Short Hallway
judiegr
I have a short, fairly narrow 'hallway' between my kitchen and a guest suite.
The hall is visible from the kitchen and in addition to the guest room door has two others, one to a bathroom, the other to a walk-in pantry.
I have no idea what to do with this space but I'd like to do something interesting and original. I've looked at lots of websites and style blogs and don't want to hang a bunch of pictures on the walls or anything like that. I'm looking to do something different and am open to out-of-the-box ideas/color(s)/functionality/whatever. Anyone have any thoughts?
karen paul interiors
I'll tell you these little halls are really tough. My solution in the past is to put down a runner that you love. Coordinate the rug with the art that is on the right in the photo. Then paint all the walls in a brilliant color you love (using the art you have as inspiration). Then take out your ceiling fixture and put in something that you love, keeping it, of course, a ceiling mount variety. It's about all you can do but the difference these few things make is really quite wonderful.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by judiegr    January 7, 2014 at 9:16PM
judiegr
Good food for thought, thanks! And maybe I can do something interesting color-wise with the molding....
1 Like    Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 10:08PM
In a similar situation I have added a mirror at the end. (Adding light and extending the hallway visually); then painting big blue and white horizontal stripes on the wall to emphasize length and then adding a black and white chevron runner. Really dramatic
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by judiegr    January 7, 2014 at 10:17PM
Nancy
what about a brightly coloured wall decal on the right hand wall?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by judiegr    January 7, 2014 at 10:21PM
judiegr
Thanks to both ASVInteriors & fancie. This is my first day on houzz so I'm still navigating the waters and not sure how to respond to each person separately when there's a post in- between but these are great ideas. (And I love decals and have been waiting for an opportunity to use one...)
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 10:45PM
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
judiegr, responding in a thread is great. Contributors feel acknowledged, and your comments can help guide and refine ideas for more complex questions. In a space such as this one, sometimes an interesting light fixture can provide a focal point.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by judiegr    January 7, 2014 at 11:14PM
karen paul interiors
ASVInteriors, Yes the end of the hallway is a great opportunity to have a mirror or a piece of art but unfortunately we have a door at the end. Also, if the budget allows this is the perfect area for recessed lighting to highlight the wall color and reflect down on a colorful rug. I've not successfully hung art on side walls in such a narrow hall, but that's not to say it can't or shouldn't be done.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by judiegr    January 8, 2014 at 6:20AM
chookchook2
Stencils would be nice.
    Bookmark   Thanked by judiegr    January 8, 2014 at 6:34AM
bellburgmaggie
Here are some ideas. I would put in uniform doors - if space is tight perhaps remove one of the doors & install a pocket door. Also consider painting the door at the end with chalkboard paint and trim it out. Here are some photo ideas
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by judiegr    January 8, 2014 at 7:03AM
bellburgmaggie
Missed two
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by judiegr    January 8, 2014 at 7:04AM
marlso
I would do something wonderful with the floor tiles leading up to the door, and change the door color and door knob to work with it. It would depend on the rest of your house as far as the style. Also, a different light fixture above would be great. I think you need to think about how you want your guests to feel entering that area. Is it like an exotic adventure far away or a quiet more spa feeling where maybe you use grass cloth on the walls, and a calming runner on the floor. I would go with the small hall and let that work for me. Maybe an interesting wallpaper with patterns ( again depending on the feel you are going for). If it's a country house I can see pale ferns all over the walls with an organic woodsy light fixture, wooden door knob, painted door and accents.
Maybe close in the narrow feeling even more--like you are entering a romantic quiet sanctuary.
    Bookmark   Thanked by judiegr    January 8, 2014 at 8:55AM
Robert Huff - Hotel inspired living.
Having your rooms and flow into each other makes for a really nice cohesive design, look and feel.

Unfortunately, you didn't include photo's of these adjacent areas (and budget) - so it's impossible to provide you with "perfect" advice. Everyone above has given you some great advice and feedback.

Do the basics; use premium paint and supplies: back of the front door black, the other doors, trim, baseboards, ceiling a crisp white, paint the walls a colour that "blends" or "flows" into the rest of your space. Change the light fixture, perhaps door hardware, a "high pile" runner - all of this will evoke sophistication and luxuriousness.

Have fun!

-Robert
    Bookmark   Thanked by judiegr    January 8, 2014 at 9:17AM
Decor Team
I feel like this narrow hallway makes me want to walk into this home, and see the interesting people that live there. I have also attached a wallpaper that we carry that is similar to what is on their walls. It also comes in a beautiful pink as well. Lastly, I like the idea of a clothes pin wall, because you can hang anything there, and it does not take up a lot of space. Examples: Grocery lists, Keys (if you don't have a million on one key ring), Photos, Drawings, Concert tickets. It is a good reminder not to forget things going out the door.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 9:28AM
judiegr
Thanks everyone! Blown away by all the responses. Good ideas, really got the wheels turning and sparked a couple new thoughts of my own. (One that occurred to me was to trellis the space (possibly an arched trellis?) over some kind of interesting background (cloud wallpaper?) and/or paint the trellis in some kind of interesting way (suggestions welcomed). Again, many thanks.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 12:32AM
Design Theory Inc.
It has a simple function, SO keep it simple. Unless you are reconfiguring the wall layout to give more space to an existing area (i.e. increasing the guestroom). In that case hire an architect, but if we are going the simple route... recess the light (LED would be nice - that way you can save money in your electric bill to offset the facelift), keep the ceiling white, darken the wall (a hue you can live with), use a horizontal wide stripe in the same color family (but three shades lighter), add a runner and some art (something that has the color of the walls, but has a strong accent color).
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by judiegr    January 9, 2014 at 2:21AM
Flooring help!
My dilemma is with flooring. Several years ago, we...
jujoo
need help choosing a wall color for short hallway
My hallway is about 15 ft long and at each end of the...
nbs2707
How wide is the door opening?
Is it your standard 2 1/2 feet? Do you think a split...
hollybegonia
THOSE STAIRS????
Those stairs you used in LR thar anchor up somehow....
zena58
Want to update my bathroom where it is wheelchair accessible.
I have a short hallway to a bathroom with a large juccuzzi...
xaiden
2 questions: Should I get end tables here? What colour for area rug?
We recently renovated our home. This is the living...
timevampire
HANGING A SMALL LEVELOR BLIND WITH VELCRO STRIPS
I had white marble installed by my contractor for my...
harris101
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
What do you think of the setup of my dinning room along with the chand
I hope I can assist anyone interested in interior home...
amorsi2012
Curtain placement help!!!!
This wall is a thorn in my side. I just took down bifold...
rpl814