High Traffic 1/2 Bath gets dirty quickly - Need ideas!

Suzanne Berman GardosJanuary 8, 2014
Do I need a new sink? Could I put tile on wall with the wainscoting also? This is also where the kids brush their teeth before school and it just gets dirty quickly. Where the sink meets the wall - the paint is chipping and the corking looks really bad. Please help! How can I fix this?
saratogaswizzlestick
I would tile above the wainscot right up to the ceiling that would make for easy clean up. Also teach the kids raptors rinse out the sink after brushing. Dried toothpaste is no fun to clean. I think your sink is fine.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Suzanne Berman Gardos    January 8, 2014 at 5:24AM
Would be best if the entire walls are tiled and a vanity that abuts both walls.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Suzanne Berman Gardos    January 8, 2014 at 5:25AM
apple_pie_order
Congratulations on getting your kids to brush their teeth in the mornings. Kids can be taught to clean up toothpaste with a plastic scrubber or old toothbrush or old washcloth. Also, you might consider having them brush in a different bathroom that is easier to clean.

Lots of people simply recaulk and touch up the paint every year or so. Or you might consider a row of ceramic tiles above the chair rail.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Suzanne Berman Gardos    January 8, 2014 at 7:54AM
1807henry1
I like the sink and the mirror. The wainscoting in our bathroom was originally oak. Later painted it white and had wallpaper. Now it is painted lavender (semi-gloss) with a few shades lighter on the wall. I have some purple accents, including foam hand soap.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Suzanne Berman Gardos    January 8, 2014 at 8:06AM
pharod60
I love the sink. Would you consider a different finish on the paint? I am not normally a fan of anything other than matte but in this case, a paint with a more scrubbable finish near the sink would really help. Another option is to use a paint with an eggshell finish, for example, as a backsplash above the wainscoting and the same color in matte above that. I would make sure the eggshell border would extend about 1/5th of the way up behind the mirror- maybe 12"-18" above the wainscoting??
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Suzanne Berman Gardos    January 8, 2014 at 8:24AM
Suzanne Berman Gardos
Thanks all! Any recommendations for paint color change- thinking a subtle brown/tan for wall and complimenting off white for wainscoting.
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 6:29AM
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
Try S-W's 7532 Urban Putty for the walls in a semi gloss finish and their 7004 Snowbound for the wainscoting in an enamel oil base finish. That will make clean up a lot easier.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 6:45AM
Suzanne Berman Gardos
Thanks Wendi! I love that idea. Would you happen to know comparable paint in Benjamin Moore?
    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:36AM
Edward Lobrano Interior Design Inc.
You could tile the wall or just put up a good looking vinyl wallcovering from someone like Wolf Gordon. It is wipeable and some don't look like vinyl at all. In fact, use it to wallpaper the entire room. It would look great, add some character. Paint the wood work in oil base satin finish paint. IT dulls down quickly to be less shiny than semi gloss but has the same qualities. You can just wipe it off.

Ed
1 Like    Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 7:48AM
Suzanne Berman Gardos
Thanks for all the great ideas! Used Benjamin Moore Bleeker Beige in a satin finish. My carpenter created a beautiful new molding that comes up about 3 inches above sink. Bought new mirror.
    Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:05PM
Designs by O'Brien
Run tiles about 6" -8" over the back of the sink around the perimeter of the room...Could be small mosaic tiles- which would also give a textural pazzaz. Paint- kitchen and bath paint...that is what should be used- it is moisture resistant and can take scrubbing. Bleeker Beige is nice- by Benny Moore.
    Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 12:36PM
Linda Gabriella
I would put a black or expresso brown coloured vanity with a dark framed mirror.
    Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 11:51PM
meganschnall
Looks great! I have a similar bathroom--where do you store kids toothbrushes/toothpaste?
    Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 4:34AM
need help sprucing up the front and the yard of my 1st home
Hello as i am one of the Houzz website addict, i brought...
serginajean
Smallest Master Bath on Earth: will this renovation idea work?
My 1935 house has a tiny master bath (originally it...
maxdc
What makes a bath "high end?"
We're beginning a master bath renovation, making the...
Sheila
High ceilings... high windows... high game table?
With 10' ceilings and 8' windows in this brick sunken...
lisabaney
Help ... I need to make our dining room look beautiful, quickly
Hello, I am in desperate need of help with our dining...
cmpjd
New house in desperate need of updates!
Just bought a new house - definitely a cosmetic fixer-upper!...
tmoose0988
Will putting sealer on polished marble darken the stone color?
I've got polished volakas marble subway tiles. The...
ceemimi
~@ FULL TOP HIT'S[MEGASHARE] Chappie (2015) ONLINE FREE
Chappie (2015) at #Megashare #Solarmovie #Viooz #Putlocker...
sunbokong
New exterior color. Desperate help needed!
We just bought this 1970 two story and we hate the...
Sarah Feigel
Kitchen blue? Is it too much?
This blue I chose when the kitchen was enclosed by...
Josie Bohling
Sponsored Products
14 Inch Chrome Towel Holder
TheBathOutlet
Welles Sofa - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
English Bronze Wall Sconce
$58.00 | Bellacor
Avanti Rosie White Embellished 4-piece Towel Set
Overstock.com
Alpine Furniture West Haven 2-Drawer Nightstand - Cappuccino - 2202
$149.00 | Hayneedle
15736AZT Bronze 12.9 in Kichler 6 LED Hardscape Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
Zuo Pacific Heights Beige Sofa
Euro Style Lighting
Ebony High Gloss Wood and Glass Buffett
Zuri Furniture