Client's Total Makeover
Specialty Cabinet FinishesJanuary 5, 2014
Here my client in Asheville, NC went from a dark oak kitchen to an amazing new look. I did the refinishing portion and a carpenter I work with did the woodworking. New counter tops were also brought in. I believe they originally got a quote from one of the big box stores for close to $15,000 to replace the cabinets. The total change here was in the neighborhood of $7,000-$8,000 for all the changes.
Wonderful transformation at a great price! Nice work!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 5, 2014 at 6:20PM
Specialty Cabinet Finishes
Thank you Darzy.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 7:06PM
Feels more open without adding square footage.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 6, 2014 at 5:50AM
saratogaswizzlestick
Great bang for the buck. New hardwood floors, refinished cabinets, the addition of a sink, removal of upper cabinets, new appliances, new hardware, new lighting, granite, new faucet , additional outlets all for 7-8,000$. That was money well spent, I bet your client is thrilled with the result.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 6, 2014 at 6:02AM
Craft Art Elegant Surfaces
Nice work!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 6, 2014 at 6:30AM
SPACIALISTS
Love the floors works well with the counter top...looks fantastic.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 6, 2014 at 1:20PM
decoratinglady5
I really like the floors..and it so much brighter now.Great work!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 6, 2014 at 1:36PM
purehome
The white cabinets really open it up!!!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 8, 2014 at 1:35PM
Michael Lee, Inc
Love what you did here! Super nice.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 8, 2014 at 3:29PM
suecygnet
Where's the microwave? Why no counter overhang for stools?
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 8, 2014 at 8:57PM
Taylor'd Interiors
Huge improvement. Love the floors and the brighter more airy feel. I might have pulled the color from the blue door in the next room onto the kitchen walls. Good work!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 8, 2014 at 8:59PM
Marilyn Wilkie
Comments on this on Facebook were brutal. I think the homeowner is happy with their choices here. That is all that really matters.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 5:19AM
Maggie Holbrook
bummer no stainless. black looks dated.....
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 6:17AM
handymam
How is it a bummer for the client to get what they picked? Not everyone is so keen on stainless by the way.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 6:23AM
handymam
And one day, much to your dismay, so will stainless look dated.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 6:24AM
Lia
It looks so light and bright! Great Job!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 6:24AM
Jamie Smethie
Are the cabinets just refinished? I am looking to get something similar done in Austin, TX but struggling to find a reasonably priced contractor that does quality work! We already have the granite and the stainless appliances...just need the counters redone now.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 7:28AM
APK Designs LLC
Great transformation!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 7:36AM
carolrutha
Excellent. I think it has good bones now - just needs some accessorizing to give it personality.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 8:01AM
Sustainable Dwellings
I like it. Now, for the "bald wall" I would add some big kitchen art ( herbs, artichokes, etc) pics
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 8:12AM
carolrutha
I agree with Accents Redesign to bring the aqua colour into the room either by painting the blank wall or by some wall decor. My preference would be painting the wall.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 9:24AM
APK Designs LLC
Now if you could get the homeowner to read these design tips, it'd be great! ;-)
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 9:51AM
Lynn Babin Fontaine
Well done ! Love your countertops what are they ,Granite or Quartz ? And the name of them too please.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 11:36AM
grobby
The remodel is beautiful, even more so us the price. Are you considering updating the doors to room. Would look good painted white. BTW. I love Asheville.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 11:45AM
Stamps Design Services
I do not understand their preference for black appliances with white cabinets, white appliances would have blent in, as it is now, they all stand out.....
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Specialty Cabinet Finishes    January 9, 2014 at 1:36PM
Specialty Cabinet Finishes
Thanks everyone for all the comments. The island area was not extended out because the client was looking for a hutch of some sort to add cabinet space against the bare wall. I believe the counters were granite however I don't know the name of them and did not sell them. I agree with most on the stainless steel. I am a huge fan of it myself and easily/effortlessly matches most rooms. For this client, it was a budget issue if I recall. I am amazed however at how many clients I have had that love black and white appliances and despise stainless steel. To each his own I guess.
The cabinets were all refinished from the old doors, drawers, and bodies. Someone mentioned Texas and looking for a contractor. I would highly recommend seeking out someone who specializes in refinishing kitchen cabinets. It's a whole different animal than painting walls and ideally done is furniture coatings like the manufacturers use. Most painters are not set up to do it properly but will gladly take the business and paint your car if you are willing to pay for it.
Google Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing/painting/refacing for your local area and ask to see their portfolio. You will get a very good idea as the work they are doing. You can even ask to go and see one of their past client's kitchen. I have several clients offer this form of reference.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 1:52PM
Studio NOO Design
Great work, congrats !
    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 3:07PM
nancylou22
Thanks for sharing this, Specialty Cabinet Finishes. This really shows how big a transformation changing the cabinet color can make. It looks like a totally different kitchen. When searching for someone who refinished cabinets, what kind of questions should we ask? You referred to a particular paint process, what kind of setup should they have? Thanks.
    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 6:13AM
Need a total makeover of a kitchen that seems to be from the 60's
Would like to do a total demo and redo. This old kitchen...
scottdf1808
1960's ranch style needs a makeover
Please Help! We have remodeled the inside of our home...
mistyfc
112-Year Old House Gets Total Makeover
Living Room Before/After Photos
krsimning
How to be the best client ever? Share your tips!
We've talked a lot about how to find the best professionals...
112-Year Old House Gets Total Makeover
Added a master suite above garage to a circa 1900 house...
krsimning
Fireplace redo
We want to redo the fireplace by replacing all of the...
tcrjmr
Need suggestions for sprucing up the surround on our gas fireplace
We will be painting our condo with Sherwin Williams...
kalonakoma
Senior doggy daycare
I am wondering what color of paint to use for a doggy...
debbieledebs
Need help finishing kitchen remodel and family room face lift
We finished a complete gut job on the kitchen and facelift...
gowerclem
Need help with kitchen
We are building a house. My cabinet maker has just...
jstone20