Paint, stain keep as is?
dbclark52
home built in 2000. Red Oak floors, trim, doors and cabinets all the same. I'm wanting to update with more diverse look but not sure which to change. my I initial thought is to change the stain on th floors and cabinets and paint doors and trim. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks
dbclark52
more of the same through out the house
January 5, 2014 at 2:11pm   
MS Colours Inc
Definitely Paint all the trim and doors.
January 5, 2014 at 2:27pm     
A Crew of Two
Oak is a pain to paint. You must use the right products so the wood grain does not show through the paint. You could lightly sand them and stain them darker.
Hallway Dining Room
January 5, 2014 at 2:43pm     
Jan Neiges, CKD
If you have a lot of doors facing a small hallway - as it appears to be the case with the photo you provided, a great way to visually enlarge the space is to paint the doors and trim the same color as the wall color - I would not touch the floor as I think you can gain more of a dramatic change by painting trim and door. On another note - changing out the baseboard trim to paint grade trim, and making the baseboard trim taller - like 4" to 6" will also help in updating the look. Good luck and have fun.
January 5, 2014 at 2:48pm     
oceanwaves108
I would paint it it looks a little old fashioned, but I do like the red- brown look
January 6, 2014 at 4:26pm   
prisbent
Hi Crew of Two, I love the Dining Room (second pic that you show). As I have dark trim, I would like to know the wall color and any info I could see re this home. Would appreciate anything you can give me. Also like your idea of dark staining the trim in the first pic. Thank you!
January 6, 2014 at 4:35pm   
Jill J. Wallace, Color Redesign
Paint color would change the stark contrast in place right now. For an update you could work in two, three tops, colors to transition between the rooms. Gray/khaki / greens would work with the red wood tones. Is the main front door the same wood color? You could leave it wood and paint the hallway doors light color. I've attached a photo of a client's wood ceiling that melding in better with color on the walls.
January 6, 2014 at 4:53pm     
moonp1e
Our house was built in '99 and has similar stained trim and doors with oak floors. I'm gradually working room to room painting all the doors, trim and windows white. Initially I wanted to paint the cabinets too, but like A Crew of Two mentioned the grain is hard to hide so I opted not to. For the rooms with oak cabinetry you could try paint colors that blend with the tones in the oak like terra cotta. The cabinets seem less noticeable, and the white trim is a nice contrast.
January 6, 2014 at 6:50pm     
dbclark52
Jill J.... I am thinking this way. my master bath has same trim and doors but tile floors and I painted a sage green that looks really nice. To the point I am looking at just paint on the walls for my upstairs that has mostly carpet and no wood flooring. It is my down stairs that is about 60% red oak wood flooring.

I think my plan of attack is to paint wall and doors first since I believe they are what makes it look so busy. Then , if still busy work the trim and the cabinets if needed. I have convinced myself to leave the floors as is since they are true hardwood.
January 7, 2014 at 9:24am     
dbclark52
and yes.... The front door is same red oak stain
January 7, 2014 at 9:25am   
anitanazar
If budget is an issue I would just paint out all the trim, baseboard, doors and spindles of railing white and leave the floors as-is. If budget allows, I would go one step further and darken the stain on the floors. Either option will automatically update your space.

Some inspiration pics...
Travis Heights Residence
Quiet Casual Home: Entryway and Stair
Stair Hall
Kwinter Design
January 7, 2014 at 9:43am     
simpleFLOORS Seattle
I agree, changing the trim and paint will be the easiest dramatic change for the least cost.
January 7, 2014 at 12:23pm   
I’d leave the floors as is, at least for now. I would paint all the trim first and see how it looks with the doors left natural. If you like it, I would change the hardware to something darker and clunkier ( a great design word).

January 7, 2014 at 12:42pm     
Loretta Foster
The red oak is limiting your use of paint colors and furniture because it is not very neutral. If you prefer warm tone paint colors and furniture it looks nice. If you want to update, I agree with a previous post and would change out the baseboards to paint grade and something more substantial. I would paint the baseboard, trim, and stair spindles, and paint the doors. A darker stain on the floors is so popular with most people because it is so much more neutral. You don't live in Indianhead Park by any chance? :)
January 7, 2014 at 12:49pm   
dbclark52
Loretta, I live in Louisville Colorado. The advice of paint trim (will look into replacing to paint grade) sounds like what I'll start with. I like the examples of the white stain and colored walls against the red oak. doors are still questionable so will wait to see against finished trim.

Next question. ... would I lose too much continuity by doing this down stairs and leaving upstairs as is. Possibly tying together with th banister.
January 7, 2014 at 3:14pm   
Loretta Foster
You're right to think about the continuity. The examples in some of the earlier posts were white paint though, not stain. Even though the post by Judy G is not oak, it is a beautiful example of the stained door and white trim. If you could at least do that on the first floor and the upstairs hallway....it wouldn't look like you stopped at the "back of the house". The stair railing and bannisters will be a little challenging though...my inclination would be to just paint the spindles to tie them into the other trim....even though I would like to see the rest of the oak stair parts a little darker to match the floor and doors a little better. Re-staining the stairway can be a big job. Good luck and enjoy the process!
January 7, 2014 at 4:03pm     
jkody
Your doors aren't oak, they are fir. I might paint the jambs and the trim (or replace the trim) but I wouldn't paint the doors, at least not first. It's a lot of work and you might not be satisfied with the result.

Instead, the first thing I would do is replace the stair rail. Then I would replace all the door hardware to match the style of the new railing.
January 7, 2014 at 7:14pm     
bellburgmaggie
If you have children you will see every fingerprint on white doors. The doors look fine with the flooring. The baseboards are too dinky. You can beef them up by simply adding a piece of trim above the existing baseboard and painting. The problem with your house is simple. Everything looks gosh with builder's grade white walls. I worked in a hospital and not even the surgical suites are that sterile. Save your $ and put a warm color on the wall first.
January 7, 2014 at 7:38pm     
bellburgmaggie
Here is another idea.
January 7, 2014 at 7:41pm     
vjs12
I love the stain wood. My house was built in 1992 and all doors and trim are white. It cost extra to have stained doors and trim. You are lucky to have it. I've already painted them three times. I've had stain wood before and it is much warmer looking and low maintenance. I would paint the walls a darker, warmer color to compliment the wood.
January 7, 2014 at 7:48pm     
mwilson1
I would leave the hardwoods. They are nice warm tone. Painting the trim and doors white I'll make a huge difference. You want to consider adding white crown molding too. They will make an even bigger difference.
January 7, 2014 at 8:20pm   
MOSS MANOR | Sarah James Moss
I would leave the doors stained, and paint the trim and walls. Real wood doors have a higher replacement cost than paint-grade doors. Keeping the wood doors natural will also be less maintenance. I would also recommend upgrading your hardware. If you paint the trim, be sure your painter primes it with an oil-based primer and sands between coats to achieve the smoothest finish. Paint the spindles on your staircase the same as your trim, leaving the banister natural/stained. You might consider adding an enhancer to the baseboards to beef it up, and possibly crown molding. Check out a recent blog post for ideas and rules of thumb: http://mossmanor.com/crown-molding-size-matters. Good luck!
January 8, 2014 at 7:58am     
I agree with the advice to leave the lovely doors and floor and paint the trim only. You could also, optionally, paint the spindles on the staircase along with the trim (but not the bannister or newel post). This is a classic combination that is original to many houses, including our 1929 one (i.e. painted trim, baseboards and staircase spindles; stained solid wood doors, bannisters, and floors).
January 8, 2014 at 8:06am     
slewisoh
i would change out both the baseboard and casing for beefier, paint grade versions (more affordable than i expected) paint them a warm white, paint the walls a warm neutral, and then update the doors with new hardware. I paint everything that doesn't move but would hesitate to paint solid wood doors. I say make them a design feature. Perhaps you can break up the expanse of wood by adding a runner? Or paint doors that you would like to have visually disappear but maintain "focal point" doors in the wood finish. i have a hallway of doors that are white but am installing a swinging door to my kitchen that will be stained.
January 8, 2014 at 8:12am   
annievcrane
We have a very similar look to our house. Our spindles are already white (off white- White Dove) and they look really nice and I think the natural oak color looks fine with it. I wouldn't try to stain anything darker, it will chip off. A warmer wall color would help tie in the oak. We have Manchester Tan in the entry and it is a pale beige/griege. It looks good with the oak. I agree about doing just the door trim and baseboards white and leaving the doors stained. That is what my plan is too. I added Oil rubbed bronze hardware and hinges and that updated the doors instantly.
January 9, 2014 at 9:18am     
Fireplace
I could not resist doing my fireplace when I found...
Squeaky floors......
I pose this question dear Houzzers- in older/historic...
Exterior look of the villa
We're stuck at what you see. I don't know what to...
Arch Wall: Yay or Nay ?
I know this may be a matter of preference, but if this...