Should I remove the wood that's between the cabinets above the sink
moonp1e
I'm finally getting to the small things in the kitchen and one I've been pondering is taking out the wood pieces between the cabinets over the sink. I see that in a lot of after pictures in the kitchen section. The bottom piece with the holes seems country to me and the rest of my house is cottage and traditional. The cabinets go to the ceiling. Will it be a nice update?
Please ignore the current state of the window, I'm painting all the trim and windows and this one is getting there.
Fred S
I think it goes ok with cottage, but it is too low, making it proportionally off.
January 6, 2014 at 7:15AM        Thanked by moonp1e
pharod60
I think you are right about removing the bridge between the cabinets. It is a little heavy for the space and seems to serve no purpose, other than decorative. I see there is a pendant in front of it- is there lighting behind it, as well? You may get a much brighter, cleaner look with a roman shade. I love your wall color and if you removed the wood you would get to see more of that too!
January 6, 2014 at 12:55PM        Thanked by moonp1e
handymam
I would remove it, it looks like an afterthought.
January 6, 2014 at 1:00PM        Thanked by moonp1e
Brothers Custom Works
My opinion that it is nice, but disproportional, being too wide - ceiling to bottom of piece (valance).

You could have a craftsman - cabinet maker take it out (such that it is not damaged) cut it down to perhaps 1/2 of the height - set the reduced height valance temporarily in place (mock-up) - test visual results.

Obviously this process would also give you a view of the whole with valance removed.

It appears you have crown mould at the cabinet - ceiling intersect and above the subject valance.

If you remove the valance completely - comply with standards - you would need more crown mould for "returning" the crown from cab face to wall on both sides. You would typically need to match the crown "profile" - wood species - stain - finish.

If you like the cut down version of the valance - you would avoid needing more crown and the matching efforts.
January 6, 2014 at 4:09PM        Thanked by moonp1e
chookchook2
It looks fine to me. You are just noticing it more when bored at the sink. I like listening to quiz shows on the radio when in the kitchen at night.
January 6, 2014 at 4:22PM     
handymam
Brother, I think the window does not continue up past the curvy part. So removing the whole thing won't give much more of a view.
January 6, 2014 at 4:22PM     
Fred S
* a view of what it would look like with no valance, not a better view out the window.
January 6, 2014 at 5:57PM     
grobby
I would remove it. It's an old design that dates the house. Try a nice roman shade to add softness to that area.
January 6, 2014 at 6:03PM        Thanked by moonp1e
Becky Blackburn
I agree with "grobby". But...I wouldn't remove it until I was really sure...wouldn't want you to regret it :-)
January 6, 2014 at 6:09PM        Thanked by moonp1e
Fred S
Apparently, some people are confused as to what a cottage style is, or just like using the term "dated" in a derogatory sense. The word cottage is used to mean a small OLD-FASHIONED house of TRADITIONAL build, usually a modest, often cosy dwelling, although it can also be applied to dwellings of modern construction which are designed to resemble TRADITIONAL ones.
January 6, 2014 at 6:38PM     
mcbmd3
As if you need another opinion, but here goes. I would remove it. It doesn't add anything to the kitchen sink area.
January 6, 2014 at 6:48PM        Thanked by moonp1e
moogers
IMHO, I would remove it. I think it dates the kitchen and removing it would create the illusion of more space. What I'm trying to say is that for me, personally, it makes me feel a bit claustrophobic.
January 6, 2014 at 9:21PM        Thanked by moonp1e
Brothers Custom Works
Colored 2Ds are good - see space and proportion study.
(these are the views I referred to - not out the window)

3Ds are better - not enough time. .

An onsite "mock-up" (as previously suggested) is the most reliable for HO decision.

Also - some pic help for Fred S and his concerns regarding others understanding cottage homes. A pic is worth 1000 words.
January 6, 2014 at 11:04PM        Thanked by moonp1e
Patricia
I like Brothers idea of a shortened/raised valance. This one is too long. Shorten it to show the entire window. Then you won't have the problem of matching trim for the returns. Maybe even just leave the straight part and lose the curvy piece.
January 6, 2014 at 11:21PM        Thanked by moonp1e
Rina
Hi Moon. Here are two impressions of the shortened valance and no valance options. Might help you decide. :-)
January 7, 2014 at 12:10AM        Thanked by moonp1e
Dawn Southern
I felt the same about my kitchen :) ever since I bought the house that valence had always bothered me and I'm so glad I finally changed it. Last night my husband used a jigsaw to reshape our wood valence over the window. Our house is traditional but I felt that the wood valence was too "country" for my taste-not too mention the valence looked out of proportion and overcrowding. We completely removed the skinny bottom piece (the scroll looking thing) and then removed the huge rectangular piece and shaped it into a Roman arch. It really opens up the space, I love it. And I've seen people add a roman shade over the window to give some interest.

(excuse the two tone paint and our light fixture wiring sticking out above the window!)
March 7, 2014 at 12:50PM     
Living room design
Hello All, I am in the slow but enjoyable process...
new kitchen update
We recently embarked on updating our kitchen. We had...
This dining room is holding me hostage ...
... I can't walk by this room without stopping to stare...
new post and ballusters dimensions for outdoor wrought iron railing
What should be the diameter dimensions for the newel...
Your Opinion
What do you think of the variety of colors on the cabinets?...