Boring Kitchen
bear1515
Just moved into a nice 1950's ranch house with an updated kitchen. The problem is that the cabinets and floors are the same color. I do not mind the black appliances but I need this room to feel more modern. The cabinets are kraftmaid and I have had two painters tell me it would be a mistake to paint them. I am looking for a way to make this room more stylish. Thanks for any advise.
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
If you just paint or stain the island cabinetry but not the rest of the kitchen cabinets, the color will give you the contrast that you are looking for. You could stain the island a dark wood stain or you could paint it white or another contrasting color. The kitchen is wonderful and all it needs is that one small change to liven it up.
5 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 6:15AM
iwantit
Change the backsplash. What kind of material is the countertop? Update the hardware. Get more modern stools. Paint the walls a color that matches the backsplash.
I think you have a lovely kitche and I agree with you that it's a little boring but please don't paint those cabinets.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 6:19AM
jrjohara
I agree with the painters; it's a mistake to paint the cabinets. Elements that add color include rugs, fabrics on curtains and chairs, painted walls, light fixtures (especially pendant lights), artwork and the backsplash. I would change the backsplash in your kitchen to break up the monotony. Paint the walls and add large art pieces. Even if you want to maintain a "natural" decor scheme, think greens and browns and lots of texture (birch bark, leather, stone, slate). If you MUST paint the cabinets, painting the island only is the way to go.
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 6:32AM
rredpenn
I'm not a designer, but my kitchen is pretty similar. I have the wood floor/oaky cabinetry with black appliances too. What my eye was immediately drawn to in your kitchen is the bright red mixer! I think with more bright bold accessories, it will look fresher and more modern. Thnk cobalt blue, bright red, emerald green, and lemony yellow items (rug by sink, stool covers, curtain, a toaster, art on wall, etc). The wall color on the left of the photo is yellowish/gold? Maybe a contrasting color on the walls will help tone down the woodtones too. A grayish blue (like the bowl on the counter) would harmonize with the stainless steel color of the vent. The room off the kitchen appears blue... maybe carry that into the kitchen wall. Finally, a big fun rug in the foreground of the photo would help break up the expanse of wood and give the eye somewhere to go. Find one that has these brighter jewel colors plus a little black in it to go with the appliances. Your kitchen would look great with some bright jewel toned pendant lights over the sink, too. A black framed poster/artwork on that wall would also work. Finally, my kitchen stools are black, tying in with the black appliances and contrasting with the wood island. Maybe that would also be good for yours?
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 6:54AM
Please help my OH SO BORING kitchen!
Hello All! Can you please help me pick a nice shade...
Lia
Simple solution to a dated boring kitchen.
The addition of glass front upper cabinetry to the...
Terri Bennett - Periwinkle Interiors, LLC
Cluttered, boring kitchen
First of all, please excuse the mess! I took these...
Kiersten Mitchell
Help me with my boring kitchen!
I recently moved into a townhouse. My small kitchen...
Lisa
Boring kitchen corner, please help
Hi Houzzers! What suggestions donyou all have for this...
yazfletch
Need help with open floor plan/no entryway
Help please!!! Our home has a strange layout in my...
sarahkj14
Draperies
I am trying to find draperies and lamps for my office....
cagrl
I need a new rug for this room...
Room is about 12.5" x 12.5". I need a rug that will...
Debbie
PLEASE HELP
Our new house has all original woodwork and we were...
K Reynolds Kearney
What color to paint wall above mantel??
Hi! I posted a question a week ago asking for advise...
Deb Hopper