How to bring live to this apartment?
Xavier Donoso
My wife and I bought an apartment and we tried to give it a modern and bright look with an Orange accent. We like it but we thing it needs more live with a complementary accent color and some accesories in the dinning room because that gray wall looks a little empty. Andy sugestions?
einportlandor
Nice apartment! How about a rug under the dining table? Or for less money a beautiful fabric runner on the table? Or a fabulous piece of art glass on the table? Take your time, live with it for awhile and have fun figuring it out. Looks great.
January 7, 2014 at 9:41pm     
The place looks great. You're right; it could use a bit of an accent. A touch of teal in three or four places should do it.

Oh, and lower the gallery display over the sofa. I did it for you in the photo below.
January 7, 2014 at 9:43pm        Thanked by Xavier Donoso
Oops, posted the same pic twice. Here's the dining room.
January 7, 2014 at 9:44pm     
nwduck
How nice! When you say it needs more life....you're right. I'm of the opinion that a couple of great plants in containers suitable to the space WILL bring something alive to the setting. Nothing more needed.
January 7, 2014 at 9:49pm     
Curt D'Onofrio
Looks like you have good lighting already. But, here's some fun ideas i like

January 7, 2014 at 9:51pm     
nechamaj
The teal and orange look so good together in the room! Brilliant thinking Groveraxle! Also like how large the teal vase is. Maybe more cushions in teal on the sectional couch? A large bowl of clementines on the table or coffee table?
January 7, 2014 at 10:07pm     
nechamaj
Sorry, thought there were 2 couches there. Can you remove the solid brown cushions? They're downers to the couch arrangement. Replace with teal cushions!
January 7, 2014 at 10:10pm     
Thos. Baker
How about a beautiful floor vase with a tall spray of reeds placed to the left of the credenza and art?
January 7, 2014 at 10:27pm     
What a beautiful, clean line contemporary space! I'd only suggest a sculptural piece on the dining table to bring the orange there as well. I love both these for your space. Bringing in more natural organic pieces will bring life as well.
Jack Planter, Citrus (Orange)
Edinburgh Bowl, Orange
January 7, 2014 at 11:09pm     
It looks like you only have overhead lighting. I love layered lighting for a warm feel in a space. Modern sconces in the dining room on both sides of the beautiful art would be nice.

January 7, 2014 at 11:13pm     
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
Luv Darzy's Edinburgh Bowl suggestion! Consider pulling colours from the painting through pillow, accessories, objets ... your place will sing. I do suggest being careful not to make the alignment so perfect that the space looks like a showroom or hotel instead of a home. Flowers and plants help!
January 7, 2014 at 11:17pm     
Robert
Good looking place, you have got there but I feel you could do with more color in the room. I too loved Drazy's Edinburgh bowl suggestion,or maybe you could put some lovely bright flowers in a vase and place them on the dinning table or a side table.Also the lighting effect could be worked on which will make the room look big and brighter.Adding a few green plants here and there might also be a good idea.
January 7, 2014 at 11:32pm     
kyekuu
1. Some curtains with lovely patterns could do instead of the blinds you have even though the blinds still look good to me.

2. Also some nice medium size silver pots or vase would do. Silver goes well with grey.

3. Indoor plant to have some green makes you think of nature and adds colour.

Nice place you got.
January 8, 2014 at 1:34am     
carol_perl
I love your choice of colors. I would prefer a green accent over teal - take a look at these florals as an idea for accents - notice how naturally the green/orange work together. You have so many areas you can add these too - and they're x too costly.
January 8, 2014 at 2:24am     
carol_perl
Whoops - the last one is totally off color. Disregard it.
January 8, 2014 at 2:26am     
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
The apartment looks great. I would now bring life to the apartment by adding some green plants. Plants would soften the straight lines of the modern aesthetic you have going. Try a fiddle leaf fig tree....

January 8, 2014 at 2:47am     
patunya
I really miss some curves and more colors. Replace those pictures above the sofa with something round and more energetic. Also add some fun pillows. For the dining area I say get rid of that painting replace it with your pics from the living room (above the sofa) and get some eye catching plants on either side of the cabinet like the last photo im attaching.
:)

[houzz=Breakfast Nook]

[houzz=Happy Hot Dog PIllow]

[houzz=Word Pillow Collection]

[houzz=Kitchen]
January 8, 2014 at 3:45am     
patunya
fun
January 8, 2014 at 3:50am     
carolins
Your rooms look really nice. I think that the only thing you need is to add some lamps. Floor lamps (one next to the buffet in the dining area and one behind or next to the couch) and table lamps add different levels of light and some round shapes to soften the look. Added bonus of floor lamps, they provide vertical lines to draw your eyes up. Darzy's wall sconces would be great on the TV wall.
January 8, 2014 at 3:56am     
janeinfo
Love your apartment. I agree to add punches of color in the living area. In your dining room, I tend to be a "less is more" kind of person. Have you thought of removing all the items under your beautiful orange picture and off your table, and then add a very large silver bowl on your table instead of the smaller one there now. I think you are on the right track adding sparkle in the dining room, I just think you need larger scale and fewer items. You have done really well!
January 8, 2014 at 7:57am     
Ann Bethin
Nicely done! The only missing piece I can see is a chandelier over the dining room table. This would draw the eye in and pull the room together. :)
January 8, 2014 at 9:43am     
Xavier Donoso
Thanks for all your feedback. We really liked The idea of teal as a second accent color, and we are going to look to complement The buffet with a lamp on The right and a plant on The left.

Green is a great option too. And a small lamp beside the sofa is a must.
January 8, 2014 at 10:05am     
Robin Lechner Designs
How about painting the wall behind the artwork a deeper shade of orange! Add a contemporary crystal chandelier for sparkle, and add accessories on the sideboard in shades of red and orange. I'd also change the window shade to a color that matches the wall so it blends in.
January 8, 2014 at 12:34pm     
Barbara Griffith Designs
I like the wall color behind the large painting. The rest of the room's wall color is too washed out.. too light I would paint the other walls a slightly lighter shade than the accent wall color.
January 8, 2014 at 12:56pm     
printesa
If you like the orange and teal together, here is a vase that comes in this colors
January 8, 2014 at 1:09pm     
Duh. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. The perfect lamp for this space:
January 8, 2014 at 5:25pm     
Shakúff
Beautiful space! I like the idea of an orange centerpiece on the dining room table to accent the art. Add some more pillows and some colored accessories like lamps, accessories, plants, and I think it will look lovely!
January 9, 2014 at 11:40am     
Thos. Baker
In the course of the discussions, I believe someone suggested an area rug beneath the dining room table, which would be a great way to tie in all of the splashes of color throughout the room. The first sample shows a bold pattern with all of the colors -- orange, pink, teal, black, ivory, plus it's striking presence would be equal to the dramatic energy of the room.
January 9, 2014 at 1:16pm     
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
I agree with Thomas, it needs a colorful rug.
January 10, 2014 at 7:22pm   
DaleAllenSpiry designs
A digitally printed photo with depth and color for the wall. Pendant lighting with additional color to make the area more inviting. Here are some examples from our studio. They may not be for your application but hopefully they will give you a direction.
http://daleallenspiry.com/ https://www.facebook.com/daleallen.spiry/photos
January 10, 2014 at 8:57pm   
tiamay
Your apartment is fabulous!
Do post some new pics when you enhance the decor. Good luck!
January 14, 2014 at 5:28pm   
Leicht Westchester Kitchens
You may want to consider built ins to define the space. Here are a few ideas as inspiration:
DUTCH kitchens: TRADITIONAL style 1
DUTCH kitchens: TRADITIONAL style 2
DUTCH kitchens: TRADITIONAL style 3

Another option is this modular style wall where you can attach different shelves, drawers, even hook up a tv with the wiring hidden behind.
STYLE: Paneel 1
STYLE: Paneel 2

All the best with your apartment design! Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
January 30, 2014 at 3:04pm   
Xavier Donoso
Printesa thanks for the tip, I bought The Orange/blue vases...I'm still figuring out where to put them but they look great!!!

Next steps: pillows (teal), plant and two lamps. I take some time deciding what to buy but after I finish I will post pictures. Thanks to all!
January 31, 2014 at 5:58pm     
printesa
Glad we were able to help. Your apartment looks great.
January 31, 2014 at 6:05pm        Thanked by Xavier Donoso
carolins
Beautiful vases!
February 1, 2014 at 4:12am   
Xavier Donoso
I liked The concept of layered lighting. I bought a floor lamp and it definitely gives a warmer feel to The room. Next step will be The teal pillows and a lamp for The side table. I am using The color palette I found based on your suggestions so i added a yellow touch: The bar tray (still have to buy some colored liquor).
February 26, 2014 at 8:01pm     
carolins
That's a great floor lamp. Looks perfect! Thanks for keeping us up to date :-)
February 26, 2014 at 11:49pm   
Eastvold Furniture
How about a credenza with a little color :)
March 31, 2014 at 1:41pm     
krf9
Beautiful!
March 31, 2014 at 1:48pm     
Galilee Lighting
I think you did a very good job! the space is beautiful.
you can add little wall shelves or wall sconces from the 2 sides of the painting.
How about a modern lighting in a colors that will communicate with the wall painting? here are some ideas...
April 1, 2014 at 11:24am   
How would you modernize this living room or bring color into it?
Without destroying the beautiful walnut paneling, what...
How can I bring this living room together?
Hi folks! New house, trying to decorate the family...
Decor Challenged !!!!! How to bring my living room furniture together?
I will be moving soon to a new house and for the first...
How can I bring light and life to my living room.
It's a huge living space that needs help and I have...
Thoughts on the ceiling fan in a master bedroom traditional home?
Does it look good or does it just look like some lights...
Ugly bed dilemma
My in-laws gave us their old bed frame to use in our...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
If you were to change the look of your home...
....which style would you go for? Would you go from...