Stepping up to king after 31 years on full. What kind?
yghawkins
Oak trim. Oak built in. Oak bench. Chair and ottoman. Rest of stuff can go. Should I with a different shade of wood or metal or something else for new bed and nightstand?
visualizemaven
Hi - I think it would be helpful if you searched for photos of bedrooms and then when you fall in love with a style or look, "copy" it! For my taste, I would not stay with the oak. I would consider searching for a king sized bed and then when you fall in love with one, go for it! Then stain the oak trim and furniture you wish to keep the same color as your new wood bed. Your other option to paint the oak trim and bench a soft white or cream (again you could fall in love with a painted bed frame and match trim and bench to that). Some people believe (you can google it) that sleeping in a metal bed is not desirable for health reasons. Right now you have a monochromatic brown/beige/tan color scheme with pops of blue. If you want to stay with blues, you may consider painting the walls your favorite shade of blue. Good luck and enjoy the ride!
January 7, 2014 at 8:38pm      Thanked by yghawkins
Nancy Walton
Or you could consider an upholstered headborad only, as a king-sized bed with both headboard and footboard takes up a lot of visual space.
January 7, 2014 at 8:41pm        Thanked by yghawkins
yghawkins
Unfortunately the oak stays. My husband is not open to painting the trim. Never heard that about a metal bed though. Thsnks!
January 7, 2014 at 8:41pm   
visualizemaven
ok but what is he open to? You say "unfortunately" which mean you aren't keen on the oak? If so, you could hang the drapes so that the oak is covered up more. And use your oak bench in another room.
January 7, 2014 at 8:55pm   
yghawkins
I don't hate the oak but I think it is dated. It was probably dated when we built in 2000 and pretty common in east texas so I didn't realize it. I like the view out our windows so I have always left the windows pretty open but drapes might be a good idea! My dad builds the furniture and the bench won't fit in any other room. So given the oak stays, do you think a darker wood, painted, or upholstered would best compliment it?
January 7, 2014 at 9:02pm   
thingsrcrazy
I think your space is great.....with a little tweaking....you should be able to bring room into the new millennium. Let's start with bed...it's gorgeous has great detailing......start with new bedding..
Something neutral..then use a pop of color on shames and a blanket across bottom of bed thats in color harmony with your chair.
Replace mirror (it's too linear) above bed with a round medium one and use two smaller ones to flank the medium one. New panels in a print color that matches your bedding. If possible use an up/ down inner shade for privacy. If possible move bench where chair is and update cushion that will match your bedding along with new color pillows. Then move chair where bench was.
Then move trunk to end of bed. If chair looks peculiar where
bench was or does not face TV ? Maybe move chair where trunk was.
Edit/declutter off some items on desk area.....if you don't use a chair here...maybe trunk could slid under desk area.

Good luck and post after photos.
January 8, 2014 at 12:38am      Thanked by yghawkins
yghawkins
Things crazy, great help....especially about the mirrors. However the issue is the bed. It is a full and we have a new king mattress on order. I just don't know what kind/ color to get to blend with the oak. You have wonderful ideas so input on bed/night stand appreciated. Btw, bed going to guest bedroom. And no tv in room.
January 8, 2014 at 2:37am   
cbrichards
I think an upholstered bed would be beautiful in this room!
January 8, 2014 at 3:51am        Thanked by yghawkins
American Antique Bed Company
Hi
You may want to consider a Calif. King The bed will have better look a little less square compared to king. King Size 76x80 Calif. King 72x84
I also think a antique four poster with higher head posts and lower foot posts would be great.
January 8, 2014 at 4:12am   
Sustainable Dwellings
For goodness sake. I don't think you have the space for a king, AND, that bed is gorgeous!! If size, weight, room is the issue (personally), then work on that... We had a king size bed for many years.... it was like sleeping on a football field! If we didn't like each other anymore...afterall, we could make a change. It is such a pain to decorate and buy all new pads, linens, comforters, pillows, shams, etc.... I recommend one change for you.. replace those mini blinds for nice roman shades and be done with it.
January 8, 2014 at 4:23am   
saratogaswizzlestick
I am glad you are keeping your bed in another room as it is gorgeous. Can you tell us what style of bedroom appeals to you? I think an upholstered bed would look good in this room and agree with Nancy, no footboard. I would also depinkafy as it does not go well with the orangey tone of the oak.
January 8, 2014 at 5:08am     
Maria Smith
Me too with upholstered headboard. I am super happy with the tufted cal king that I purchased from Target on line. Color was spot on as was pricing. You could paint or re-stain the oak darker or lighter. Agree that some inspiration pics will help you focus on the look that you are going for.
January 8, 2014 at 5:32am     
yghawkins
I have never used this site before and I am so thrilled with the ideas/suggestions. When you are "decorator challenged" like me even the simple things are a true help. This is what I have gleaned so far given my own limitations (staying with oak; king mattress already ordered):

Might want to paint walls, new drapes (possibly patterned), upholstered bed (HEAD-BOARD ONLY), replace mirror, update cushion on bench, possibly rearrange.

Saratogaswizzlestick mentioned depinkafying; guess that is just the tint of the photo..no pink shades; all very beige/neutral.

american Anitque Bed company mentioned possible an antique four poster with higher head posts and lower foot posts. What do the rest of you think about that? I am leaning toward the upholstered but if I go with wood, still need a recommendation on wood type and stain color and would a wood headboard only still be better than footboard too?

Again...thanks to all of you. What a talent!
January 8, 2014 at 8:03am   
mfwolfe
Definitely get out the measuring tape and a couple of blankets. Use the blankets to lay our the dimensions of the new bed. Since it is hard for us here to " see" the size do your room we cannot say some things for sure. One of the things we cannot say is how much room the bed will take up. But I am thinking a four poster is going to be mighty big unless you have a large room AND very tall ceilings
January 8, 2014 at 8:11am   
yghawkins
Room pretty large but ceilings are just 9 ft. Thanks!
January 8, 2014 at 8:30am   
Maria Smith
Painters tape will also help you get dimensions, tape out the bed size leave it there for a few days, then you can see how much room you have elsewhere, I would caution against going w/ matching end tables and/or lamps. You don't have to buy it all at once, take the time to get the right pieces at the right price to bring it all together. It is going to be lovely.
January 8, 2014 at 8:43am      Thanked by yghawkins
yghawkins
So if I did just a headboard but wood instead of upholstered, painted, darker wood, or lighter?
January 8, 2014 at 9:57am   
Nancy Walton
Lighter, if you're not going to stain your woodwork darker.
January 8, 2014 at 11:47am      Thanked by yghawkins
visualizemaven
Hi again YG! The thing with this forum is that u will get a million differing opinions and quite often just reflect thAt responder 's preference. So I would strongly encourage you to sit with hubby and search on line for headboards. It is likely you will come to a selection together. Then, u may want to post your top 3 picks on Houzz and see what feedback u get. At this stage in the design process , it is about u being excited about the headboard. Then the next step will be to coordinate the secondary features: color scheme, other pieces etc. if you love something, u can make it work in the space : it is called eclectic! But remember, eclectic pieces need to be unified by color and/or pattern. :)
January 8, 2014 at 12:59pm        Thanked by yghawkins
saratogaswizzlestick
Ha, must be the photo. Thought you have a pink chair and coverlet but it must be tan.
January 8, 2014 at 1:03pm      Thanked by yghawkins
Photo-realistic visuals and detailed 3D models in Los Angeles?! :)
We bought a new house in the Los Angeles area and would...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Help finish this TV Media room
I cannot seem to finish this TV media room, looking...
Need help with countertops!!! Please!!
We had originally wanted to go with Carrera Marble...
Hack job on new stairs? Help!!! :-(
I had my floor refinishers replace the treads and risers...