Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattismcgee

Please help choose cabinet hardware for our kitchen renovation

P M
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
We replaced our appliances,sink and countertops as a interim kitchen renovation. We need to replace 90s brass hardware. I would appreciate your opinion on polished nickel or pewter for the finish. I wouldn't mind mixing but that might be too hodge podge. I like the combination of pulls, knobs rather than using one style. Any comments would be appreciated. I am drawn to Hafele Bordeaux collection as well as Cliffside Industries Scroll and Classic collections.THANKS!

Comments (44)

• User
    10 years ago
    What finish on the faucet are you going to have? I like to match my door handles to my kitchen faucets.
  • P M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Our sink is stainless and the faucet is brushed nickel. It is in but was out when I took the picture while the tile was being installed by my husband.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I thought pewter would be fun and unexpected...until I tried to find some nice ones :)

Why not brushed nickel?
  • User
    10 years ago
    I am replacing my current 90s brass hardware with brushed nickel.
  • P M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    dclostboy:brushed nickel would be too matchy...i wanted something more interesting. Hafele Bordeaux collection is nice and available in pewter. I am thinking polished nickel might show too many fingerprints in a kitchen although it is pretty.
  • P M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    mjjk: Your hardware is very nice. I like that it is substantial and classic.
  • decoratinglady5
    10 years ago
    I like your paint choice on the wall..nice kitchen.
    P M thanked decoratinglady5
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Very nice clean look there. I think pewter may be nice, but may be too rustic. Get a few different pieces of hardware and check them out with the room.
    P M thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • pivoines
    10 years ago
    sorry to disagree with you but brushed nickel would tie in the look of your kitchen , mjjk has the perfect choice for you, you can add the pop you need with accessories, transparent large glass jars filled with colorful items (lemons, limes, apples ) or colorful potteries , or colorful small electric appliances, (coffee maker, toaster, blender etc...) it is a beautiful kitchen. enjoy !
    P M thanked pivoines
  • Maria Smith
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous windows! I do not think that brushed nickle will show finger prints at all. Frankly, I have white cabinets too and I see more finger prints on them (oils from cooking). The nickle will sparkle!
    P M thanked Maria Smith
  • P M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sustainable Dwellings: thanks for your comment...I know a lot of the pewter is too rustic for our space. I do love the attached Drury Design kitchen with Hafele pewter hardware. My husband is not keen on the T bar knob so I was considering using that on 4 of the angled side cabinets and then a combination of handles and knobs along with cup pulls ( to hide the single hole) on the drawers.
  • jclindberg
    10 years ago
    No offense, but I don't think your cabinets are 'grand' enough to pull of the gorgeous pewter hardware you favor. My vote is the nickel suggested above as well. Why not use the money you save on hardware to do a really pretty back splash and add dimension to your kitchen? It really is a pretty space and I envy the view!
  • P M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No offense taken and I appreciate the comments so much that I am getting from everyone. Thank you. I follow what you are saying. This is an interim renovation. We aren't changing the backsplash now. We plan to redo the kitchen with new cabinets , countertops after the master bath. I don't want to get 52 cheap knobs now that are just okay and have to then spend more $ and get something much nicer when the new kitchen is done. I would use a smaller scale of the Hafele pull on the upper cabinets, knobs in the same finish and probably cup pulls. The larger t knobs would be on only 4 of the cabinets on the ends of the kitchen if my husband agrees. I showed the Drury picture to give an example of pewter that is not a rustic look. Thanks for the compliment on the space and view. The view is spectacular. The windows also have grills but in the picture they were removed for painting
  • PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    10 years ago
    My vote is with brushed nickel
    P M thanked Beverly Anderson Interior Design
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I'll throw my vote behind mjjk's suggestion too
    P M thanked dclostboy
  • P M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh my. No one likes polished nickel or antique pewter?.! Yikes. I am going to have to reconsider my vision!! I was going for a tiny bit of sparkle with polished nickel thought or frill with the antique pewter in a pretty design. If they are not going to work in this kitchen perhaps I could do as pivoines suggested and use accessories to add that aspect. The attached Houzz photo is another kitchen ( along with the Drury design in my above post) that inspired me to consider pewter.
    Had I realized we were going to tile all the counters( not just the island) when we started I would have done the island in marble which would have made the kitchen dressier. I do have a marble board i am planning to place on the island.
    My hesitation with brushed nickel is the fridge is very substantial and it might be too much of the same but it seems my opinion is in the minority. Haha! I do really love and really appreciate the input from all of you. Thank you.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I have polished nickel in bathroom...don't think it would fare well in kitchen with dirty hands and fingerprints.
  • dstemple1956
    10 years ago
    Here's the thing: your most used rooms are the kitchen and the bath so you should expect to have to clean the hardware, counter tops etc. more often. Buy what you love and just expect to do the needed upkeep. The only rooms that never need a wipe are the ones that are staged for magazines!
  • jclindberg
    10 years ago
    Patti, first of all, it is YOUR kitchen, so your opinion matters most! That said, it seems like you are trying not to buy hardware twice, which may or may not be the best course of action in this situation. If you go to one of the big box stores, or even Target, you can buy multi-packs of the brushed nickel knobs extremely inexpensively. That way there's no drilling new holes and you may even be able to resell the cabinetry (complete with the brushed nickel knobs) if you demo carefully when re-no time comes along. You don't say how long until you remodel, but it is possible that once you start the process, you may come across hardware you like even more, or even change the direction you want to go with on your cabinetry and it might call for different hardware. This situation seems to call for a band-aid, not surgery, so $50 worth of nickel knobs may just do the trick!
  • jclindberg
    10 years ago
    PS, I love the cabinetry and hardware you have selected for your future kitchen...just gorgeous!
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    10 years ago
    I used polished nickel in my new kitchen and I have to say, it doesn't get any dirtier looking than my old pewter handles. Mine are from the Martha Stewart Living line @ Homedepot. I used a combination of knobs, pulls, and cup pulls. I love how they sparkle, like jewellery.
  • Suzanne White
    10 years ago
    I would try a few before you buy. I could see glass knobs for doors and brushed nickel drawer pulls on drawers. Your glass knobs could be re-used on new cabinets when you change them, no matter what colour cabinets you end up choosing. You could even add few coloured glass knobs to spark fun! Do a search on Houzz for Kitchen glass knobs to give you ideas. Good luck!
  • P M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jclindberg: thanks for the shake to reality! Great perspective. I hadn't thought about the possibility of changing my mind during the renovation. My husband has been suggesting the big box store route. I will take a look at Home Depot as suggested by Lesley Delle_Grazie.
  • Maria Smith
    10 years ago
    Just don't be heart broken if the item is discontinued when you do the next project. I too say go with what you want for now and love it!
  • PRO
    lzl interiors
    10 years ago
    I think brushed nickel is going to look dated very soon. I would suggest that you go with a black iron or rubbed bronze (would add more contrast) with handles on drawers and knobs on cabinets. FYI - adding handles will require filling existing holes.
  • P M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lzl-I appreciate your opinion. I have the same concern regarding brushed nickel looking dated soon. Also just too bland for me but I have been playing with some sample finishes to see how they look in person. Brushed nickel just looks too easy and tame...matchy.
    I don't think I can use handles on the drawers unless I use a back plate. The marks from the knobs are too pronounced.
  • PRO
    Emerson Brothers Construction
    10 years ago
    I think brushed nickel long pulls would look best, especially with the color countertop and stainless steel appliances.
    P M thanked Emerson Brothers Construction
  • pbarker75
    10 years ago
    Since this is an interim renovation and you plan on buying new hardware when you redo the cabinets and counter tops how about just painting the existing brass hardware for now? You could remove all the knobs and spray paint the lot ... either black or one of the "hammered" metallic colored spray paints that will mimic brushed nickel. That might be a very cost effective, temporary solution.
  • P M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Pbarker75. I like that idea a lot. I initially suggested that to my husband
    So we could avoid the dilemma of selecting new
    Hardware. He was not interested but I might
    Revisit that idea.i wonder if anyone has had experience with painting hardware on HouZZ.
    How durable? Thanks for reminding me.
  • jclindberg
    10 years ago
    Repainting is a great idea and super easy. I do that on many of the homes I stage to keep costs down. Any of the Rustoleum brand sprays (they are about $7/can) with a metallic flake work very well and the finish is very durable. Remove the knobs, spray, wait at least 12 hours and repeat. Let dry another 12 hours and re-install. We actually refinished all of our pool and patio furniture several years ago with the oil rubbed bronze and we were so happy with the results that we painted all of our brass door hardware and hinges as well.
  • Lesley Delle_Grazie
    10 years ago
    I have also spray-painted cabinet hardware with excellent results, but I used an auto paint since I couldn't find the platinum colour I wanted in any other product line. Seriously, give it try; what have you got to lose, besides the $7 for the spray-paint? I think it's better to try that than buy a bunch of hardware that you may not want a few years from now (or may not be able to match if they are discontinued when you renovate).
    P M thanked Lesley Delle_Grazie
  • lepstein
    10 years ago
    I painted my bathroom hardware in hammered silver 12 yrs ago (granted, it was just my fan cover and my toilet paper holder ) because the sizes were off and I didn't want a big Reno at the time. They were darker than I expected (which I like), but they still look great and no finger prints.

I vote for brushed nickel or rubbed/antique bronze (which I have in my bathroom and love!) if you don't do the paint "fix".
  • PRO
    LM Interior Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Hello! My recommendation is to use satin nickel hardware on your lovely cabinets.
    Since they are already drilled for knobs, I would not use pulls, since you will have to drill new holes & patch the old ones.
    Best rule of thumb in good design is to keep it simple & to go with the most obvious choice.
    Good luck!
    ~LMM
  • P M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I painted the knobs and back plates with Rustoleum universal antique nickel! I am very
    Pleased. My husband is not...."looks fake". Not sure if we will replace them or not but for
    Now I am very pleased. It is done and I feel looks great. Thanks so very much for all your
    Opinions and help!
  • PRO
    lzl interiors
    10 years ago
    good move - it is just because he knows you painted them. He will get used to it
    P M thanked lzl interiors
  • P M
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are before pictures
  • jclindberg
    10 years ago
    For the cost of a $7 can of paint, he should be thrilled to death with the new look...Great job!
    For your next interim project (under $50), take some window trim casing (paint it white) and make a frame for the wall behind the desk. Paint the inside of the frame with black magnetic chalkboard paint and you will have a cute message center and your black phone and cord will just blend in and disappear!
    P M thanked jclindberg
  • Dale Hadley
    7 years ago

I am in the minority, i love polished nickel or chrome hardware and faucets. I think brushed faucets are harder to keep than polished. Also, that subtle touch of shine looks great

• Dale Hadley
    7 years ago

I also spray painted kitchen hardware years ago with "hammered metal" and they looked great!

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Funny thing is brass is popular now LOL. I was just gonna say I don't like white kitchens but I've seen some with brass hardware that looks really good. Gets rid of the cheap kiddy ikea room feel. But you already changed your brass hardware LOL. should have left it alone.

From what I've seen its just an ongoing circle, especially since where limited to hardware selection and materials used to make hardware. First brass is popular, then nickle/chrome, then antique brass makes an appearance, then bronze, then comes back full circle to brass. Once one has been done to death, no one wants it, they call it outdated and they move on to the next lol. I kind of see the same thing happening to these white kitchens. If you already have nice hardware then just leave it alone, its gonna be popular again no matter what.

• acm
    7 years ago

guys, the post is three years old! I'll bet they've picked all their pulls already. look for some recent threads to share your wisdom...

• User
    7 years ago

The person that did this just posted an hour ago

• Dale Hadley
    7 years ago

I have to start checking dates!!!!!