Help with curtains and rug

Jennifer ChristisonJanuary 5, 2014
Finally decorating our 50's rambler, keeping with the mid century theme. We love color and went bold with a red accent wall, blue sofa, and yellow chairs. Other walls are gray (one wall a lighter gray, one darker). What do I do for curtains and rug? I am thinking about simple gray curtains and a gray rug with some sort of pattern...? I feel like I need to ground the room with more neutral since I went bold with furniture. Any tips would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yvonnecmartin
My advice would be to find a rug that picks up the colors that you have chosen--red, blue, and yellow. Another possibility would be a white flotaki. I think grey curtains that match the wall would look great.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Christison    January 5, 2014 at 8:50PM
brickln
Cream sculpted or a tweed. Check flor.com for ideas. Outstanding job!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Christison    January 5, 2014 at 8:55PM
Darzy
Love what you've done! So many great rugs will work so it will depend on how bold you want to go.
1. black/white graphic or even a kilim rug would look very nice.
2. Round?? Shag in either the gray or dare I say grass green!
3. Flor tiles in a nice pattern (either neutral or bold) are versatile and look retro to me.
4. Black/white cowhide for a more eclectic look.

For the window treatment, I'd say something very simple, like top down/bottom up blinds.

Casa Nido · More Info

Mid Century Modern Living Room - Small Bungalow · More Info

Dining/Living Room · More Info

Mid Century Modern Coastal Getaway · More Info
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Christison    January 5, 2014 at 8:55PM
Darzy
Grass rug, but larger, of course...
Lucas's Loft · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Christison    January 5, 2014 at 8:57PM
athtex
A really graphic rug (Mondrian-like) that picks up the red, blue, yellow & grey/black is a must! Here are a couple of ideas - Also, I would stay away from curtains- think some sleek Roman shades in grey, either solid or w/ contrasting trim
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Christison    January 6, 2014 at 1:15AM
dianecourbat
Floor to ceiling drapes would give you that 50's vibe. I think they should be the same color or slightly lighter than the wall color. A large plain rug in the same color would let your colors, furniture and accessories be the focal points.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Christison    January 6, 2014 at 2:39AM
Mark
I would pick your area rug first but I just had to show you these curtains because I think they would look perfect in your room. I love the diamond-shaped inverted pleating, it reminds me of an argyle sweater that was so popular in the 1950's. ( so I was told ) They wouldn't have to be made in the color shown but the idea is so fun and wanted to share.
Sandy Wilson IT Curtain Panel · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Christison    January 6, 2014 at 10:54AM
Jennifer Christison
Great suggestions and inspiration! Thanks so much! I'll share these ideas with my husband and see what we decide :D
    Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 8:30PM