My kitchen might have potential ...? Help
Jarrod Mcclure
I have metal cabinets on the bottom and I have wood cabinets on the top my kitchen is in burgundy and greens I guess and I decorate with roosters I love modern but my house is rustic if I could do a modern Rustin I would love it I'm having trouble trying to figure out what color to paint my walls and cabinets I'll get flooring sometime soon but these cabinets are driving me insane and I also have blue and pink square pattern counter tops (ew) but I heard there is this stuff u can buy at lowes it's like a 3step process and u just paint this mixture on it and it looks like granit .... Has anyone tried it .??? And any ideas ??
KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
There is so much potential but what kind of budget are you working with? What part of the country are you in?
January 6, 2014 at 12:48PM   
Jarrod Mcclure
I live in Indiana I'm on a do it myself kinda budget pretty much paint and new hardware on cabinets
January 6, 2014 at 12:54PM   
annmarie2
Painting metal cabinets is difficult and doesn't always have the best results, unless it's done by a professional by electrostatic painting. If those are the type cabinets I think they are, it might be worthwhile to at least get a quote.
January 6, 2014 at 1:16PM   
KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
Okay, at the big box stores you'll find pre-finished laminate counter tops in specific lengths - I'd take a look at that before I'd start painting the ones you have. Yes, you'll have to deal with the sink - but in the long run a new top will last a lot longer than a painted finish.

New hardware for sure - make sure to take one of your handles with you so make sure you get the right width for the new ones. I've never tried to paint metal cabinets before - I would think you need a special paint for that. Good luck - mixing two contrasting styles like Rustic and Contemporary is doable - technically your cabinets are already in the 'contemporary' end of design.

I'm not afraid of using color - so go bold on your walls and have some fun!
January 6, 2014 at 1:16PM   
Monique Barrow
If you love modern take away all decorations and little curtains. That will update your kitchen. A new floor and new hardware will help too. Your kitchen is pretty modern looking, compared to many wooden ones I've seen before
January 6, 2014 at 1:22PM   
January 6, 2014 at 1:23PM   
Victor
as far as the counter top you can tile it with a nice natural stone 4 inch tile and use the same on the backsplash. I did that in a condo I owned that was built in the early 50's. Made a huge difference and I received many compliments. You can also do a porcelain tile floor (wears very well) and they have some tile I saw at lowes that looks like travertine (Del Conca 12-in x 12-in Roman Stone Beige Thru Body Porcelain Floor Tile ). I painted kitchen cabinets but only wood ones so I can't comment on the metal but the wood is very doable, just time consuming. Save you a ton of money. I used Valspar (Cork Top) their highest quality because we loved the color. It's OK but I would use Ben Moore if you can find the color you want. Also a good prep and primer is key to the best adhesion.
January 6, 2014 at 1:23PM   
Biggest bang for your buck: new hardware, new lighting, new floor. And I'm sorry, but the roosters must die...
January 6, 2014 at 2:14PM     
Jarrod Mcclure
Thanks it's not gonna be easy that's for sure and the roosters where a hand me down from my sister lol How did u redo my kitchen phot that's cool. Here my living room
January 6, 2014 at 2:44PM   
Jarrod Mcclure
Sorry it's dark we don't have a ceiling light
January 6, 2014 at 2:45PM   
I know you didn't ask, but I couldn't help myself. Not only must the roosters die, but so must the wallpaper border in the living room. And that stuff on the wall over the sofa, too. The dog can stay. He's gonna love your new modern look.

Turn the rug 90 degrees. If you can swing a new rug, look for something lighter. Much lighter. Hang large art low over the sofa. On a budget, look at Ikea. They have some framed cityscapes that are 55" wide for $50. A couple of light pillows will break up the darkness of the couch.

If you can scoot the loveseat on the right back to make more room at that doorway, do it.
January 6, 2014 at 8:02PM     
Jarrod Mcclure
What program are u using that's so cool
January 7, 2014 at 11:15AM   
iwantit
I think KR might be right about the countertop update. I looked into getting that rustoleum countertop restoration to tie us over until we remodeled the kitchen and they're not cheap (think a couple hundred for 1 kit)....for the cost you might be able to get a new more modern laminate countertop. Definitely paint the cabinets maybe a dark color on the bottom and a light one on top. Take down the roosters and the valance. Add some modern blinds. New hardware as well and do the flooring when you can afford it.
January 7, 2014 at 11:34AM   
carole
have not used the paintproduct before,but paint and table or worksurfaces usualy is not a good mix,too much scrathing,burns from the hot pans etc. i would put the money you were going to use for the paint towards the new cabinetdoors you want....
January 7, 2014 at 11:45AM   
iwantit
How about concrete countertops......you can maybe do those yourself with a tutorial and paint the metal cabinets a grayish hunter green with white for the top cabinets and a stainles steel sheet cut for the backsplash.....and new hardware.......a bit much?
January 7, 2014 at 12:22PM   
@Jarrod Mcclure, I'm using Photoshop Elements.
January 7, 2014 at 12:51PM     
HELP! Basement has so much potential but we have no vision yet
We are renting right now. Landlord is will to renovate...
Need help with kitchen on potential floor plan
We are considering building a house with this floor...
Need help with potential peninsula for kitchen
We are building our new home, and after pouring over...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
Need help deciding on a backsplash and wall color for kitchen.
My cabinets are dark cherry with black stain(I think,...
New Home Dilemma
We are currently in contract for a new house and the...
What should be the layout plan?
The only natural light source is the door from outside. Please...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...