Big. Ugly. TV wall needs strokes of brilliance.
rcf94
I have a 16-18 foot wall that I must have my TV on (cant get a cable hook up anywhere else). Right now I have an ikea TV stand and its also accessorized with a dog bed. Paint color is called "cracked wheat," and we have golds and burgundies in the room now (see photo that shows drapes on the slider). PLEASE help me with this design disaster. I hate this wall but I'm scared to do or buy anything without a plan!!!!

This is a middle class, suburban tract home. Very little architectural interest. Thank you very much!!!!!!!
halfpint2
Have the cable moved.
0 Likes   January 5, 2014 at 11:16AM
rcf94
The cable cannot be moved, we have had 2 different cable TV installers here and they both say it cannot be done.
0 Likes   January 5, 2014 at 11:41AM
OnePlan
If you go for a statement wall where the tv is - then it will be a feature in the room rather than an elephant !
Here's some examples to hopefully inspire you !
Media Wall
SUNNY FLAT
FORMA Design
Houzz Tour: A Labor of Modern Love in Costa Mesa

(And you can always find a posh doggie bed too !! )
1 Like   January 5, 2014 at 12:45PM
joani duval
THE SUGESTIONS ABOVE ARE TERRIFIC....YET THINK THRU WHAT THE ROOM NEEDS TO DO FOR YOU. DO YOU NEED STORAGE? A PLACE TO SERVE DRINKS? tAKE A QUICK LOOK AT THE POTTERY BARN MEDIA FURNITURE AND SEE HOW THEY INCORPORATE CHESTS AND SHELVING WITHF DISPLAYS OF ART, PHOTOS, CLOCKS TO FULLY USE THE WALL....AND SELL YOU STUFF.... THE iKEA CATOLOG DOES THIS TOO. You can hang Besta storage whereever you can anchor the suspension strips to studs You can use Billy bookcase on either side of the TV and personalize them with wallpaper panels on posterboard in the back, switching out some shelves with glass Consider including lighting like wall sconces and candle holders. Sketch it out using your whole wall ( does not mean you need to do actual size but if you have a place to spread out, go for it! Good luck and have fun!
1 Like   January 5, 2014 at 4:08PM
D. S. Brennan Photography
We had a similar situation in our 1960s ranch. Definitely wall-mount the TV, that helps a lot. We installed a narrow shelf (LACK from IKEA) all along the wall under the TV, and use it to prop up large art pieces. You can also do framed art around the TV like a gallery wall. The photo I've attached is just after shelf installation, before we added artwork, etc. We displayed some of my large-format feather photographs by leaning them on the shelf - like in this shot, but on the shelf in the attached image:
2 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 6:11AM
Your easiest cheapest fix is probably back to Ikea for a wall unit. Your current media console is a bit too small anyway. A wall unit will give you lots of options for accessorizing with different colors and forms.
2 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 6:28AM
howellmsue
I like to close doors on my television because to me it isn't "pretty" to look at. What about a taller entertainment center with doors like this?
3 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 7:08AM
Designer Window Fashions
OnePlan gave some great ideas - especially #4, love the floating shelves on either side of the tv to 'frame' it in. The floating unit under the t.v can be used to hide the cable wires and you can drill behind the tv to fish the wires through. I'm not an expert but I'm sure there's a way to do that
1 Like   January 8, 2014 at 7:18AM
DaleAllenSpiry designs
Take a look at a product we have for inserting your TV in a wall behind a two way mirror.
https://www.facebook.com/Invisaview

Any frame style can be pick out by the client and it's a simple install. The insert is custom fabricated to your dimensions. We have three styles:
flush mount for the thinner TV's with 4" of space
partial insert with a two inch cap that allows for 6" of space
surface mount for on the wall installation
1 Like   January 8, 2014 at 7:30AM
Big empty wall behind flat screen TV. Need ideas!
We have a flat screen TV on a low cabinet with nothing...
Need Ideas for exterior of Big Ugly House
We just bought this big ugly house. We don't know what...
Need help with our new family room. Its big but ugly!
Hi! Bought this house a year ago and I have a love...
big wall empty wall with a wall mounted tv
Hi i need some help i have a big wall in my living...
Save or not? Kitchen patterned wallboard
Is there any reason I should leave it for prosperity's...
What should we put in this hole?
My wife decided she needed to spruce up the front yard...
LEDs produce enough light for kitchen?
We are thinking about replacing our recessed can lights...
Need help for my living room
Hello, I need help with the coffee table and rug for...
ideas for practical kitchen floorplan?
My husband and I live in an 1960's home. We love the...