the entire area over the garage door and over the square window with horizontal siding in khaki.
    Traditional Exterior · More Info
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    Since your roof is such a prominent feature, make sure to take the color of it into consideration if you change the brownish red color. You don't want it to clash. Cute house though.
  • scholastic
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    to felixgrantham......you asked that I post a pic of new front door. What are your thoughts? Thank you for giving me ideas!
  • scholastic
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We are planning to install a twin casement (dark bronze...looks black though) in place of large picture window......the other 3 windows will also be casement. As for color...our roof is grayish/green....this will play a huge part in choosing color for body and garage doors. We are also planning to remove all wood and adding stucco. Do you think the stucco would look good? I love your ideas!
  • scholastic
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    to felixgrantham.......should we do casement windows or do we have it all wrong and stick with double-hung?
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Paint it deep navy/charcoal blue and leave the trim white. If you go with stucco, the lightest shade of the brick. Foundation paint should be the darkest tone in the brick.
    mgh1 · More Info

Magnolia Residence 03 · More Info
  • PRO
    garden design online
    10 years ago
    Only change to some color ane trim aren't enough.should have a focus,add a porch,a fence.add some flower,shrubs....I do some.
  • scholastic
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can you send me another pic of the entire front of house? OMG we love your idea........we wont be able to match brick (I assume the pillars are sitting on bricks) as it is no longer available....is there something else on the market that could be used and still looks like it belongs......
  • chrisinky
    10 years ago
    I really like the added porch. You could probably cover the pillar bases in stucco to match what you are doing to the house. If you are leaving the the wood you could make them out of similar wood & paint them the same.

As for a color for the wood or stucco, how about a lighter shade of the grayish green from the roof. It looks nice with the brick, so you could keep that going. If you want to paint the garage doors, you could probably paint them the same color as the roof. I really like the color scheme on the Magnolia Residence 3 that brickin posted. I have that saved in my ideabook & have seen people use that same picture in discussions several times. It just has a nice flow.
  • PRO
    Grown Solutions
    9 years ago
    Add one of these Hanging Garden Trellises from grownsolutions.com in front of the bay window at the edge of the porch to create a nice focal point for the house.