How to lighten up this kitchen?
wardrobemenu
We are looking to lighten up this kitchen by painting the cabinets and the walls white. We chose white subway tile with the intention of refinishing the cabinets in white. However, I now hear a lot of advice against painting cabinets. Especially since ours are brand new, I am not sure I should mess with them. Just paint the walls white leave the cabinets as is? Any other ideas out there?

Backsplash: white subway tile
Countertop: river white granite
Flooring: cream textured tile
chad1099
I have a very similar dilemma...we went from adding a few cabinets to painting all of them to replacing all of them. At the end of the day, our issue was they were cheap no - frills cabinets. i think it is mainly up to your budget.
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 5:47PM
tennisanyone
I want to ask why would you put in brand new cabinets and then want to paint them white. Maybe you should have done white in the first place. If you really love the dark and I assume you do since they are brand new, then don't listen to everyone else even on here.
5 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 5:48PM
mcbmd3
Under cabinet lighting. Get rid of the vertical blinds on the sliding door. Perhaps pendant lights over island. Good luck. Pretty kitchen.
10 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 5:50PM
khillen
I like your kitchen. I think with your light floor your dark cabinets look great. How about some lighting? Do you have undercounted lighting? Maybe some pendants over your island, or some pot lights centred over your cabinet doors.
3 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 5:50PM
wardrobemenu
We did budget about 2000$ for updating the kitchen. However, since these cabinets are less than two months old (new construction and the cabinets came with the home), I am not sure if we should replace them so soon.
   January 7, 2014 at 5:50PM
wardrobemenu
Tennisanyone: these cabinets came standard with our new home. Thus they are brand new yet not what we love. Upgrading through builder for white cabinets was close to 6000$. Thus we saved the job of refinishing for later.
2 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 5:52PM
chad1099
Your cabinets do look nice and would brighten up from the paint, backsplash and hardware. painting alone isn't that difficult. If you sand everything, it is a pain, but I had a rep at Sherwin Williams tell me to degloss them and not sand when I was researching what to do. That would make it even easier. use some hangers for the door and a good paint gun, and they will turn out fine. But it is a bit of work and lots of time to do multiple coats and touch ups. I'm back to my original point on your budget, but would add how much time and patience do you have?
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 5:54PM
wardrobemenu
Khillen: Thanks! what are pot lights? Also any suggestion for DIY under cabinet lighting?
   January 7, 2014 at 5:55PM
sstarr
I think they would look much better in this room if they were white; I would go ahead and refinish (the Rustoleum product is reportedly good).
2 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 5:55PM
wardrobemenu
Chad1099: patience zilch! Budget about 2 grand
   January 7, 2014 at 5:56PM
wardrobemenu
I already have quotes for about 2000$ for refinishing the cabinets. Just a call away from starting the work if I decide to go ahead with the job.
   January 7, 2014 at 5:58PM
tennisanyone
Get as much wear from them as possible because they look nice and then down the road, put in white cabinets after the kids leave for college so they will stay clean and white :)
5 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 5:59PM
wardrobemenu
Sound advice. Kids out of college will be two decades from now, if I have kids ASAP!

I get the point, however. Makes sense to "use them up" and replace.
4 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 6:03PM
tennisanyone
I did my kitchen 19 years ago, kids and a dog later and now I'm almost ready for another one. I would do dark cabinets this time around.
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 6:08PM
MarleneM
I think paint the walls white, and live with the cabinets for awhile to see how you feel. I think if you paint everything white, then you won't like the floor, and thats another expense. You could paint the island in a grey from the granite.
9 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 6:11PM
wardrobemenu
Sounds like a plan. Then I get my dose of white - something to match the backsplash too. Use up the cabinets and replace/refinish later. There's only so much brown beige tan I can handle right now!!
3 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 6:15PM
William Roy Designer Kitchens
I would consider doing something with the sheet rock / pained island. White painted Beaded Paneling.
5 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 6:16PM
wardrobemenu
That was in response to MarleneM's suggestion to paint the walls white for now.
   January 7, 2014 at 6:16PM
khillen
Pot lights, meaning recessed halogen throughout, or to match what you have already have. You could purchase undercounter at a lighting store or your favourite big box store. Have a kitchen cabinet maker match the finish to make a valence for under the cabinet and crown moulding on top.
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 6:36PM
karenarnett
i think i would consider painting the island base drywall a deep rich colour to ground it. it is at odds with the dark cabinets. you could then add a light painted valance and moulding on top of the upper cabinets (match the wall colour). this will allow the light to bounce of them and back into the kitchen rather than creating dark shadow areas like it is now. you could also consider changing out some of the upper cabinet solid wood doors with glass panels.
Karen @ kta design
4 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 6:49PM
veeba
Cabinets look great! Take that money and put into decoration; art, new window covering, bar stools, etc.
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 6:57PM
sootmess
You might consider changing the door panels of the cabinets above and beside the microwave to glass and paint the interiors white. Add lighting to add a little "white" in the one area to the bank of cabinets and show off pretty dish or serve ware at the same time. All the comments have been interesting. And it will be interesting to see what you do, since the kitchen is already very nice.
5 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 7:02PM
If you paint them white, you'll lose what little contrast you do have.
13 Likes   Thanked by wardrobemenu    January 7, 2014 at 7:49PM
wardrobemenu
You never know what comes up as advice on houzz! Mostly it's stuff I would have not thought of myself and that's a good thing.

I am leaning towards painting the walls white and reface the cabinets white a couple of years down the lane.
2 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 7:50PM
wardrobemenu
Groveraxle: Love love love the magic spell you have! So much better than visualizing. I have to be honest that I don't quite love the white cabinets in that space. As much as a white kitchen has always been the dream.
3 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 7:53PM
abbyjean
You have a beautiful kitchen and I hope you can enjoy it. I love it all and how it all works together....even the paint color, as it goes so well with the floor and the cupboards, too. I say get some art on the walls, color on the counters with your accessories, stools at the bar and a great table under the light. And have a party!
9 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 7:58PM
nechamaj
Groveraxle, digitally painting the cabinets white instead of dark was genius! The white is disappointing compared to the dark....
Change out some of the upper cabinet doors to ones with glass panels and put white dishes inside to brighten up a bit, reflect the light and break up the monotony. Maybe also change up the cabinet handles to something more interesting or metallic (can't see what's there now).
You've got a great kitchen to enjoy.
5 Likes   January 7, 2014 at 8:07PM
mwilson1
I just remodeled my kitchen and have dark cabinets and white subway tile and a granite with a white base color. It doesn't feel dark at all. I'm attaching a photo. You might want to consider upper and lower cabinet lighting as well as pendants. I also find have some sparkle in your accents can make it feel lighter. Stainless or glass/ crystal hardware will also help. Personally I would try to leave it and change it down the road if it still bothers you. Most importantly you know what you want. I white is what you definitely want change it. It will look nice either way. Good luck.
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 8:08PM
mwilson1
Photo didn't attach. Trying again.
   January 7, 2014 at 8:08PM
rosalindtx
your kitchen is not dark! white cabinets show every drip and finger print- we want to paint ours and unless you really have a very hard oil based paint they will show wear and become dull do not clean them but with soap and water or you will dull the painted finish. you have to take them off the cabinets and use the smelly oil based paint!!
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 8:09PM
wardrobemenu
Rosalindtx: Good to know how hard they are to keep clean. One more reason to wait and watch. I will keep the darker ones going for a while. Add lighting, crystal hardware and may be white wall paint for now.
1 Like   January 7, 2014 at 8:21PM
wardrobemenu
Groveraxle: If I am not asking for too much, could you please do one last one with the dark/ original cabinets and white walls?

January 8, 2014 at 1:51PM
Decor Team
I feel that grey cabinets with white walls would retain the contrast and lighten the room up. It would require you to change the light fixture to something more modern though. Below is an example of a more modern fixture.
2 Likes   Thanked by wardrobemenu    January 8, 2014 at 2:40PM
Dark cabinets, white walls:
8 Likes   Thanked by wardrobemenu    January 8, 2014 at 3:40PM
Lia
I think they are gorgeous! You should add a couple of pendants over the island and some beautiful pulls cabinet doors and drawers. Do you have under cabinet lighting?
1 Like   January 8, 2014 at 4:32PM
wardrobemenu
Groveraxle: Thank you so much! Immense help. Love the look as well.
2 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 4:57PM
wardrobemenu
Lia: you mean the white walls right? I love them. Bring out the dark cabinets and light flooring beautifully rather than make beige/ brown the boring backdrop.
No under cabinet lighting yet but it's on the list. Hardware and lighting and now I am set. At least, in my head!
   January 8, 2014 at 5:01PM
handymam
I really think your lighting could be part of the problem. I think a hanging light at the end near the cabinets would change the way it looks. I would get 2 new light so they match and have the second one installed over the island in line with the light you already have to replace the one that is there.

It is a lot easier and more inexpensive to go that route first. If you still think the cabinets look dark, you haven't lost anything, I still think you would need and will be happy for more light.
2 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 5:10PM
Lia
Hi Again! I had the same dilemma as you. I purchased New knobs and pulls.
Above the white island I would add two pendants- that stand out!
Just wait, once you get stools, under cabinet lighting and pulls it will come to life. especially when you put things on the counter space. I wouldn't paint the wall white.. I would either go with grey or a green gray. Do you have crown molding on the cabinets? Also can you get some glass doors for the cabinets? Ask the people who installed them. they may be able to help you!!!! BTW I think it is a beautiful kitchen very rich looking. Like me you are seeing all those white kitchens and they are making my want to paint my cabs too!!
1 Like   January 8, 2014 at 5:11PM
janeinfo
I like your kitchen (and that is coming from someone who is a BIG white cabinet fan!). One observation I have is this. You could add color bar height chairs and add a huge piece of artwork on that left hand wall. I think you might be surprised how much lighter your cabinets appear.
9 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 5:15PM
K Carlstrom
You might want to consider installing a white painted wainscoting on your painted wall(s) and then finishing your drywall island in a white painted bead board with trims, corbels, posts, etc. Google for lots of images. This would allow you to use a fun accent color above the wainscoting that you could continue above your upper cabinets and continuing to the sliding glass door wall as well. If the accent color is a color you are already using in your home, you might want to think about using it in your hallway also. The white wainscoting and white island base will help to harmonize your space while helping your cabinets to stand on their own. And your dark cabinets go really great with the dark accents found in tour granite.
1 Like   January 8, 2014 at 6:43PM
Frosted glass cabinets, pendant lights, bar stools:
19 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 6:59PM
essen12
How about a color above the cabinets to enhance their color? I also liked the idea of painting the island a contrasting color or bright color. Once you have some of your personal items in place, it will have that lived in feel. Fabulous Kitchen!
2 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 7:15PM
Darci Lewis
Groveraxle,
May I ask how you are doing that? Is it a software program? If so, may I ask which one? I have a really hard time visualizing, and seeing what you did here was amazing. Thanks for sharing!
2 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 9:18PM
nechamaj
I love these globe pendants
1 Like   January 8, 2014 at 9:51PM
nechamaj
And here is another style, also with dark cabinetry
   January 8, 2014 at 9:52PM
Landscape And Architectural Design Products PL
Groveraxle ....can you maybe update the kitchen image leaving the original photo colours, but then just make the 2 walls above the kitchen cupboards white , and also make the kick board ( 4 to 6" plate along the floor level of the two sets of brown cupboards ) in a stainless steel . ( you can get laminate that looks like stainless steel )

I think that is all that needs to be done with the kitchen. The rest looks great !

Cheers
Glenn
1 Like   January 8, 2014 at 10:35PM
roostersmom
the island is too "floaty" in the room when the room is bare. Not the cabinets being too dark. You could darken the island or add dark lights and stools as suggested by groveraxle
   January 9, 2014 at 6:04AM
Lauryn Gorli
Lighten walls, trim out and paint the island. Add a few glass doors to the upper cabinets. Add pendants or lanterns above island.
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 6:13AM
Shakúff
I agree - the white cabinets would be too much. The dark is beautiful and adds some contrast. You just need some pendant lighting and some accent colors to pop here and there. I really like janeinfo's suggestion of chairs/stools with some color in them.
   January 9, 2014 at 7:36AM
As per Landscape And Architectural Design Products PL, stainless toe kick and above cabinets only painted white.

If I were to paint above the cabinets differently, I might paint it the same color as the cabinets to make it disappear. I wish all kitchen designers would simply take upper cabinets to the ceiling.
4 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 8:49AM
tennisanyone
I think we are messing with perfection. I would leave it as is including the wall color too.
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 12:26PM
essen12
I think that a stainless toe kick would get lots of smudges on it especially if you have a pet.
3 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 4:47PM
essen12
But yes, it is pretty
   January 9, 2014 at 4:47PM
wardrobemenu
Kcarlstorm: Loving the idea of breadboard and wainscot. Sure it will make white stand out. Need to run the numbers for that project now. It may be way beyond a paint job cost considering I will be outsourcing it. Or may be just the breadboard for the island and paint the other walls white.
   January 9, 2014 at 8:16PM
wardrobemenu
Groveraxle: Thanks again! I think the frosted glass is opening up the space without messing too much with what's already there. I don't think I have to paint inside the cabinets either since it frosted glass anyway.
   January 9, 2014 at 8:17PM
wardrobemenu
The stainless steel casing is not doing it for me. Not looking for more steel with the appliances already in there in their steel glory! Not much we an do with that trend for now, I guess. Looks like it will last a while, unfortunately.
   January 9, 2014 at 8:19PM
wardrobemenu
These are the pendants, I have in mind.
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 8:21PM
wardrobemenu
And these bar stools/chairs
   January 9, 2014 at 8:28PM
wardrobemenu
Or in this shade
2 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 8:29PM
Amber
Why not paint the uppers white? Sarah Richardson and many others are doing two tone cabinets with dark on the bottom and light on top. The dark on the bottom adds weight and contrast but the light on toptakes away from the heavy feeling. I wish I could photoshop white uppers on your kitchen like the other poster did so you could see it only done halfway.
1 Like   Thanked by wardrobemenu    January 10, 2014 at 7:48AM
Shuler Architecture
One very easy and inexpensive solution is to add LED strip lighting on top of your upper cabinets. The light reflecting off the ceiling will softly diffuse into the rest of the kitchen and brighten things up considerably. You could paint the uppers but you are going to need to use a paint which will off gas for several days despite manufacturer's claims. Benjamin Moore makes a Satin Impervo that I have used on cabinets previously that lays done very nicely and is durable. Good Luck. Mark Shuler.
1 Like   Thanked by wardrobemenu    January 10, 2014 at 8:00AM
wardrobemenu
Shulerarchitechture: could you please give me more specific details about the LED strip lighting that works best for above the cabinets. Thanks!
1 Like   January 10, 2014 at 4:51PM
Shuler Architecture
Oh sure. A simple Google search turns up plenty of suppliers including Amazon (full disclosure: I live in Seattle so if you purchase from them you help my local economy!):

http://www.ecolightled.com/category/led_strip_light_tape http://www.amazon.com/Strip-light-Waterproof-Flexible-Light/dp/B005EHHLD8

Be sure to verify the watts/foot before purchasing as there are strips with different brightness available.

Mark Shuler
2 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 5:07PM
Shuler Architecture
BTW, this is the uber cheapy way of approaching this. I believe there are more rigid products available (like the old track lighting systems). While you are at this, you may want to consider undercabinet lighting as well for which there are a myriad choices. The trend has been to go with LED on these lately as well.

Here are a couple of snaps to get a feel for how this can look:

http://images3a.snapfish.com/232323232%257Ffp733%3B3%253Enu%3D32:9%253E883%253E:52%253EWSNRCG%3D35%3B79366:732%253Cnu0mrj

http://ahouseinflux.blogspot.com/

Mark Shuler
1 Like   January 10, 2014 at 5:11PM
dezign interiors, llc
I would add the tile above the cabinetry as well as adding the above-cabinet lighting. You could also wrap the island, which looks like it's drywall, in wainscoting (see pic). Lastly, you could contact the cabinet manufacturer and see if you could just buy some glass doors. Then you could add them to break-up the mass of brown. If you do that, you could add light to those cabinets as well. Good luck!

3 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 5:34PM
wardrobemenu
Thanks! Will look up led options.

Wainscot: Would love to consider that. Running numbers now. Thanks!
   January 10, 2014 at 6:20PM
lisacabinetree
Lighting, lighting, lighting!! Looks like you have a couple caps on the ceiling above the island... Hopefully those are for the pendant lights that will definitely brighten up the space! Metal cabinet pulls will help define the cabinets. And under cabinet lighting will add a nice glow to those wall tiles.

The wall color looks great with the floors and contrasts well with the cabinets and white trim. Don't repaint the walls until AFTER you have added the new lighting!

Best of luck,
1 Like   January 10, 2014 at 8:37PM
wardrobemenu
Here's an updated photo of the space as we furnish it.

Any thoughts on the chandelier/flush mount options we short listed. Thoughts of white cabinets haunting me yet again!
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 1:30PM
Tess Wakefield
I do not like the white walls. Too stark and plain.
   April 17, 2014 at 3:09PM
abbyjean
Does it work with chairs at the ends and just two on a side at all? LOVE the color you chose for this room!
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 3:37PM
tennisanyone
Put the table under the chandelier in the other direction. It looks off like that. Plus I would spread out the chairs. Put one at each head of the table. I know you don't have kids now but when you do, you will probably move this nice set into the dining room. The kids will break the mirror table and soil the beautiful chairs so enjoy it while you can.
2 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 3:44PM
Sorry, I'm not feeling that table and those chairs in this space. Way too formal.
3 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 3:49PM
mcbmd3
Agreed. It's as if there are two opposing styles going on. One is Versailles and the other is rather hip modern. Sorry.
   April 17, 2014 at 3:57PM
tennisanyone
I didn't have the heart but now that its out there, I agree with groveraxle. Move it into the DR if you can.
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 3:57PM
MarleneM
Is this picture something like the look you're envisioning?

I agree too that your furniture is formal, but other finishes in kitchen are not. If you are going to paint cabinets white, you might look into seeing if it's possible to add some moulding to them at the same time.
1 Like   April 17, 2014 at 10:07PM
wardrobemenu
Thanks all for the honest feed back. Guess I have to work hard in making the space look more formal over all. Unfortunately, we don't have the option of moving it into a formal dining space but hopefully in the future we will.

Marlene M I love that space you sent out. Great inspiration board while we perfect the space.
   April 18, 2014 at 5:59AM
tennisanyone
Just for now try moving it under the chandalier in the other direction so it is not so close to the counter. That is a visual problem that I think will help. More near the sliding glass door.
   April 18, 2014 at 6:02AM
bleuceleste
I like your turquoise chairs in combination with the dark cabinets, the beautiful white backsplash and gorgeous countertop. If you moved the table, as others have suggested, is it too long? Can you remove the center extension piece and just have four chairs as an everyday option, and add the other two for dinner parties? The issue I see between the French vanilla kitchen and yours is space: the wall next to the cabinets feels closed in. Perhaps if you added a very large abstract painting of white on white with some texturing, turned the table, added a beautiful white rug (plush?) underneath the table (this kitchen seems to be about a dream space with the chandelier, and fun in that way). What about using the led underlighting (IKEA offers this too) on the cabinets, and not using the overhead lights when you're dining. The chandelier and candles will put the focus on the mirrored table; you can add some beautiful flowers to the countertop, and voila! I don't know about the vertical blinds in this setting. How about some more Versailles-like or Anthropologie-type drapes to complete your look?
1 Like   April 18, 2014 at 6:47AM
bleuceleste
One more thing: the person who proposed you change the lighting instead of the paint first is probably right. I just did that for my laundry room, which is the entrance from the garage. I t looked terrible with florescent lights, so I had my handyman install a pottery barn light (one that happened to be a sheer bell-shape with an edison lightbulb. We also upgraded the baseboards and in no time at all, with a little money (less than paint, perhaps), the room was transformed! Light is truly a marvel.
2 Likes   April 18, 2014 at 6:51AM
Tess Wakefield
Table is beautiful for a dining room not a kitchen.
   April 18, 2014 at 7:44AM
wardrobemenu
Abbyjean: Tried with two chairs on each side. The table is too narrow and long for that to work. Guess I will move the table further away from the island. The only problem then is the chandelier won't be centered. May be a flush mount would still work off centre.
   April 18, 2014 at 9:38AM
wardrobemenu
Tess: unfortunately, that's the only dining space we have in the house and we do sit down dinners often.
   April 18, 2014 at 9:39AM
wardrobemenu
Bleuceleste: thanks for the detailed ideas. Never would have thought of putting art up there! Also need to look in to the lighting. Guess it an oft ignored feature.
   April 18, 2014 at 9:42AM
essen12
I agree that you need to turn the table the other way and put an area rug under it. Have you thought of putting a seating area with 2 of the chairs on the wall? Then, you could pull them up when needed.
1 Like   April 18, 2014 at 1:42PM
Christina Brine
Love the blue chairs... would like that color to be in artwork on wall. Lighting LED above and below wall cabinets... yes! Island top... extend existing to length of dining table. Interesting fact.

Solar tube lighting in ceiling... can bend and fit between rafters and studs. Solar lights convert to electric at night. I once was in a house that had a north facing kichen and low overhang. it should have been dark inside... yet it was as bright as if it faced South. The solar tubes came in through the roof of the South side of the house! Years ago, houses had interior windows. I recently visited one built in the 1920's that had a stained glass window between the dining room and the breakfast nook of the kitchen. The result was..
In the morning the kitchen stole sun from the dining room
In the evening the dining room stole sun from the kitchen
Cool modern art... frame one single sheet of stained glass... the type of glass. Or you could go on ebay and look up stained glass... inexpensive and gorgeous. I prefer designs from the early 1900's. Painted cabinets show dirt... hmmm... if you do decide to paint... I really like the idea of only doing the upper cabinets. Your kitchen is spacious already. White may make it less cozy. If you do paint... consider Martha Stewart "Sharkey Gray" which is so pale it's almost white. It will go beautifully with the teal and wood of your chairs. I think it is through Benjamin Moore. Home Depot has paint chips. First photo is a sheet of art glass. It may be too busy for you... you may prefer slump glass... which is much prettier than the name. 2nd & 3rd photos happen to be in my cellphone camera application :)
1 Like   April 18, 2014 at 2:16PM
Christina Brine
Google sheet glass backsplash... reverse painted. Bonus,
. Reflective surface bounces off light!
   April 18, 2014 at 2:26PM
wardrobemenu
Essen12: LOVE the idea! Can't wait to get back home and try that.
   April 18, 2014 at 4:56PM
abbyjean
Take pics.....I want to see it, too. Great idea! I can see your goal....making your kitchen count as more than one space in your home.
1 Like   April 18, 2014 at 5:34PM
wardrobemenu
The chairs didn't work elsewhere but some moving did the trick. Here it is now and I love it.
   April 25, 2014 at 1:48PM
YourCeiling
I would also choose to paint the walls white and leave the cabinets for awhile. If you just purchased them, you may start to love them!
2 Likes   April 25, 2014 at 2:00PM
wardrobemenu
Agree with white walls. Ideally, I would love the cabinets white as well. These are builder grade standard cabinets and thus while new aren't exactly what we wanted.
   April 25, 2014 at 2:29PM
abbyjean
Isn't it amazing what a simple turn and moving chairs can do??!! Just like that and you are in love with your room. So am I!!!
1 Like   April 25, 2014 at 2:50PM
Tess Wakefield
Love it now!
   April 25, 2014 at 2:52PM
tennisanyone
I like that you turned the table but how come it is not under the chandalier? Did you take it down?
   April 25, 2014 at 3:09PM
flair lighting
@groveraxle what program are you using to place objects and paint rooms?
   April 25, 2014 at 3:26PM
flair lighting
i would use a linear fixture that doesnt take up a lot of visual space. and i would put two teal pendants over the island, tie to the chairs nicely
2 Likes   April 25, 2014 at 3:36PM
wardrobemenu
The fixture is long gone. We wanted something with more glass or crystals. These are what we have in mind now.
   April 25, 2014 at 4:37PM
wardrobemenu
Flair lighting: bringing the blue into the kitchen; something to explore. Thanks!
   April 25, 2014 at 4:38PM
wardrobemenu
Any strong opinions on flush mounts v. Chandeliers here?
   April 25, 2014 at 4:40PM
flair lighting
how about these
   April 25, 2014 at 4:47PM
flair lighting
what are the measurements of the table?
   April 25, 2014 at 4:47PM
Natalie
Hi---Nice space. I'm glad you've held off painting the cabs for now-they look fine with your table. I suggest adding more formality and bling to your kitchen so your beautiful dining furniture looks appropriate. Metallic wallpaper, instead of paint would do the trick. :) Pics for inspiration. Good Luck! [houzz=Blacksheep][houzz=Allegretto Silver Chandelier, 785840ST][houzz=Cal Crystal - Crystal Knob Collection Beveled Square Knob]
   April 25, 2014 at 5:05PM
juliano albasheer
I had the same issue with my kitchen cabinets what I did is sample change but the outcome was marvellous. Everyone thought I had completely new. kitchen and I never tells them l didn't have new one.
See what l done is covering the out side of the cabinets l mean the door and drawer only .
with wight glass mounted direct to outside doors only .and I choice very modern handle and screw of the wight glass .
I well try sending you photos so you will be clear about what I have done. Plus I did my counter top which in your case the kitchen island with white glass.
Ok I see lia telling you similar things after having dilemma in her case. Make sure you choose the right knobs and pulls should be modern.
And ofcourse l did the LED strip lighting that work best for above the cabinet as well under cabinet. The one I installed come with remote control & multi light colors. Good luck

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
   April 25, 2014 at 6:15PM
janiehburton
I think your room is nicely balanced with dark and light. Keep your cabinets dark especially with light granite countertops. When you choose counter stools for the island, I would go with dark wood or metal to balance with the dark wood cabinets.
   April 26, 2014 at 4:00AM
Christina Brine
If your kitchen walls & backsplash were the same color as your chairs, that would tie the two together nicely. The kitchen would appear to be paneling of the dining room :) if you don't want to paint the walls, you could add more of the same blue with floor to ceiling drapes. One located on the wall left and ther right of the dining table. The drapes are pushed back and hang like pillars, straight up and down. They will act as a visual divider between the two rooms. You don't need to ever close the drapes, so less bulk. Another idea is to add a beam across the ceiling and then a beam on either side wall. Basically, a beam made out of drywall. This would frame out a divider between the kitchen and dining. Paint the dining area a different color than the kitchen. I recommend that it match the chairs to avoid being too busy. The "beams" take up very little space... so you will have plenty of room to walk around. It will define your dining room, making it cozy, yet you will still enjoy the open feeling and sociability of two rooms in one space. Many bungalow house designs have similar floor plans. This photo is of my house... I am having the wood stripped of paint... sorry if it is confusing. I was in the dining area when I took the photo. The space is one long room that is divided into 3 parts. It is open and cozy at the same time. Each space is defined yet all are part of the whole.
   April 26, 2014 at 7:08AM
megannw7
Pendant lights lighten up kitchen and same backsplash
   April 26, 2014 at 7:12AM
Christina Brine
I hope these photos aren't too confusing. This is bungalow style... but you don't need to have anything more than fake beams to create a separation between the kitchen and dining areas.
1 Like   April 26, 2014 at 7:20AM
loves2read
I would suggest adding some glass to the doors of some cabinets--
you would be surprised how much that can change and brighten the look...and maybe add different hardware for sparkle effect

we have dark brown stained cabinets with Santa Cecilia granite (a good deal of it) and light limestone looking large format tiles in our kitchen--there is not a lot of light because the windows in breakfast area face the north and there is patio overhang that blocks light as well...

It's too bad you don't have open space above the cabinets vs the furr-down...you could add some color with decorative items up there--and add some lighting

We painted our interior (all of it) Arizona Heat which is Kelly Moore color--and is very light beige--a true tan w/o yellow or pink or green undertint===and have used this color now in two other homes--
one we remodeled for sale and one is our vacation home in FL...

I would go with something NOT white on walls or you will lose your trim color--as someone else pointed out BUT as another did--
add some white beadboard to the island--where the stools are supposed to go--having a different texture would allow the trim to still be noticed...
2 Likes   April 26, 2014 at 7:29AM
wardrobemenu
Thanks! Wainscoting the island would be ideal.

The beans to segregate the space without being too imposing but I am afraid our space is too small for structural additions.
   April 26, 2014 at 9:15AM
Christina Brine
OK... the beams on the wall that frame the window seat... extend 4" from the wall.
   April 26, 2014 at 1:06PM
Christina Brine
Dropped ceiling defines the dining space as separate from the kitchen, Hidden lighting helps to brighten the area.
   April 26, 2014 at 1:07PM
Christina Brine
I couldn't find a simple version... of beams instead of walls.
   April 26, 2014 at 1:10PM
Christina Brine
Ah, I do have photos... from my old condo... I did this to solve a different problem. After removing the drywall... I was horrified to learn that the bricks upstairs were black, broken and mixed in with cement block. The only solution was to paint the brick... but I loved all of the other brick... ugh! Then... a week later I realized... that if I added a fake beam... I would only have to paint the ugly area. The unexpected bonus was that the white area... created a "room" upstairs. Before... it was just the end of a hallway. Now... it was a destination. So happy. Anyway... I hope these photos aren't confusing. Notice the white "beam" on the wall where the railing meets.
   April 26, 2014 at 1:19PM
wardrobemenu
Okay, now I see how it may not be too imposing in our space. Just not sure we are ready for such a renovation having just moved in!

Good one to keep in mind for later. The beans could add a lot of character as well.
   April 26, 2014 at 5:32PM
wardrobemenu
Finally, took the plunge and painted the cabinets white. All those white kitchens kept haunting me. Ha ha!

Now I need help with kitchen island pendants. It's pre-wired for two pendants and we would like to stick to that. Should we stick to brass or can we mix metals? Mini chandeliers or glass globe? Looking for something classic yet chic.

The hardware is brushed brass. Attached a closer picture of the hardware.
3 Likes   September 5, 2014 at 2:55PM
wardrobemenu
Had these in mind too. So you guys know what style I am tending towards.
   September 5, 2014 at 2:56PM
Ramona
Everything in the room is rectangular. I would like to see something more intricate like the first chandelier you pasted above.
2 Likes   September 5, 2014 at 3:17PM
I like your dark cabs, with white backsplash, but IMO the island should be dark, also. You need dark against white to make the statement,

1 Like   September 5, 2014 at 3:26PM
tennisanyone
WOW that must have taken you a long time. They look great. What did you use on them? I must add now I think the island should be dark to ground the space. It feels as if it is floating, still nice but a darker island will make it even better. I agree with JudyGDesigns.
2 Likes   September 5, 2014 at 3:40PM
wardrobemenu
We outsourced the job. And seeing the hardwork two painters put in for three whole days, I was glad I didn't take it up as a DIY.

The color is dunn edwards Igloo in glossy finish (not high gloss).
   September 5, 2014 at 3:47PM
wardrobemenu
Thanks for advice on the island. We want to put all the furniture back and then decide. We have a full size dining table with upholestered chairs right next to the island. I am concerned that a darker island with make the space looked too dark/cramped.

Will put up more pictures once the furniture is back.
1 Like   September 5, 2014 at 3:51PM
wardrobemenu
Here's another view with the darkish beige wall on one side. The island is the same color.
   September 5, 2014 at 3:54PM
flair lighting
are you putting a fixture back where the chandelier was in the dining area? that will affect your pendant choice. get the table back in place, things on the counters and then decide.
1 Like   September 6, 2014 at 12:01PM
wardrobemenu
Leaning towards a crystal chandelier for the dining table. Similar to the picture attached. But if we go for mini chandeliers as pendant lights then may be something simpler on the dining. We are open.

Will post another picture once we or the dining back in place.
   September 6, 2014 at 12:24PM
flair lighting
do the glass balls you had posted with this above fixture, it will look great together.
1 Like   September 6, 2014 at 12:35PM
wardrobemenu
Flair lighting: thanks!
   September 6, 2014 at 12:37PM
flair lighting
idea
1 Like   September 6, 2014 at 12:42PM
wardrobemenu
Super! Thank you so much.
   September 6, 2014 at 1:03PM
ilovephotography
LOVE your white cabinets!!!
1 Like   September 6, 2014 at 1:14PM
Ramona
My most favorite chandelier of all time.

]
1 Like   September 8, 2014 at 9:48AM
Ramona
You could pair it with those first small ones you suggested that I like so much.
1 Like   September 8, 2014 at 9:49AM
wardrobemenu
Here are the pictures after we placed the furniture. We moved two dining chairs to another room.
2 Likes   September 8, 2014 at 9:58AM
flair lighting
oh ok sold get your chandelier and pendants. but something must be done about that cieling fan at the same time....its tragic lol. do you need a fan there?
1 Like   September 8, 2014 at 10:45AM
wardrobemenu
Ramona: Love the chandelier but the price!

Flair lighting: We NEED the fan, unfortunately. I live in AZ. We could do without lights but not fans! However, it's builder grade and we would eventually change it. I don't seem to "like" any fans though. Not even the fancy ones. So holding in for a while.
1 Like   September 8, 2014 at 11:10AM
flair lighting
Here is a sample ish....
1 Like   September 8, 2014 at 11:17AM
wardrobemenu
Flair lighting: Thanks a ton! I think they pair really well.

We have white custom curtains ready to go up in the living room. They are textured white on white.

We haven't got anything for the patio door yet though. Was leaning towards panel shades rather than fabric drapes. Any thoughts? May just start a new thread for opinions on that.
   September 8, 2014 at 11:24AM
flair lighting
well lets upgrade it a little then. with the pretty fixtures in the kitchen and dining the fan will look like it was forgotten. ill try to find you something. do you have a lighting showroom in your area?
   September 8, 2014 at 11:26AM
wardrobemenu
We have lamps plus
   September 8, 2014 at 11:31AM
Ramona
Yeah, I know about the price. I would own it myself except for that.

Stefanies choice is also gorgeous and much, much less.
]
1 Like   September 8, 2014 at 11:52AM
Ramona
I have to say, I love your choices and furniture, but do not like the globe combination with the large chandelier you are leaning towards at this moment. MO only. I think a simpler large chandelier with the more complex smaller ones works better.

We can just ignore the fan till we find a solution.
   September 8, 2014 at 12:12PM
wardrobemenu
Ramona - the dining table looks a lot more blingy in person. It's an antique brass finish but with the mirror top I am afraid a light fixture with more gold/brass would be an overkill in that space. I would love an antique iron shabby chic crystal chandelier but they are so so pricey.
1 Like   September 8, 2014 at 12:37PM
wardrobemenu
This chandelier
1 Like   September 8, 2014 at 12:39PM
flair lighting
savoy house makes some very cool light fan combos that would fit this space.
   September 8, 2014 at 1:55PM
flair lighting
i would like a linear chandelier but that's just me. i think i recommended that way back.
1 Like   September 8, 2014 at 1:56PM
2014diane
I would try and do the fan first because it is easier to find a chandelier that will go with your fan than vice versa. I also think you should paint an accent wall or paint your island.
1 Like   September 8, 2014 at 2:19PM
flair lighting
what art is going on the walls?
   September 8, 2014 at 2:31PM
Ramona
Keep looking. There are a lot of products out there.
   September 8, 2014 at 2:46PM
CarolynMichael Rice
Can you take several uppers and replace inside with glass doors! Maybe frosted to keep the room bright with lights inside the cabinets to brighten it up!i would do above the cabinet lighting to have a reflective quality to the space.
   September 8, 2014 at 2:55PM
wardrobemenu
Flair lighting: Need to walk into a lighting store and check some fixtures. Will post pictures when I do that.
   September 8, 2014 at 3:02PM
wardrobemenu
Carolyn: over the cabinet lighting would do well in this space because the wall is darker than the cabinets. Thanks!

Frosted glass: that would be nice too but for now we are done with renovating the cabinets/kitchen. May be in a couple of years.
   September 8, 2014 at 3:04PM
wardrobemenu
Flair lighting: Haven't thought about art yet but may go for a mirror on the wall behind the settee. Straight across the kitchen. No clue on what kind but definitely one in a neutral color, distressed finish or antique metallic.
   September 8, 2014 at 3:06PM
wardrobemenu
Mirror -
   September 8, 2014 at 3:08PM
wardrobemenu
Or this kind of mirror -
   September 8, 2014 at 3:09PM
wardrobemenu
These are the pendant we finally chose.
   September 13, 2014 at 10:24PM
jma715
This really is not so much a problem. The cabinets are dark but beautiful. Take advantage and do a dark light contrast with the whole room. The backsplash is bright white... Which I like but what is making the eye think the cabinets are off is the wall color. I would paint those walls white to match the backsplash. This will make it look less cut off. Then add a large scale dining table that is the same wood stain/color in the big empty area... This will balance the darkness well. To take it to the next level... Get very light or white colored dining chairs to go with the table to continue with this theme... Think those dwr simple leather chairs that crate and barrel copied for much less... Also add a big rug under table to ground the table against that floor.
   September 14, 2014 at 1:20AM
wardrobemenu
Jma715: We updated the kitchen cabinets. Here are the pictures. The gold pendants are for the new white cabinets.
1 Like   September 14, 2014 at 7:47AM
abbyjean
You have such a beautiful home and have worked so hard to make it that way!
1 Like   September 14, 2014 at 8:30AM
wardrobemenu
Abbyjean: Aaaw thanks! You always have something nice to say in the nicest way possible.
   September 14, 2014 at 9:37AM
wardrobemenu
Llz Nolan: cabinets already changed to white
   September 14, 2014 at 9:50AM
karenginas
Cabinets on both sides of stove need glass door if you can afford to replace those cabinets get the size4- 6 inches taller or raise the ones you have 4-6 inches
   September 14, 2014 at 1:23PM
ilovephotography
I LOVE every change you keep making!! It really is so pretty!! I also love that it is NOT cluttered!!!:) I would want this for my own house!!!:)
1 Like   September 14, 2014 at 8:49PM
asquithoatley
looks great- love the whole transformation!
1 Like   September 14, 2014 at 9:16PM
flair lighting
get a fixture over the table that can be hung a little higher, but still fill the space this way you can let the pendants be seen together in the space.
2 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 11:09AM
wardrobemenu
Flair lighting thanks again! After I found these pendants, I was considering a flush mount over the dining. What do you think?
   September 15, 2014 at 11:34AM
wardrobemenu
Ilovephotography: thank you so much. It took a whole year to make the changes and mostly decisions. I am glad it was worth the wait.
1 Like   September 15, 2014 at 11:35AM
flair lighting
it will be lost. it will be small on that big ceiling. semi flush or hanging, here is an example,see in attached pic how it is hung a little bit high because of the crystal hanging...
1 Like   September 15, 2014 at 12:36PM
wardrobemenu
Flair lighting: Thanks! Will wait for the pendants to arrive. So much harder to match brass fixtures unlike chrome.
   September 16, 2014 at 10:03AM
flair lighting
the brass will be hard, but also think of the fixture you will put in the living room eventually too. as you will see this fixture with the whole space.
   September 16, 2014 at 10:28AM
wardrobemenu
True. Looking for an all crystal chandelier for dining with no metal exposed. In my budget, this is all I found so far.
   September 16, 2014 at 10:42AM
flair lighting
budget please lol.
   September 16, 2014 at 10:51AM
flair lighting
i found this collection.... but it might be out of budget for you ...
1 Like   September 16, 2014 at 10:59AM
wardrobemenu
This one is a steal at 135$, but for the right one up to 300$.
1 Like   September 16, 2014 at 11:00AM
wardrobemenu
And this one is 180$. Both all crystal from Overstock.
   September 16, 2014 at 11:02AM
wardrobemenu
I am being wary of brining in too many shades of brass/gold - the kitchen hardware is brushed brass, dining table is antique brass and the island pendants will be brass too. Brass Central? Haha
1 Like   September 16, 2014 at 11:06AM
flair lighting
what is the table size?
   September 16, 2014 at 11:07AM
wardrobemenu
90x40
It's 30" high

The right size for the chandelier should be close to 24"?
   September 16, 2014 at 11:09AM
flair lighting
when do the curtains come? what color rod will use?
   September 16, 2014 at 11:09AM
wardrobemenu
Haven't picked the curtains/shades for the patio door yet. The fabric/panels will be white with brass hardware.
   September 16, 2014 at 11:11AM
flair lighting
idea switch...
1 Like   September 16, 2014 at 11:25AM
flair lighting
longer than wide would be nice 24 is a good size, 28 .....in there...
   September 16, 2014 at 11:26AM
flair lighting
I think they show a good selection of choices, and the prices are fair. I wish you had a lighting store around you....if you do shop local!
   September 16, 2014 at 11:28AM
wardrobemenu
Thanks a ton! Loving some of those "skinny" antique brass fixtures. We do have a lamps plus here. May be worthwhile to pop and see if they have any of these in store.

Used up better half of our budget on the pendants. However, I Love them and I was keen in globe pendants. With so many chandelier options hopefully, it was worth splurging on those!
1 Like   September 16, 2014 at 11:41AM
   September 16, 2014 at 11:48AM
wardrobemenu
Was also considering this from OS not sure if it is too modernish although it is antique brass finish.
http://www.overstock.com/#/9371831/product.html
   September 16, 2014 at 11:50AM
flair lighting
love it! now we can find that about 200 cheaper lol! the white one. not the long one. now i think the long would block out the pendants and sight line to the living room.
1 Like   September 16, 2014 at 11:51AM
wardrobemenu
   September 16, 2014 at 11:52AM
wardrobemenu
Flair lighting: Bingo! I just did! Half the price on OS.
   September 16, 2014 at 11:54AM
wardrobemenu
Looks pale pink but reviews say it is white. Some complaint that it's too white!
   September 16, 2014 at 11:58AM
flair lighting
fyi Crystorama fixtures are awesome. check out their actual website.
   September 16, 2014 at 12:00PM
flair lighting
they are both crystorama hahaha.
   September 16, 2014 at 12:01PM
flair lighting
i think it will bring some bling but not to modern. go well with the table.
1 Like   September 16, 2014 at 12:01PM
McAdams Remodeling & Design
Greetings,

How about replacing a few strategically located cabinet doors with some with glass framed inserts? Then you could display some glassware and use LED lighting inside. This company has done great work for us in the past. http://northwestled.com/
   September 16, 2014 at 1:11PM
wardrobemenu
Flair lighting: Crystorama website! Spend better part of my day ogling at their chandeliers.

Can't wait for those pendants to arrive so I can then pick a Crystorama.

Thanks so much!
   September 16, 2014 at 11:00PM
wardrobemenu
Mcadams: I was aiming for a clean minimalistic look with our kitchen. I like "stuff" tucked out of sight. But that's just me. I do think that glass panels can bring in airiness and texture to a kitchen.
1 Like   September 16, 2014 at 11:08PM
flair lighting
usually they will have local dealer section so you can call a store or visit one to place the order. often times they might have one on the floor for less.....sales! bring in your best inter-web, (lol) price and they will match it. its good to see in person the paint finishes if you can.
1 Like   September 17, 2014 at 11:11AM
wardrobemenu
Pendant lights up. Now on the hunt for a chandelier to match.
   last Thursday at 11:51AM
jc07
Leave the cabinets as they are. The contrast is appealing. Paint the walls white if you want light, and open up a few of the cabinets by removing the doors or installing glass.
   last Thursday at 11:56AM
acm
@jc07 -- are you paying attention?the photo immediately above yours (and several others above) show that "as they are" is already white. that decision has flown...
1 Like   last Thursday at 12:01PM
flair lighting
LOVE IT!
1 Like   last Thursday at 12:01PM
abbyjean
GREAT choice on those! Hope you find a chandelier.
1 Like   last Thursday at 12:08PM
susanmarguerite
You can put lighting above the cabinets and under the cabinets. It's not hard and fairly cheap.
   last Thursday at 12:15PM
susanmarguerite
Also, bar stools: don't use dark. Off white leather stools would be easy to clean and durable. Something like this would be a good choice. Have darker stained legs to match the dark cabinets and the off white leather would lighten up the area.
   last Thursday at 12:20PM
susanmarguerite
A light but colorful rug in the area before the kitchen would give you color. Also. Use some colorful decor on the counters. Flowers, green plant, great canister set.
1 Like   last Thursday at 12:22PM
susanmarguerite
Your kitchen is great. Don't be disappointed. It just needs a little tweaking and good accessories like any room does. It's a great looking kitchen.
   last Thursday at 12:24PM
flair lighting
ideas again lol....
1 Like   last Thursday at 12:52PM
Progress Lighting
1 Like   last Thursday at 12:54PM
wardrobemenu
Flair lighting: Love it! Leaning towards the white/ all crystal chandelier. I think more brass would be an overkill?
1 Like   last Thursday at 1:07PM
flair lighting
murray fiess makes a series called Chateau, in white, check it out.
   last Thursday at 1:32PM
flair lighting
its the bottom left in my above pic.
   last Thursday at 1:32PM
how to modernize/lighten kitchen up a bit.
We just bought an existing home. The kitchen is a...
How Can I lighten up this kitchen?
I have a kitchen that is very dark because of little...
Lightened up my living room and transformed my kitchen
After getting divorced 2 years ago, Ive been trying...
Brighten or lighten up my kitchen
My kitchen feels a little dull. I'm wondering if painting...
Front door color
I had a new door installed and painted but now I don't...
My house looks like a mobile home
We just bought a house and we need ideas to help us...
Exterior paint colors? Remove or paint brick?
We will be selling soon and want to paint our house...
Master bedroom and bath needs an updating.
This is a master bed and bath in a 1948 home in bad...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...