NEED HELP WITH MY DINING ROOM:) PLEASE
mariambarska
This room is somewhat contemporary with traditional flare. I wanted to make it more upbeat, but not sure how to. Being a fashion designer I always analyzed everything too much and picky about everything:( not good. I have simple drapes in dark chocolate velvet fabric. my wood table seats easy 8 people and is original and beautiful. its 10 years old. floor is travertine. i change fabric on chairs, but i wish i could have done big better colors? not so sure. walls are bare:( don't know to add mirrors or? art?

please help. thank you all and happy new year.

mariam barska
lucyhomedecor
Please post a picture of the fabric on the chair seat. Thanks.
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 5, 2014 at 5:27PM
mariambarska
thank you and here is the fabric
0 Likes   January 5, 2014 at 6:55PM
row_014
Great start on your room! Is that yellow on the walls? Hard to tell in pics! Have you tried searching etsy or art.com for some art you love in brown/yellows? Is that a grey pattern on the chairs?
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 5, 2014 at 7:24PM
mariambarska
my wall are yellow but not too bright. fabric has: blk, yellow & grayish colors.
0 Likes   January 5, 2014 at 7:28PM
Table seems a tight squeeze. Can you remove leaves until needed and make it more compact. the room is all table. I think you could use a larger and more dramatic chandelier or fixture or surround the current one with a dramatic drum shade to pick up on the black.
Hennefield Plan/Frank Betz Modern Black Drum Shade and Crystaleiling chandelier Pendant Lightning Fixture
3 Likes   Thanked by mariambarska    January 5, 2014 at 7:36PM
sieglerdesign
I would like to put some Patty Madden glamorous wall covering on the ceiling with a new stylish chandelier. Will post a combination for you. What other furniture pieces are in the room? Any cool china or serving pieces to display?
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 5, 2014 at 7:40PM
Debra Gunstanson
The color grey you can put a lot with it myself I used 3diff shads of grey I accented it with red black yellow and white and still not finished.
I love a lot of color
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 5, 2014 at 7:47PM
mariambarska
thank you for taking the time and making comments. I just wanted to start looking into and see how I can make this small dining room (is part of kitchen. this part is very long. i can send pictures if you need. ) Changing chandelier is good way to scale this room up. there is no cool china, but next to my dining room there is small bar area and then my kitchen. so what should I do next?

thank you so much to all
0 Likes   January 5, 2014 at 7:51PM
row_014
More pics the better mariam! Post away!!
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 5, 2014 at 10:04PM
athtex
I agree with removing a leaf (or 2?) from table & consider an area rug- the drum chandelier w/ "bling" definitely works- the room needs more drama!
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 12:24AM
If the room is very long, try turning the table the other direction. Then photo and post more pix. Just comment here and use the Attach Images button under the comment box.
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 7:34AM
Katy Richard
If the chairs aren't valuable antiques you could paint them in a night pop color. The drapes are lovely, but weigh the room down to me. A fabulous modern, large print would be great. And take a leaf out of the table for everyday use. We store ours in a closet. Chairs can sit alone elsewhere.
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 7:40AM
Katy Richard
*that was meant to say, nice pop color, not night :-)
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 7:41AM
Robert Huff - Hotel inspired living.
Lighten up your world!
This type of furniture was built well - I would give it new life by having it sprayed a crisp white.
2 Likes   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 7:55AM
North Shore Custom llc
Start with the wall color I would go with drama and paint a dark bronze or chocolate to match the drape - very dark, It is an intimate room.
Lighting is essential. Be careful your room is not very tall. Don't cut off your light. You need width. If you can hang two smaller or one very wide. See RH photos. You can go urban, contemporary or traditional with some sparkle.
Yes artwork and mirrors. Keep it clean with large artwork and a balance with a collage of smaller. Make sure they are hung at proper heights.
The table is large but if you love it and need the seating keep it as is.
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 8:00AM
janeinfo
I agree with the posters above about taking out a leaf in your table to make the room appear larger. Also, if it's in the budget, you might add two upholstered end chairs to break up all the wood in the room. I also agree with the above posters that a new chandelier would be a great place to start -- just make sure its large enough. Then, on one of the walls, a large (and I mean REALLY large) floor mirror would be good and the other side of the room needs a narrow sideboard with LARGE artwork. Then, I think you are finished.

Orchard Dining Room B (floor mirror)

Glamorgan Way
(Artwork)
2 Likes   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 8:30AM
janeinfo
The chair is from overstock; the rug is on Joss and Main today. Good luck!
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 8:32AM
Paulette Williams
What is the detail on the wall that seems to cut it in half ? Is it three dimensional so it makes hanging things on the wall more difficult ?
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 10:35AM
Paulette Williams
You might consider painting just an accent wall the chocolate brown... If you have the room a narrow buffet table would come in handy during dinner parties and you could use for display at other times. I agree that a rug would anchor the room.... if that isn't possible then you could lighten the gold walls a little and then the floor would pop. As for the wall art... you don't necessarily need a large art piece... there are a myriad of things you could do to create a wall grouping. Here is a link to my Pinterest board "Wall Decor" for some pinspiration : http://www.pinterest.com/pauli2/wall-decor/
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 10:44AM
mariambarska
dear janeinfo what is the name of the rug? i could not find it.
0 Likes   January 6, 2014 at 7:38PM
mariambarska
dear Paulette Williams the detail on the wall was there when we bought the house. its there and can not be moved:(
0 Likes   January 6, 2014 at 7:41PM
Cat Rowe
Can you turn the table the other direction? Take out a leaf, place one chair at each end of the table and two on each side. For a contemporary look, remove the sheer drapes, but keep the velvet panels. Repaint a dream color. Change or light fixture. I like the one Deco shows. Add one set of wall sconces on dimmer . One on each side of the wall detail. Add rug. Add gorgeous large Tiffany vase to table top.
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 7:49PM
mariambarska
dear North Shore Custom llc where can i get this light? please advise. thank you so much
0 Likes   January 6, 2014 at 7:53PM
mpoulsom
It's okay about that detail in the wall...IF you end up wanting a large piece of artwork or mirror for that area, just add another trim board the same size over a bit and mount your object on those 2 pieces sticking out....OR hang something inside the center of the 2 like it's recessed.
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 6, 2014 at 7:54PM
mariambarska
thank you all the people who took time on this busy Monday and even last sunday to comment on my post. you all are true artists and I appreciate all you have done including all the suggestions. I will do my best to first perhaps paint the walls and then get a bigger lighting/chandelier. then 2 end chairs in fabric (i took out one leaf already:)) at the end will look for a rug…one thing at a time? then I will come back here and repost it for you to see. thank you thank you and many thanks
0 Likes   January 6, 2014 at 8:33PM
Cat Rowe
Wonderful. Looking forward to seeing your new space!
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 7, 2014 at 6:00PM
Paulette Williams
I'm glad you are so motivated... I would suggest you consider buying your rug first so you can build around it.. too often colors are chosen and work is done only to find you can't find the right rug... if you have that first then you can co-ordinate your colors around it.
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 7, 2014 at 7:14PM
mariambarska
Paulette Williams - the rug suggested to me earlier was sold out. can't find it anymore. i need more help on the rug:(
0 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 8:18PM
Iris Design Studio
You can change your pendant lamp into Something more exciting and be done with that.
Here is La Paz Ceiling Gold Chandelier
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 7, 2014 at 8:53PM
mariambarska
that is an expensive lamp:) wow so dramatic. i love it
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 10:08PM
janeinfo
Sorry, I just now saw your question. The rug is Matilda Rug on Joss and Main. Here is the link: https://www.jossandmain.com/Pop-of-Preppy-Matilda-Rug-in-Yellow~JPU6800~E8374.html
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 8, 2014 at 1:33PM
mariambarska
Hi Janeinfo - that rug is sold out:(
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 5:45PM
Emerson Brothers, LLC. Home Remodeling
Add some color in the form of rugs, accessories, and artwork. You May also want to add a new chandelier to root the table in the room and add a tables ape to finish off the look. Good luck,
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 10, 2014 at 6:27PM
mariambarska
any suggestions as to what lighting will work? do you like this one?
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 6:34PM
mariambarska
or this is too traditional? i want touch of contemporary so that might be something i trying in lighting?
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 6:34PM
Cat Rowe
Whichever one you keep thinking about!
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 6:55PM
1 Like   Thanked by mariambarska    January 10, 2014 at 7:14PM
Paulette Williams
What do you think of this one ? What size do you need ? http://www.homedepot.com/p/202981881?cm_mmc=sem|psocial|fbx|dynamic
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 8:24PM
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 8:34PM
need help with my kitchen dining room please.
We have recently changed our kitchen layout and have...
ribeno
Need help with my Dining room please
Hi, I am very confused with the design / layout of...
aditisomeshwar
Need help with my dining room...please!
Please help me with my dining room. I've done things...
animalplanet
I need help with my dining room please!!!!
I would like to remodel my dining room. The space...
Edith Alanis
Playroom Drama
In the New Year, like many if us I would like to get...
Alan Anthony
Historic 1930 Spanish home I just bought....paint colors & windows?
I just purchased a Spanish style home in an historic...
arkiegrandma
HELP! What would you do in this kitchen?
we are looking at redoing our kitchen. we want new...
crioux13
Need help with Raymond Loewy style dresser in 7-year old bedroom
I am completely re-doing my almost-8-year old boy's...
until_dawn
Backsplash Catastro-Clash
Our new kitchen reno is almost done. And hallelujah...
gduplessis