Remove the wall or not?
sondramartina
My question is should we do semi open concept or leave it closed? This photo with black and white floor is what our friend did with his kitchen and we are thinking of doing similar and refacing our cabinets ,new countertop and floor and remove the wall. But we do cook ,we caramelize onions almost every day :)) and kitchen is not always super tidy . Is just removing my white louvre doors and frame better idea?
Personally I would keep the half wall to provide some separation in this case.
    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 9:11AM
marci4
I actually like your white louver doors-they fit well with your decorating scheme, which has a very nice MCM vibe.

And frankly, I think the bar in the kitchen in the first picture is too high.

I would leave the wall as-is and focus on updating the kitchen.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 9:23AM
Seattle Staged to Sell and Design LLC
I also like your half wall and the way it separates the two rooms. Especially, when you are saying that kitchen is not tidy all the times. Can you make the bar, counter high? Why is it so high?
    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 9:30AM
sondramartina
It is not tidy because I need more storage space in the kitchen too. Can I achieve that without removing the wall by adding something that will provide that extra storage plus eat in kitchen for 4?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 9:33AM
sondramartina
Right now we have this rustic looking nook that provides some storage but not enough,and I don't like the look .
    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 9:38AM
karen paul interiors
If you do not really use the bar area, you might want to consider doing flush-mounted cabinets without hardware and this will give you shallow space for additional storage.
    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 9:41AM
karemore55
:))
    Bookmark   Thanked by sondramartina    January 5, 2014 at 9:42AM
sondramartina
Kitchen is 14' x 10'.and I don't really care about bar ,just eat in kitchen and storage
    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 9:45AM
brickln
With the dining area that close, I would forego the eat-in kitchen and create a pantry there for more storage. You may be able to fit in a counter with a couple of seats as well.
I'd also move the DR table over toward the wall and the sideboard to the opposite wall so the path between the living area and kitchen is clear.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 9:49AM
sondramartina
Maybe we could have L shaped island instead of existing breakfast nook where we can eat and have storage? Would that feel crammed?
    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 10:21AM
sondramartina
Or if we remove the wall is this configuration viable?

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 10:27AM
mickisue
Whatever you do, don't do what your friend did. The style in the kitchen clashes terribly with the style and the wall color in the next room.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 10:33AM
bungalowmo
I can't believe how many people think pic 1 is your place. I guess they missed the part about the black & white floor being your friends house.

I'd keep your dining room as is & get rid of the kitchen nook if ya hate it.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sondramartina    January 5, 2014 at 10:43AM
sondramartina
Ok so the first picture is not my kitchen that was just the reference idea :)
    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 10:51AM
Denita
Take the opportunity to replace the kitchen nook with floor to ceiling cabintry and a small microwave cook center with prep area. Something like the inspiration below (concept only, not style)
Kitchen Contenders in the 2013 NKBA Design Competition

If you have enough room, you could have a small table in front of the floor to ceiling cabinets something like this pic (again, concept only)
285 Central Park West: Kitchen
    Bookmark   Thanked by sondramartina    January 5, 2014 at 10:52AM
Denita
My personal preference is to have the microwave several steps away from the real cooking so there is no interference from others when you are cooking. For example, see below for one showing the microwave cook center and floor to ceiling storage with a little prep space, see below

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 10:56AM
Barbara Griffith Designs
It seems you like the open wall concept. But..it is not practical. The last picture you showed has a VERY small bar area. Look at the 3 stools..can you really picture 3 people sitting on those stools that are actually touching each other. And yours could not really be larger because the width of the room is only 10' and that would include the doorway. You would then be giving up your dining room so you would have no seating elsewhere. Does this really make sense. One more question, in the picture of YOUR kitchen that shows the sink, what is corner base cabinet from the stove to the sink that is so much deeper than a standard 24" deep cabinet is that necessary? I would keep the wall. All new cabinets and include them on the walls where the built in breakfast nook was located. I would include tall pantry cabinets in the corner and on the ends and an open countertop in the middle of the longer wall. I would then add an island that is open underneath and only 18" wide and maybe 5' long, in the center of the kitchen. This would serve as a good work surface as well as a place to eat and put the stools underneath. I would opt for better storage in the kitchen and keeping the dining room area.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 11:24AM
sondramartina
The area between stove and sink does not provide storage only working surface because underneath are basement stairs and opening . But until we gut it we won't know for sure what can be done with it.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 3:50PM
sondramartina
Barbara here is sketch,is that what you suggested?
    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 3:54PM
sondramartina
I think I am not going to open that wall even if I get brand new kitchen. I am shopping around right now and looking for estimates . I would like modern cabinets but I am having very hard time visualizing them after this oak . Any other ideas, suggestions? Should I go with high gloss ? Will they go out of style quickly and how practical are they for maintenance?
    Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 10:22AM
Barbara Griffith Designs
First of all, I am glad you will be keeping the wall, and, yes that is somewhat the layout above I would suggest. Second, you do not really need to have white cabinets, but if you choose white or any other finish, I would not do a gloss finish. For a timeless look, keep frame design simple. Just look at all these colors http://www.kitchencraft.com/get-started/design-your-room/finishes-and-glazes It can be mind numbing. I suggest you go to a home center and ask to take home door panels in shades & finishes you think you may like. Look at them in your own home day & night light. Find what YOU really like. What makes cabinets really pop is the hardware. Spend the money and choose something hefty.
    Bookmark   Thanked by sondramartina    January 6, 2014 at 10:37AM
anitanazar
Our home is an older home with separate kitchen with large eat in area. And I am SO relieved that I didn't go for those newer open concept kitchen and living room houses that we saw when were looking for a new home. I really wanted it but I cook a lot (mostly stirfrys, steaks, and chicken) on my gas range so I make a mess! (I have upgraded to gas since these pictures were taken). It's nice to have that separation when guests are over they don't have to be subject to my chaos! lol
    Bookmark   Thanked by sondramartina    January 6, 2014 at 10:47AM
sondramartina
Without some major changes removing the wall in this configuration would not look "natural" so it is a no for me plus we do cook a lot (no frozen dinners :p) . I found a supplier for cabinet doors ,great price !
1 Like    Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 4:58PM
Leicht Westchester Kitchens
Hi Sondramartina,
Opening the wall will definitely open your space and make it seem larger, but take away that added privacy. Think, do you ever close the door when cooking? If not, it might be time to take the plunge to forever open. Doing so you can extend the kitchen further out and connect it with the dining room.

If you're in the area, come join us for breakfast and check out our free kitchen session every first Saturday of the month: http://leichtwestchester.com/how-much-will-your-kitchen-cost-class-registration

Best of luck with the kitchen reno! Let us know if you have any questions.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 12:26PM
sondramartina
Leicht,thanks. We are not planning complete overhaul but still many things. In the end who knows once we start we might do more than planned. We were planning to keep existing cabinet frames and do refacing and keep the appliances but everything else including flooring will be new.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 1:01PM
Remove Entry Wall or Not
I need help deciding on removing my entry wall. If...
angieogilvy
removing plaster walls and replacing with drywall
I am removing plaster walls and replacing with drywall...
bswets
Need Help for removing a wall between family room and kitchen
I want to remove this wall between my kitchen and family...
Amy Ottenheimer Bouchard
Please Help: Remove the wall or don't remove the wall.
I am starting the reno plans to my house and focusing...
klynjme20
Removing a wall/designing a large space
We are removing a wall to make an unusable dining/living...
pennydogs
Harver Health Insurance Group Tokyo news - Vara medveten om influensan
Om du tror att etikettsreglerna ar begransad till vilken...
catavena
kathy's kitchen
inspired by the love to cook
jokat6364
10 years old porcelain shower. Is it still good? Help!
I still love our shower. Is it done, out of style?...
floreslj
Need some advice
I'm replacing the leather sofa with another sofa that...
Sue MIchael