Lamps are Blah
Sharon Stone
These lamps are very boring to me. What would you suggest taking into consideration the dark furniture and couches? I would so appreciate your help. :)
Ann
I won't be much help because I think they look pretty nice and the scale is good. So often, lamps are too small, but those are nice.
January 7, 2014 at 11:51AM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
sondramartina
Lamps are nice but picture above sofa does not look right
January 7, 2014 at 11:56AM     
dclostboy
Scale is good, but they don't pack much umph. A similar chrome (mapping to trees in painting) or beige ceramic would look nice.
January 7, 2014 at 11:56AM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
dbellisario
could you get some craft paint for glass and coat the inside of them? They are disappearing with the white wall. or paint the walls a color to help them stand out more.
January 7, 2014 at 11:59AM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
cyndeefarrell
If budget is tight, maybe fill the base of the lamps with unique items or items with color, maybe the red from artwork? Turn them into a terrarium? Chang out shades to darker color.
January 7, 2014 at 12:00PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
How about putting a few sticks of driftwood inside leaning on the inside? It would add some depth, color and relate to the tree art.
January 7, 2014 at 12:04PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
Anchor them with rocks inside like you might expect to find in those birch woods in the picture.
January 7, 2014 at 12:07PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
chrisinky
I agree with cyndee. Be on the look out for things you could fill them with. Red marbles maybe. If you want to go with the outdoor theme of your artwork, river pebbles or driftwood pieces.

I know you just asked about the lamps, but have you considered painting your walls? Some color there will make the lamps & everything else stand out. My living room is just a pale taupe color & it makes my white trim really pop.

If you are set on changing the lamps, try dark-colored iron ones with a darker (than the wall) shade.
January 7, 2014 at 12:11PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
okobojimom
What about setting both lamps on a glass plate? They will act as cloches. You can then fill them with anything----postcards from vacations, wine corks, seashells, etc. You can put in seasonal items.
January 7, 2014 at 12:15PM     
Amy Stokes
You could paint them to look like mercury glass. There are a lot of tutorials on the web.
January 7, 2014 at 12:22PM     
Here is a driftwood lamp which is lovely. Artfully placed driftwood inside would look super.

January 7, 2014 at 12:24PM     
Hey...deco's idea of rocks inside would look cool. Dollar tree sells bags of medium size shiny rocks. Is the bottom of the lamp open? You could fill the rocks in a clear cylinder vase then put the lamp over the "inside" vase.
January 7, 2014 at 12:28PM     
zemptron
I'm thinking something red, to accentuate your artwork and pillows:

Re-using the existing lamps and filling them with red marbles as chrisinky mentioned would also look quite nice.

January 7, 2014 at 12:35PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
ballamn87...fyi...you can "edit" comments or delete them by putting your mouse over the pencil icon to edit...or hit the X icon in the top right corner of your gray box comment. So, you can correct spelling without adding a new comment box. Or, you can delete comments with the X icon should you decide they are silly or inappropriate.
January 7, 2014 at 12:40PM     
Ann
Regarding ballamn87....what does the "Report" option at the bottom right hand corner of each comment do? Will Houzz remove the user account?
January 7, 2014 at 1:26PM   
I hope so, because I have been hitting that report option all afternoon.

How pathetic that a person feels the need to gross people out. Imagine, sitting at your computer all day and just making foul comments. What a life!
January 7, 2014 at 1:33PM   
sondramartina
I would not pay attention to that person ,the best way is just ignore him.Otherwise he is getting attention that he wants.
January 7, 2014 at 1:44PM   
sondra, that person is all over the discussions today. Most of the remarks are crass. Hopefully, the report option will put an end to the disgusting remarks.
January 7, 2014 at 1:46PM     
smartin1
I think the lamps are great, they are just blending into the walls. I'm with everyone else...can you fill the lamps? I've seen if done with stones, shells, moss, driftwood, burlap, eggs, moss/twig balls, coffee beans (great color and texture). Just be careful that what you put in isn't too heavy, so that the lamp shatters when you pick it up.
January 7, 2014 at 2:57PM     
Sharon Stone
Because of the layout of the room, this wall unfortunately can't be painted a different color. :( I love the driftwood idea, but the neck of the bottle (no open bottom) won't allow it. Maybe smaller things will work. Sondramartina commented that the picture doesn't look right. I am open to suggestions as to what would look good. :)
January 7, 2014 at 5:24PM   
jjhampton
You could spray paint the glass a different color. Metallic silver would look good :)
January 7, 2014 at 5:40PM     
sondramartina
Maybe it is just me who thinks that art does not look right,maybe the height or proportion . What do you guys think?
January 7, 2014 at 5:59PM   
I think the art looks okay to me. It could be an inch too low and not quite center with the sofa though. Truthfully, I think what is "blah" and "tired" looking is the toss pillows. :) I'd like to find fresh, pillows to go with the art/rug better.
20x20 Red Stripe Pillow
Lucy Pillow, Surprise Pillow
January 7, 2014 at 6:03PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
renostufftosell
lamps look cool - but the color of the wall doesn't help to accentuate them...someone commented about the pic but I think that changing wall color will frame everything better....maybe after that consider changing the pillows on the couch...I like the rustic look of the couch offset with the modern look of the lamps :)
January 7, 2014 at 6:05PM      Thanked by Sharon Stone
the essentials inside
Sharon,

lamp height is right, maybe try adding some color to the base of the lamp such as red to bring out the red in the picture and some accent pillows.

Marika
January 7, 2014 at 6:34PM   
Sharon..here we go! We'll have you painting and replacing everything soon! :)
It looks like you're leaning more transitional with you new art and lamps. I think the art and lamps are fine which is more contemporary. So with the art contemporary, the "traditional" sofa, but contemporary lamps, I think what is needed is a more contemporary area rug to complement. My two cents...new rug and toss pillows and you're finished. :)
January 7, 2014 at 6:50PM     
Gone…just have to hit report or e-mail houzz directly. There is no need for any of us to put up with what went on here today; houzz will take care of it…just report the abuse.
January 7, 2014 at 7:05PM     
Are both loves seats or is one a sofa? If there is one sofa, what would happen to the space if you switched?
January 7, 2014 at 7:08PM   
Sharon Stone
I could use the clear ones in the bedroom and possibly buy these cranberry lamps?? What do you think?
January 7, 2014 at 7:26PM     
raineycarole
I love the cranberry ones! Yes, get them!
January 7, 2014 at 7:30PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
abbyjean
If you have another room you can use them it, that might be the best. I love them and hope the walls in the bedroom make these totally stand out. And yes, the cranberry ones will be perfect there......get pillows to go along with that color now.
Just wondering....is the a pier 1 daffodil table?
January 7, 2014 at 7:34PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
pariscafe
Some good ideas about filling the existing lamps. I do like the lamps suggested by Zemptron and Sharon Stone though.
January 7, 2014 at 7:37PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
Sharon Stone
abbyjane, yes we did get the table at Pier 1. Don't remember if it's the daffodil tho. Thanks so much for your input! :)
January 7, 2014 at 7:44PM   
abbyjean
I need a little table and have had my eye on that one....like the height and size of it.
January 7, 2014 at 7:49PM     
abbyjean
Do you walk between the two couches shown? If not, wonder if the square table should go between the pieces and pull them in a bit closer, making that L. Then both of them could use the side table and the lamp. This way it looks like the one love seat gets both tables and both lamps.
January 7, 2014 at 7:50PM     
Natasha Assa
Sorry, I missed the fun! Sharon, the cranberry lamps, definitely!

If money s tight, though, consider (as so many before me said) re-working your existing lamps. Here is an idea. You could use a sticky lining paper in a pretty or bold design and wrap the lamps! Alternatively, buy more impressive shades. Even black will look fantastic here, in contrast to white walls and echoing leather.
January 7, 2014 at 8:08PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
Iris Design Studio
Use a more contemporary table lamp design. Here is our Mendoza lamp, and our La Paz Collection
January 7, 2014 at 8:56PM      Thanked by Sharon Stone
queene0318
I would sugest painting the base of the lamps with a pop of color that goes with your decor. Raise the art work up about6-10 inches...then add some smaller wall art on each side above your lamps.... the lamps put off a good light.
January 8, 2014 at 4:31AM   
anniau
Love the red/ cranberry lamps. Match them with a couple of textured pillows in red.
January 8, 2014 at 5:17AM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
webezebe
I would change the shades to a darker color...
January 8, 2014 at 5:47AM     
Sharon Stone
queen0318, great suggestion about wall art on either side of the picture. We have been looking, but are stumped on what to put there. That painting does look pretty lonely. Any ideas?
January 8, 2014 at 7:07AM   
chrisinky
Some type of metal art would look good over the lamps. There's a lot of it available to pick from.
January 8, 2014 at 7:17AM     
493sandy
Try changing the lamp shades ... picking up the rosey/red color in the photo above the couch might look great!
January 8, 2014 at 6:06PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
Joan Heck
the painting is fab! the lamps are colourless and yes colour on the wall would give impact and so much added value to the entire ensemble. so consider changing out the lamps but be aware that you select to the personality you wish to express..rustic , contemporary or traditional. the lamps and cushions give that personanlity in that statement. But please paint or even use wallpaper texture for additional dimension. a dark charcoal or deep ochre would be rich and add elegance.
January 8, 2014 at 7:34PM      Thanked by Sharon Stone
Dolly Pettie
I am nearly at the end of a year long renovating my 95 yr. old house. It is stunning.
Not a professional designer but you need contrast. Pick out a color in the painting
(or the rug) & paint the wall. You would not believe the difference.
January 10, 2014 at 3:37PM      Thanked by Sharon Stone
Sharon Stone
Oh how I wish I could paint that wall. The whole interior is beige, and the house is an open floor plan. The particular wall with the painting is tall, rectangular and open on the top. It appears to be a free standing wall. It, in my opinion would look odd, with this big wall standing by itself, a different color from the rest of the house. By the way, I did order the cranberry lamps as pictured and plan to buy more colorful shades. +
By the way, based on what kind of lamp, furniture and art, what sort of rug would look good? Would you go rustic, contemporary or transitional?
January 10, 2014 at 4:23PM   
sondramartina
Can you post more photos of your space?
January 10, 2014 at 4:33PM     
dezign interiors, llc
January 10, 2014 at 5:55PM     
wisneb
What about these?
January 10, 2014 at 8:39PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
Sharon Stone
OK...Our lifestyle leans toward the modern rustic side. I hope this helps clarify what need in the way of decor for this living room.
January 11, 2014 at 7:22AM     
Sharon Stone
I plan on posting some current pictures of this room later today, as it has changed during the last couple of years. Thank you again, everyone! You've all been fantastic!
January 11, 2014 at 7:24AM   
abbyjean
Looking forward to seeing the new pics since you have made changes lately.
January 11, 2014 at 8:18AM     
Sharon Stone
Here is a view of our living room as it is now. The lamps will be the cranberry lamps I ordered. I heightened the wall art and added some metal art. Thinking they look too small?? The patterned chair on the right is to be replaced. Any idea on color? I was thinking olive green? I have yet to find some cranberry textured pillows for the couches. We also may purchase a lighter color for the rug. It looks dark to us. I so appreciate your input!
January 12, 2014 at 3:54PM   
abbyjean
The new trees take away from your art, even though they have the tree theme. The art will feel at home with the new lamps that will soon be there. Just wondering if the couch could go under the art instead of the love seat? Typically art is 75% of what it is hanging over and that would work with the couch instead of just matching with the love seat. The circle table could be the center table between them still if you switch them. IF the other table does not fit, it could go next to the chair as a table and lamp beside the chair would be good, too.
January 12, 2014 at 4:15PM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
abbyjean
Can we see the rug up close?
January 12, 2014 at 4:18PM   
Sharon Stone
So you think, no trees, Abbyjean? Just an experiment anyhow. : The couch and the loveseat can't be switched. Looks very unbalanced and no room for end tables. Also the little table can't be put next to the chair because the fireplace is right there. We have tried all sorts of ways to arrange things, and either it obstructs the walkway. or looks unbalanced. I will post closer pics of the rug as well as the fireplace side and you will see what I mean. Thanks so much for your answer!
January 12, 2014 at 5:11PM   
Joan Heck
My suggestions, float the sofa in front of the fireplace...after you have turned the area rug the opposite way. (you didn't mention a fireplace which is usually the first criteria of furniture placements) or leave the love seat as is, especially if there are electrical issues..but you might like a sofa table behind to create a deeper dimension to the room, but for sure the art should not have been raised. It leaps away from the ensemble now. The cran lamps will balance..and so I recommend a cran/olive fabric chair to complete a circle of same colour. The area rug is
not the major feature at this point and should remain subtle. The coffee table lacks an
accessory.
January 13, 2014 at 7:48AM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
chrisinky
I think you're on the right track with the metal art, but I'm not sure about the trees either. Maybe just a scroll design. I think the size isn't bad but needs to be more long than wide.

Take a look at this picture:
January 13, 2014 at 8:05AM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
Joan Heck
I agree with the others...no to the metal trees. An insult to the art and way toooooo matchy.
But they might go into another room, smaller hallway wall but not there. They will kill the simplicity of the two lamps flanking the art, and it is not a compliment rather a competition to the trees on the canvas. They gotta go.
January 13, 2014 at 8:24AM   
Joan Heck
yes, sofa table behind the sofa. It looks awkward and not balanced. Besides you will love that you can set things on that. No to anything flanking the art...wall is not wide enough.
January 13, 2014 at 8:36AM     
halfpint2
I'd buy some birch cloth fabric and cover the lampshades! I love the picture over the couch, but I think it would stand out more if you framed it. Nice room!
January 13, 2014 at 8:42AM     
Joan Heck
Get a birch colour sofa throw....with a luzury textured like fabric to take that element into the other quadrants of the room....I gotta stop with this and get on with the three houses I am doing at the present...hope it all turns out well....lots of fun chatting and being involved. JH
January 13, 2014 at 8:46AM        Thanked by Sharon Stone
moe1
I think the scale of the lamps is good but I would add some color to the base and shade so there is not such a stark contrast with the strong love seat. I would think to pick up on the colors in the painting to bring this area into a more comforting feeling. Moe
January 13, 2014 at 9:03AM      Thanked by Sharon Stone
Ann
Sharon, sorry I haven't been following and am just popping in. I see you've ordered lamps, but they look very small. What size are they as you need good sized lamps or they'll look silly? The lamps in the room now (brown bases) look to be a good height. Are the new ones about the same?
January 13, 2014 at 9:55AM     
Ann
I like the idea of "lightening" the room with a light rug.
January 13, 2014 at 9:58AM     
Sharon Stone
Ann, I replaced those brown lamps with larger ones. I will post pictures when I get the chance. They are the same height, but wider. Also, a pic of the rug, which in my opinion, just makes the room look dark. We live in the pines, and it's so shady. Joan Heck, Love the idea of the aspen colored textured throw...will look into that. Also, in my pictures, I will take some pics of how the furniture is placed, and why I doubt if I'll be able to switch pieces around, etc. The metal trees are gone! Think I'll leave the wall as is.
January 13, 2014 at 5:35PM   
karelina
A bit picky, but please use a level to make sure that pic over sofa is straight.
\
January 13, 2014 at 9:54PM     
goodcooker
I love the art, don't care for the trees and would paint the hanging wall medium grey ... done!
January 14, 2014 at 1:53PM      Thanked by Sharon Stone
Sharon Stone
Ok here we go....As you can see the room isn't all that large. It won't allow us to "float the couch" in front of the fireplace, or to add a table on the back of the couch. The cranberry lamps are nice, but not as vibrant colored as we thought they'd be. (excuse the pic of my son studying on the couch) :) I really think that the furniture placement has to stay as is. The next thing is that we are going to have to replace that green print chair. Color-wise, I was going to choose green..olive.. No prints. I think I can save the prints for pillows and accessories. Also, since this room is so dark most of the time, should I replace the rug with a lighter color? Any help is so appreciated!
January 15, 2014 at 1:49PM   
abbyjean
My mind is thinking and thinking. If you feel like this room is small, there is wasted space behind the couch, and even THAT much room can make a difference in how large you feel this room is. So I am going to ask this......can the couch flip around and face the window? It would block that big doorway, but not sure what the room is or if that would be a problem, but think how nice it could be for the window to be a part of your room, and the shelves, too. The chair could go over beside the console table for now, too.
January 15, 2014 at 2:07PM   
abbyjean
May I see a close up of your rug with the couch there, too? And good for your son for studying!!!
January 15, 2014 at 2:10PM   
Joan Heck
Abbyjean...at first I wondered about the placement you described and changed my mind as it would be poor Feng Shui and the energies would be trapped. The flow through is likely necessary with present placement. I agree the lamp colour is wussy and the shades should be brown as the one pic shown earlier, cran base and brown shades, it will help a visual balance. The chair should or could be a deeper cran/olive colour, likely a subtle pattern so the area rug still has it's voice with art. I did notice the arched wall needs a larger wall something to balance the large tree art. It looks too naked and is not anchored enough to support the weight in the major part of the room. The bookshelves need a spot of cran/red here and there to tease that colour along and something of that value is needed on the mantel and a tid bit or two on the cocktail table. In other words carry the colour here and there so it is not all at the one wall.
Don't worry about the area rug, it is fine. Unless you want to change your entire personality and theme and then it would mean a trillion other changes.
January 15, 2014 at 2:32PM      Thanked by Sharon Stone
Joan Heck
I recommend the brown shades so that all the heavy brown colour is not all one the one plain...console table, and sofas. The eye needs to go up with that somewhat.
January 15, 2014 at 2:33PM     
Sharon Stone
Abbyjean, The entryway was made wide so that we could redo our sunporch and make it an extension of our living room. We really like it, and when we have lots of people here, it serves us well. It's the one part of the house that gets the sun in the morning. The couch flipped around would close off that room and makes the room feel smaller. We've already tried it, but thanks!
January 15, 2014 at 4:41PM   
alwaysdesigning
I think you could try brightening them up with pattern. Try Pinterest for "rubber band vases" and try spraying with a color, or even silver or gold. They would look very artsy and tie in colors of your painting as well. Try also to hang some art behind the lamps and up the wall on each side of your big artwork. Your wall needs the accent as well, to fill that entire space and give it some punch. Good luck
January 15, 2014 at 5:05PM   
Studio NOO Design
Zemptron, nice lamps...they need to be higher and artwork needs to be wider...
January 15, 2014 at 5:22PM   
vkilpatrick
I have recovered lots of lamps shades with fabric and it looks amazing! Take your time, cut very carefully, iron the fabric before you put it on, use spray adhesive and meticulously wrap it around the wire.
January 15, 2014 at 5:32PM   
diannadks
Can you use them in another room? Great lamps but they need
A nice contrasting color to "show off "
January 15, 2014 at 7:42PM   
chrisinky
1-Not sure this will work or if you would like it, but worth a try. Back the couch up against the window wall. Move the desk/table that is in front of the window to the wall on the left of the arch. Slide the lone chair that's there now to one side or the other to make a little room.

2-Another option requiring the couch in front of window. Will the love seat fit on the wall to the left of the arch? If so then put the new chair (when you get it) & a nice big ottoman on the tree print wall with the desk/table beside it.

3-Angle the couch, left side close to the window with the floor lamp on that end, right side pointed more at the loveseat wall. Leave the loveseat where it is, but move the end table out a little bit to be close to the couch too. Slide the desk/table down towards the bookcase. It will be behind your couch, making that a sort of office corner. When you get new chair back it up closer (but angled) to the wall to the right of the arch & put a big ottoman in front of it.

On all 3 of these you would orient the rug & coffee table with the direction of the couch.
If you leave it as is, move the floor lamp to behind the lone chair to give that corner some light.

I hope you can use something from these ideas.
January 16, 2014 at 7:36AM     
chrisinky
I agree with whoever said add some more cranberry around the room to spread it out. I did just notice that there is also a nice yellow/gold color in your tree print. Use that to brighten things. I think that color would look better for lamp shades than the dark brown. Also throw a golden yellow throw over you loveseat or couch. Add cranberry & gold pillows. Put a tall cream or gold colored vase, etc. on each end of your mantle. The dark items that are there now just aren't standing out. The olive green you wanted will go along fine with these colors.
January 16, 2014 at 7:43AM   
chrisinky
When I say gold, I don't mean Vegas gold. More of a mustard golden yellow.
January 16, 2014 at 7:44AM   
queene0318
I agree with Chrisinky about the wall are being some scroll art, another idea could be to put some small shelves with framed photos sitting on shelve...I also agree with the idea of moving the longer couch under the Tree art...just swapping the two will open up the space and make it feel a bit bigger. After swapping the couches...I would move the smaller one back and to the left...play around with the chair placement on either end of the smaller couch... put the table that sits behind the couch on the smaller wall where the chair is....If you move the smaller couch back it will open up a space between the two couches to walk to the back corner which I'm guessing doesn't get used much. I would organize that area put picture frames, statues,,,or whatever else you would like to add it to your living space decor rather that the whole space behind that couch being wasted and neglected. Add it into the living space...It will really make the room feel a lot larger.
January 18, 2014 at 12:51AM   
queene0318
When i mention the chair Im talking about the recliner looking chair, no the one in the corner. ;)
January 18, 2014 at 12:53AM   
Blah Blah Blah livingroom I need help!!!
I have a odd shaped living room with a corner woodburning...
My blah blah blah bedroom
I currently live in a 3/2 bungalow in the city. The...
My Son's BLAH BLAH room...
This is my 8 year olds room. He loves it because it's...
Blah blah ranch needs serious curb appeal!!
Our 50's ranch is really lacking curb appeal. We want...
Help for this blah blah bathroom...
This will be the shared bathroom for my 3 kids - simple...
bathroom on a budget help
Hi everyone, was just coming for a little advice. Being...
Is the couch too big? Rug too small? What do I need to "finish" this?
I'm wondering if the couch in this living room is too...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
color ideas for my kitchen cabinets
I'd like to paint or stain my kitchen cabinets a new...