Wall of windows
shiplsl1January 7, 2014
I have eight windows across the back of the living room. I also have six windows in my foyer. All windows are seven foot high and about 2.5 ft. Wide. Not sure what I should as far as window treatments, especially for extra protection against the winter cold. I have attached pics, but coyld not get the entire sets of windows. Help! Ideas are more than welcome. Regards, Susan
houssaon
10 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by shiplsl1    January 7, 2014 at 2:37PM
Studio NOO Design
Roman blinds are nice but if you need to open them up every day you will find this very difficult. I would suggest wall to wall sheer for the windows on the pool and wall to wall curtains for the foyer. You need a rod with a rail in it so you can move them as you wish
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by shiplsl1    January 7, 2014 at 2:53PM
With the thick wood panels between each window, you have a terrific opportunity for softness and color here - I like RH drapery hardware- they offer a connector so you can link as many rods together as you need for total length. You could have a standard size panel hanging beside each window, and one on each end - since your windows are only 30" wide, a standard panel is usually 53 - wide enough for 1.5. . now just figure out where to put the supports and which way you generally want to draw them and hang drapery panels on a rod mounted centered on the top trim with your supports carefully placed so they won't be seen when you draw them all open centered on each wood panel and when you close them across the glass . . .it will be very pretty and a lot warmer in winter . . . consider a standard creamy panel trimmed by you with thick teal grograin ribbon down the side (iron on tape) or across the bottom . .. tie it all together. . . and do consider a rug with lighter blue-green tones to contrast with the gleaming woods. ..
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by shiplsl1    January 7, 2014 at 11:25PM
Superior Interiors Plus
These windows are screaming ......Silhouette Shades by Hunter Douglas........please check this product out before you do anything , It will look awesome and very functional best of all the entire shade will roll up into its own fabric covered head rail , and when the shade is lowered and in the open position you can see out but yet during the day you will not be able to see in.......expensive ? Yes ,but not when you purchase them from Superior Interiors ,New York 718-343-6600..... Free Estimate
http:"//www.newyorkblindcompany.com
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by shiplsl1    January 8, 2014 at 4:24AM
Sustainable Dwellings
I would consider concealed shades if glare or sun is a problem. I would not use any drapes. Why would an architect design gorgeous windows if they were to be shrouded in dowdy drapery????
21 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by shiplsl1    January 8, 2014 at 4:29AM
Superior Interiors Plus
This is a Hunter Douglas Silhouette Shade ....consider the 3" less vanes nice view
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by shiplsl1    January 8, 2014 at 4:41AM
SteelCrest Architectural Accents
Although they wouldn't help with the cold issue, have you over thought about decorative window inserts? We make them in many designs and finishes and in any size. They should also work behind most window coverings.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 7:52AM
Cordell Carpet
I think a honeycomb blind would be the most efficient for this space. They have a small minimum mounting depth requirement and the best R value. The also stack up and out of the way to keep your view unobstructed.
6 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 9:06AM
mfwolfe
Not sure if you are going for beauty or warmth we went with honeycombs for warmth. They are very sterile looking even in a color other than ivory, so I finally put sheers over them.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 11:13AM
DMH DESIGN
My thought is to remove and re-work your valance with similar materials above the windows to be double sided--i.e. recessed space above and below a continuous middle piece to accommodate a cable light on a dimmer above and either or both a series of honeycomb blinds and possibly a series of drapes, paired off, for a series of (4) in the back, (3) in the front. It can be shallower above than below to account for the heighth of the blinds/rods you are concealing. Blinds are good for the summer sun & drapes good for winter warmth. Happy Houzzing.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 12:33PM
lepstein
I have four large south-facing windows and three west-facing windows in a bay format. I have blackout Silhouette shades placed inside the window frames. I love them. I can open them completely if I want more light, partially if I want diffused light, and close them for night privacy. Their width allows more insulation than sheers, and they are not bulky like curtains. You could put some panels at the sides if you wanted to add another colour, but a pull-across curtain would close off at least half a window at each end. As I said, I am very happy with my S shades.
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 2:42PM
Another side : > ) If you do full panels you will have a lot of fabric, which is fine, but it is a lot. You get lots of sun, which brings heat during the day. Maybe you should consider exterior rolling shutters to lower at night.

3 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 2:48PM
auntiebuzzybee
I would first start with the windows for the foyer. I could see where privacy in that area, particularly at night might be an issue and you do seem to need something there. The back area though, I don't see from photos that you need them for privacy. See how you like the foyer then deal with the back. Other than the cold you mentioned, is any other reason you would want them and are there any other remedies like caulking and adjustments that would be a simple maintenance issue that could fix both? I guess I'm saying that they are GORGEOUS with a wonderful full view and natural light. AND the trim is beautiful. I have no professional advice but I will say, if it were me to do over again in my own home, I would get blinds or draperies that would be the lightest weight to "tug" on and the easiest to maintain, whether it be keeping a pleat or considering pets. I would NEVER do what I did before which is all wood 2 " blinds. My windows are expansive and they (wood blinds) are heavy as lead. Additionally, in Florida humidity, they have areas they have warped. I wish I'd gotten fake ones! LOL! The sales person, I distinctly remember her telling me to put the draw string on one side and the turn stick on the other to make them look balanced....duuuuhdumb. I have to go from one side to the other to get a twenty step process done. The HECK with that! Put them both on one side and be done with it! I'm such a grouch but honestly, I should have thought instead of agreeing with her. At least the blinds are fairly easy to clean with pets and their hair and noses looking out the window. I sure would not do those grill looking inserts above, no way! The honeycombs do come with black out backing and are fairly easy to dust and they are light weight. I don't really know much about the silohouette shades but they look almost unobstructive, lightweight and probably come in a variety of textures or fabrics. They look light weight like honeycomb but more open than roman shades. The Roman shades would cut off too much of the top after they gathered up all that window length of material. That's a lot of stacking up! (Morning work out lifting those Romans) Hopefully, the S shades are sensible and do what they are supposed to do. Is this a heat problem too? If you want to go with a softer look, libradesigneye will never steer you wrong so panels might be nice if you are doing this for the temperatures. They may suit you also because your furnishings are somewhat traditional. ME? I JUST LOVE YOUR WINDOWS AND WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT OPEN FEEL. Unless I HAD to, I'd probably just enjoy the view and light. That's my aged, amateur opinion. You are in great hands. Figure out why you want, what you can womanhandle and they will take it from there! Good Luck!
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 9:58PM
auntiebuzzybee
What does the front foyer look like? would all these window treatments be seen from one area, basically?
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 10:01PM
Angela De Rose Interiors
I would strongly suggest roman blinds. Your windows are beautiful and romans would give you privacy and warmth without distracting them. Choose a calm neutral with texture over pattern. good luck :)
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 10:08PM
dianecourbat
Floor to ceiling drapes will give you the insulation you need to keep out the cold. Any kind of blinds will not do that. I suggest working with a decorator and it would be pricey.
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 10:20PM
Landscape And Architectural Design Products PL
If you look closely at all the images people have posted in their answers , you will see that all of the timber frames and blinds are LIGHT COLOURED . One of the biggest issues with your windows that i see is that they are low, the timber panels between them are quite wide and dark in colour , and your ceiling is relatively low.........so it is creating a very dark shadowy look .

You might consider painting your window frames in the same colour as your walls and ceilings ( ie a shade of white / cream ) , which would mean that your outdoor views are then framed more cleanly , and the dark shadowy interior look will disappear. You will also then immediately see your "view" outside , instead of your eyes being distracted onto the heavy looking timber frames.

The new lighter coloured frames would then give you endless options for many the types of blinds that have been suggested above. One last suggestion, try to keep the whole wall ( ie wall colour/ window frame colour / blind colour ) monotone and light in colour ...........it will give your room a brand new fresh modern lift and look .

Now all the natural timber lovers will pounce on me ..LOL

Good luck, you have a beautiful home

Glenn
6 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 10:22PM
Shuler Architecture
Hi Susan. You have a beautiful home. Another idea to consider are plantation shutters. I've used them on my own home and absolutely love the privacy they afford me (tight urban location) and the amount of natural light they allow to penetrate into the interior of my home. You can have them manufactured out of any species of wood and should be able to match the trim and valance in your living area. I purchased mine from a vendor I found on eBay and they were remarkably affordable. Shutters for doors look something like this:

http://www.plantation-windowshutters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/French-Door-Shutters.jpg

Good luck with your project.

Mark Shuler
1 Like    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 11:08PM
Bonnie
I agree with the comment above that if you are planning on raising and lowering shades every day that many windows will be a real pain. I have shades in my son's room and hate them. They are difficult to raise and lower so many days the shades stay down... a dark cave :( . I have seen "thermal sheers" that could be closed at night and opened during the day, which would not add any heaviness to the window and I think be pretty easy to manage. I think plantation shutters are nice too but for that many windows cha ching $$$$$
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 11:26PM
LB Interiors
Wonderful view and nice room!. I think I would use sheers or semi sheers. Love the natural light. I would like the spacious feeling that you already have. It is about your preference for view or insulation options. This would not help for insulation much, but does slightly make some difference.

Sheer panels will soften the feeling of the room with all the beautiful wood frames, flooring and mantle. I would use a motorized unit that will separate from the center of the total window space. The center window will be divided, but don't visually have a problem there.

Covering these windows will be somewhat pricey anyway. I would get estimates for traverse rod drapes or motorized drapes to make your decision. A motorized unit will be the easiest and simplest to adjust how much open window you would like.
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 11:56PM
smileyface2013
I vote for cottony sheers, which will let in the light and you don't have to open and close them every day. Plus they softly filter the light without blocking it completely.
    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 5:27AM
I love cordless roman shades and Country Curtains has some thermal ones I like.
    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 6:35AM
yoboseiyo
those are GORGEOUS windows!

if you like the idea of panels on the edges, but don't think they'd give the privacy you want, you could frost the glass. at 2.5' wide, a standard window film would work well, as they're 3' wide.

they're actually pretty easy to install, and in my experience, they don't look bad.
    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 7:45AM
lepstein
Window film will not let you ever look at the full colour view. The S blinds can be put on remote for ease of opening and closing (mine are not and I don't find opening and closing a problem). They close into a 2" spot at the top and virtually disappear (no need for a false valance. Plantation shutters will have the same problem as drapes - when open, they will take up a good part of your window.

Glenn: My trims are painted white, but I would leave these as is as that is part of their attraction.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 8:29AM
Decor Team
There are special thermal fabrics that help keep the heat in. I would have custom drapes made and lined with thermal fabric. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 8:48AM
analogg
Surprisingly, I like the pic with the bamboo shades. Could you live with clear plastic over the windows in the winter?
    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 3:18AM
ellyn143
I've had Hunter Douglas Silhouette Shades in my past two homes and love them! I agree with several of the posts above however that it's a hassle to raise and lover shades of any type (Roman, pleated, etc) everyday on so many windows. Hunter Douglas Shades do come with a remote control option that allows you to raise and lower the shades with the push of a button. It's a pricey add-on option but well worth it in the long-run if that's the look you like.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 5:56AM
D John Design
I like the idea of doing long panels, there are so many choices of pre made curtains and even custom curtains are affordable. Blinds tend to be clunky and expensive. The other advantage of curtains is that it makes your ceilings look taller when you hang them up high. The panels do not need to be attached..and can just cover the wood mullions.
    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 6:37AM
yvonne_pinckney
I love your windows! I want them in my dream house after I hit the lottery. Beautiful!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 7:54AM
rwiding
I have the same challenge. I am planning to install lined roman shades as shown on the cover of Elle decor.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 8:26AM
wallacegal
@Yvonne_pinckney...are you in Michigan? It's the only Pinckney I know.

No one has mentioned what I did with my floor to ceiling windows. When we built, I wanted lots of wood so all of my windows are trimmed in oak and the windows are oak as well. I didn't want to cover all that gorgeous wood, so I bought Everwood blinds by Hunter-Douglas in oak .
http://www.hunterdouglas.com/our-products-detail.jsp?id=19

I never raise them unless I open the windows and except for the bedroom and bath, I don't close the blinds either, but they're easy to close, compliment the wood of the windows and the trim, do help with insulation when it's horrid cold out and they're gorgeous. Easy to clean, I just Swiffer them. They're an alternative I thought I'd toss out there. Your windows and the surrounding wood are just beautiful. It would be a shame to cover any of that.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 8:28AM
oddduck25
It looks like you have plenty of privacy. A film professionally applied to the windows may help with keeping the heat in. Not sure how much of that great view you're willing to block but we have a similar setup in our master bedroom with the windows under a vaulted ceiling. I intend to install a ceiling-mount curtain rod. You could do a single with insulated curtains, or a double to have sheers and curtains. It could traverse all from one side, or from both sides.It would be a lot of fabric, but I think it could also add quite a bit of personality.

I like the idea of the shades, too. Since you have so many windows, I'd spring for the remote-controlled ones. They may not block too much of the window if you mount them at the very top of the wall.
    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 10:31AM
Vida Flora Design
Have you considered panel track blinds? Picture standard vertical blinds that used to be common on sliding doors, except MUCH wider. You control the width of each panel and can extend the track past the window so the stack back keeps windows exposed. I used this method on a very large set of sliders and windows in a south-facing master bedroom, using solar shade material. This preserved the view, provided lots of sun protection, and some privacy as well. You can choose any fabric from rattan to drapery fabric to solar shade material, based on your decorating style and other parameters. They look much more modern than the old style (wider the better) and are easy to open fully or just partially.

My current home also has a wall of windows and sliders--all south facing. The house came with honeycomb shades (not my favorite--get dusty and are hard to clean). I've placed a very long, very low bench (toddler stool height) in front of some of the windows, and have added some large plants in boldly colored pots. This filters the view and only makes it necessary raise and lower a few of the shades at night. The plants provide enough of a filter for the other window to allow those shades to stay up all the time.

Since your trim is dark and heavy, the aforementioned method would also work with some hanging plants above the bench to lift the view higher into the room and away from the molding, which makes the room feel smaller and lower.

Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 11:48AM
patti mcnab
We have similar windows but we need privacy so after many failed choices ( waste of money :(
I went with my first option of 3 in wide california shutters -absolutely love them:)

At first I felt they were too expensive but if I had of just installed them first - would have saved myself alot of money and sleepless nights trying to figure out the "right" window treatment
Our floor to ceiling windows are in every room across the front of our bungalow- living room - office and our master bedroom.
The windows are commercial grade with a tint that people cannot see in -
In The Day but at night we were a fishbowl...
I had them made so the the top 1/3 open and closes independently from the bottom 2/3
but usually we keep the living room open all the time.
They are great insulators, as I live in Canada where it can get pretty cold...
I also love the look from the street as they all "match."

Good luck and look forward to seeing what you choose :)
    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 12:01PM
patti mcnab
a better picture of the shutters :)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 12:06PM
1340aster
Have you considered installing Rollshutters on the outside. It would be a shame to lose the clean look of the wood trim on the inside and clutter it up. True, window fabrics can warm up the inside, but a rollshutter mounted on the outside can be controlled from the inside with a remote or wall switch. You can control it as you need. These will give great heat rejection in the summer, extra R 2.5 - 3.0 in the winter, full room darkening, and security. This is all I have for window coverings in my home. One large motorized shutter on the master b/rm with a switch by the bed, and smaller manual crank rod shutters on the kid's bedrooms. For more information go to www.courtenayglass.com and go to the TALIUS link or page.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 12:12PM
Angela
So we have similar windows. They We have a 17 foot glass window you have to cover for insulation. Go to Home Depot ask for gas piping and flanges. You can clean and spray paint or just clean and use as is. Use krud cleaner they sell it there. We got velvety curtains from ikea best prices around for that many curtains. Get rings from their too. I will attach a picture so you can see. The rings allow for the curtains to be all the way open to enjoy the view.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 7:33PM
sholes77
Marvin Windows just introduced Shades, they are retrofitable on certain products including casements, awnings, and stationary panels. Not sure if that is what you have but you can see more at www.marvin.com/shades
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 5:33AM
Karen Hartlen
Those are gorgeous windows. If you are not concerned about privacy, you can actually have a company install UV protective window film...it protects your furniture and flooring from 99% of UV light and also offers energy savings. You could paint out the wall to open up the view, versus the dark ?wood that is there now. However, I agree with many here, the Silhouette Roman Shades are outstanding.
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 12:51PM
Diane G.
I have the same wall of windows with stained door frames, in my townhome. . West sun ruined my furniture/rug when house next to me was torn down and set way back on the lot. I finally got sheer ivory long curtains and love them. I did it the cheapest way I could, because we plan to put an awning outside, eventually. In the meantime, they easily slide open and closed on tension curtain rods...horrors. The diff was thousands vs. Couple of hundred.
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 1:24PM
karenbz
plantation shutters would be awesome! hunter Douglas
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 1:46PM
Karlene Hunter Baum, Allied ASID
I can see why you feel challenged by your windows. It's wonderful that you have wall to wall windows but now what? I love the look of roman shades but I think they would be too laborious to open and close on a daily basis. You could do the Hunter Douglas Silhouettes inside mounted in each window but I recommend putting them on a re-mote control so the operation of them wouldn't be a lot of work. The down side is that you will see a large head rail at the top of each window which would be distracting to the architectural element your windows provide. I would recommend an outdoor sheer fabric made into traversing floor length drapery panels. I mention outdoor as outdoor fabrics have come a very long way in design and styling. Many of them look like indoor fabrics today. The outdoor fabric fibers will have longevity in a sunny window and the sheer like quality will make it so they don't need as much stacking room while at the same time they don't look like heavy fabric drapes covering your architecture. To elevate the height of the window wall I would install the traverse drapery rod much higher than the window trim. Just below the ceiling line would be wonderful. Good luck in your endeavors.
    Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 1:22PM
Patrick Mills
Hunter Douglas has some great options got you ! Look at the Nantucket and Silhoutte
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 1:28PM
Susan Vale
I have a whole bank of cedar windows overlooking my pool, north facing (equivalent of US south facing) a previous owner installed holland blinds which I rarely close even at night with the light on I have reasonable privacy and its a pain individually closing 10 blinds. Also we never seem to get the blinds evenly rolled up which annoys me. I just went with double glazing so I could enjoy my view. You can also re glaze with low e glass or use a film like someone else suggested.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 5:47PM
marjie1059
I love those windows, and the wood trim.
My vote is no on painting the wood trim. The wood is beautiful and balances the room colors in a pleasing manner.
My favorite picture is Bonnie's living room photo (posted last Wednesday). The sheers do not compete with the trim, furniture, or the view. Many of the suggestions would draw attention to the curtain/drapes/blinds, which I think would be a mistake. (Shutters, Roman blinds, etc also would look heavy and ponderous, especially when repeated over so many windows; that look doesn't seem to fit this room.) You want to feature the view, not your window treatments. Also, note that the hanging point is hidden--another way the sheers do not detract.
Cordell carpet has a good point about the honeycomb blinds. Sheers sure aren't going to do much to retain the heat in the winter. Cellular blinds would help a great deal in that area, and the photo they chose shows that the blinds do not have to be in-your-face So maybe a combination of sheers and cellular blinds would interfere the least with the view and decor while providing the greatest benefit.
My kitchen, while not nearly so expansive, has nothing permanent because I can't decide. I use curtains on tension rods on the two windows visible from the street (yes, I put them up each night and take them down each morning--no obstructed view, thank you), and nothing on the back windows (no neighbors there). I don't want to put anything into the wood. I want the view, yet privacy. I think I will get cellulars for the two "traffic windows" (passing cars can see inside) that go up from the bottom or down from the top. That way I can have light at the top, or see the sunset in the top half of the window, while the drivers still can't see who is in my kitchen. But I don't know what to do about the cold. And when it was -15 recently, it did make a difference.
    Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 8:16PM
Robin Lechner Designs
Roman shades backed with insullation are attractive, functional, and will help keep the cold out. However, my favorite window treatment are the shades featured in the photos that have several options for light control - not so good for keeping the cold out, but you can always cover the windows with clear plastic insullation.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 4:21PM
msmacchi
When I lived in California, I had a wall of windows across the back of the house (LR and DR). My designer came up with an easy and beautiful solution. We did sheer draperies 3x fullness over a high quality insulating liner in a sateen finish. I could close the liner for privacy and insulation, leave the sheers closed most of the time. The draperies were floor to ceiling and wall to wall. Very nice look. The sheers were a seeded silk like fabric in celadon. Got rave reviews from everyone who came to the house.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 10:32AM
marjie1059
Robin Lechner Designs: I don't really know why, but those photos make me think of garage doors. (And I don't even have a garage!)
    Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 1:08PM
marjie1059
msmacchi: you wouldn't have any pics of that, would you?
    Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 1:08PM
marjie1059
So, Susan, what are your thoughts so far on this vast array of suggestions?
    Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 4:09PM
somfyservice
Pirouette Shades by Hunter Douglas..
www.newyorkblindcompany.com
Superior Interiors
212-671-0162
1 Like    Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 6:24PM
wallysgirll
We lived in a log home in the mountains--floor to ceiling windows across 50% of the back and a huge picture window in the kitchen. Didn't need window coverings for privacy and wanted a clear view the majority of the time. However, after a couple of years dealing with hot summer sun and cold winters, we put up roman shades, which allowed heating/cooling help, but we were able to have an open view most of the time. Plus, we found this to be the least expensive, but attractive solution. If you're handy, you can make your own.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 7:15AM
SOLARIS
Www.enerlogicfilm.com. Blinds and shades will work to keep more. Heat. In to varying degrees WHEN THEY ARE CLOSED, resulting in no view. Low-e window film will help control temperature AND allow you to keep your view.

Here is the view through some enerlogic film on a cold, snowy day. More images available on our website.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 10:05AM
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
Roman shades attached on each door.
    Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 11:08AM
Superior Interiors Plus
that is awesome ....what do you do at night? when people can see in?
a tinted window takes away from the view? it always looks like its a rainy day.... not a fan of tinted windows .......check out a Hunter Douglas silhouette shade
    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 3:25AM
hatetoshop
I've just had Hunter Douglas Silhouettes installed on windows and doors that expand across my family room and kitchen. They have the Easy Glide system, so very easy for raising/lowering. But I am experiencing a problem with them, and Hunter Douglas has already replaced them once because of it -- the fabric puckered (have no better way of describing it). Although replaced, two of the shades covering the doors still pucker, so back they will go. If you do get the Silhouettes on any doors with handles, you might want to opt for the 2" so that use of the handle is not impeded.

You have a beautiful home. Enjoy!
    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 3:42AM
SOLARIS
Shiplsl1 is specifically looking for a solution to control temperature in the winter. Again, some blinds and drapes will be effective in this regard, when they are closed. As you can see from her open view to the pool, privacy is probably a minor concern over interior comfort. Installing a low-e window film will increase the energy efficiency at a low cost AND allow the open view.

If you need privacy at night, a blind or shade is far more effective but the member did not mention this. People who say they do not like window film are likely not aware of the latest technologies available. Our films are nothing like what you see on cars driving down the road. Clear views, proven energy efficiency 24/7 and fade protection of your furnishings as an added bonus.

I encourage you to take a look at www.enerlogicfilm.com for your winter heat retention needs.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 7:34AM
Loom Decor
Lined draperies might be your best bet. Couple those with some romans or wood blinds and you will have unbeatable protection against the cold. In the colder part of the country, interior designers often recommend their clients get full length drapery panels with lining and interlining. This adds a couple extra layers of protection from the elements (and also helps keep the cold air in in the summer). You can play around with different drapery styles on our site. I have pulled a couple looks that seem like the would work well in the space. You could even put them on a ceiling mounted ripple old track so the panels can be completely pushed to the side when not in use and you will still be able to enjoy all the wonderful light that those windows let in! If you want to discuss further, I am more than happy to talk through some recommendations. I hope this helps! Happy decorating!

Design It Yourself Decor | loomdecor.com | blair@loomdecor.com

Blue and White Ring Top Drapery Panels
Navy Bird & Branch Rod Pocket Drapery
1 Like    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 7:50AM
Outre
I personally have the Enerlogic Film that Solaris is talking about on my home and it is amazing. Not only does it allow me to keep my blinds open whenever I want, but it also helps block the heat in the summer and keep the heat in during the winter. Awesome Product!
2 Likes    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 9:18AM
keestey
Beautiful windows with a pool view-I would not cover unless sunlight is an issue. An area rug would make the room warmer and less "woody".
    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 10:35AM
I would not cover them.
    Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 7:35PM
Delmarva Blinds & Shutters
You can do top down cell shades.I think they would be great in those windows good luck
1 Like    Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 12:09AM
somfyservice
Superior Interiors .... New York City, Long Island,
An Authorized Hunter Douglas Showcase Priority Dealer
http:// www.newyorkblindcompany.com
Free Estimate.....
we offer shop at home service
    Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 12:29AM
roktta
How long can a pirouette from Hunter Douglas be to have them motorized. I have 9.2 ft windows in my bedroom.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 10:20AM
COURTENAY GLASS LTD
This is a job we recently finished. The customer was first only interested in glazing, but after discussing shading options they opted for rollshutters on the outside of the house. Our customer did look at interior shading options which were also going be quite expensive, but the bigger question was regarding performance and maintenance. The rollshutters have given these folks complete control to open and close these depending on whether the sun is facing or not. The house is situated south west and gets all day sun with high loads in the afternoon both direct as well as reflection off the water (they are ocean front) These shutters are aluminum and foam filled which results in extra R value for keeping the heat in as well as full heat block. They will also give extra noise deadening, privacy, security and great room darkening to sleep in. Because they are mounted on the outside, they are easy to hose down for maintenance as opposed to trying to scale ladders on the inside to take down to clean.
    Bookmark   January 12, 2015 at 9:12AM
Does anyone know the width of wall from wall to window?
I have a similar spot for a sink and worry about it...
kmharshbarger
The wall of windows; what are the make of the windows and dimensions?
Beautiful wall of windows. We have a contemporary home...
Cynthia Schell
what window treatments were used in the middle level 'wall of windows' on side?
I have a similar room and am struggling with window...
sswhouzz
How to update living room?
Paint wood paneling? Paint fireplace? Love ceiling...
switzer29
Houzz, we miss the Filters
Anyone else missing the filters in the last week or...
Barnhart Gallery
What color curtain looks better?
I'm confused on what color curtain to keep.
rosem55
Kitchen help
Hi, I have a pretty straightforward question. I have...
Pat Reeves
Bad interior paint job by a contractor
So about a month ago we had a contractor come and paint...
michelle_ekkert