Should we move the dining room?

sguest35January 8, 2014
We recently moved into a craftsman style house. All rooms are on the small size. 11 x 13. Been having trouble knowing where to place furniture in the LR that is separated by the front door. As well, struggling with DR furniture and placement. NOW- I think we my have an idea, move the DR to the front of the house, make the present DR off the kitchen into a seating area. Q- How to make it seem like it belongs in the LR, next to the front door. Wondering if we should build a wall. The pics are just after removing the Christmas tree, which always gets me wondering if I should rearrange the furniture! I will add some ideas from houzz ideabooks.
sguest35
The Warren · More Info
]
1 Like    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 7:11AM
sguest35
Colorado Bungalow · More Info
]
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 7:12AM
sguest35
Don't like the columns but do like the paneling.
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 7:13AM
pgteach
It's lovely the way it is , maybe another couch on the other side of the room as well?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by sguest35    January 8, 2014 at 7:15AM
sguest35
Arts and Crafts Bungalow · More Info
] typical craftsman style, I would opt for two glass front cabinets, no columns.
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 7:22AM
howellmsue
I think adding a chandelier to your new dining area will be the easiest way to define it as a dining area. Your house is lovely!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sguest35    January 8, 2014 at 7:26AM
sguest35
Yes, I agree a chandelier has to go in that space.
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 7:37AM
sguest35
Also want to paint the LR to warm it up.
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 7:38AM
lrm1
I love your idea of moving the dining area to the front, one side seems like it is unused. I bet you would use the new sitting area a lot. You have a lot of furniture to play with. I am not a designer, I hope some one steps forward I would love to watch this transformation!
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 10:53AM
sguest35
Yes llm that room needs reorganizing. we just took down the tree. Thanks for your comment.
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 2:18PM
Here are some ways to break the large space with foyer into manageable pieces and retain the craftsman vibe. Just be sure you select the side with the shortest distance to the kitchen for the dining space. Maybe a pass through window would be helpful if they are too far apart.
Contemporary Shingle Style Living Room · More Info
Edgfield House · More Info
Decatur Bungalow Remodel · More Info
Entry Way · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by sguest35    January 8, 2014 at 3:09PM
sguest35
Thank you decoenthusiaste. Our kitchen would be down a short hallway, so that does raise the question about proximity to kitchen. However, many formal DRs are not right next to the kitchen.
Next, I'm going to look for the "family room off the kitchen" design.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 3:40AM
Natasha Assa
Large open plan rooms can be divided into different areas by a centerpiece furniture, e.g. round accent table placed in a passageway across from the entrance. I will send you the ideabook on how to divide a long narrow living/dining room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by sguest35    January 9, 2014 at 4:12AM
sguest35
Natasha, I hadn't thought of that, however, our floor plan is not large. We have a very long room, 13 x 27. We do have the perfect table though! I look forward to your ideas!
    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 4:15AM
Natasha Assa
@sguest35 I am attaching an ideabook titled "Divide and Conquer: how to furnish a long narrow room". While most of the illustrations are for larger homes and slightly different layouts, you might find the third one to be just the thing (except scale). As a side note I also have a 13x27 size room and know exactly what you are dealing with. It's not too big and working with scale is key.

Ideabook: Divide and Conquer: How to Furnish a Long, Narrow Room · See Ideabook
    Bookmark   Thanked by sguest35    January 9, 2014 at 4:22AM
Natasha Assa
Another suggestion to divide the space is to place a focal point at the opposite end from the entrance and throw a runner leading to it on the floor. Focal point can be a

#1 console with art or mirror above it
#2 credenza/hutch with tall narrow profile
#3 free standing artwork
#4 topiary/plant with light directed onto it
#5 free standing fireplace (for a craftsman appeal)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 4:45AM
Sustainable Dwellings
Love your pretty home! I do think it is a little busy with ( beautiful, by the way) furniture. You may want to re-locate a large piece or two..
    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 4:49AM
dezign interiors, llc
I would leave the DR beside the kitchen, where it belongs for functional purposes. Hanging a chandelier to ground the DR is a good idea. As far as the LR goes, instead of the commitment of a 1/2 wall, try floating a wall table as if it's a 1/2 wall, then place seating (preferably a sofa) in front of the table. Add a rug to ground the space as well. Make sure it's not too under scaled as it will make the space feel small. A bound piece of carpet, leaving about a foot of wood around the perimeter revealed, is a good rule-of-thumb. Good luck with you beautiful new home!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 5:05AM
dezign interiors, llc
This is what I was trying to describe:
Fieldcrest - Lake Highlands · More Info

Again ... good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by sguest35    January 9, 2014 at 5:11AM
sguest35
Sustainable Dwellings Thank you and you are so right! Too much furniture, not sure what stays and what goes. Here are a few pics of a table I think would make a good second half of the room. Now I need the proper chairs to make it comfy and LR like. I picture upholstered.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 7:13AM
sguest35
We'd love a fireplace but it means removing these windows and replacing with the craftsmen style, which would also give us more privacy. A costly reno. Was hoping the moving of the DR would solve this dilemma!

Arts & Crafts Tile Fireplace Showcase · More Info
]
Viewridge Craftsman Spec · More Info
]
Cape Cod- Victoria · More Info
]
    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 7:19AM
sguest35
Dezign Interiors, I will try moving the couch and finding a sofa table to play around with the arrangement. Thanks!
    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 7:19AM
Natasha Assa
You found a beautiful table. Pieces like these can serve as a visual divider between two zones of the room. As to fireplace, all I meant was that you might want to get a free standing one that you can plug in, if there is space on the wall across from the entrance. Then you can throw a runner leading to it and voila - you room is now divided! But in the absence of a fireplace this gorgeous table will just do the trick!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by sguest35    January 9, 2014 at 11:25AM
sguest35
Hi Everyone,
Here is an update on my LR furniture arrangement. Thanks for all of your suggestions. As you can see we have used the idea suggested by Dezign Interiors LLC- of putting the couch near the door to provide a dividing line. This created 2 distinct areas, a cozy sitting area and a chairs and table area.
Also we placed a small table - as suggested by Natasha Assa, and that did the trick! Tho my friends tease me about how many times we have rearranged the furniture, I think this arrangement is for long term. BTW- we are replacing the Ikea Poang chairs with new comfy reading chairs. (and we removed the wood screen).
Q now is what to paint the walls, arrange artwork, think about window treatments.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 5:46AM
sguest35
Sitting area with temporary chairs. I find it so hard to balance the old American style furnishings with the bright colors and world art pieces. Defining the feel and functionality for us and what our style is- was the most challenging.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 5:52AM
sguest35
Suggestions for paint colors please! This stone beige is too cold for me. Should I add an accent wall color?
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 5:53AM
Robert
Hmmm well your dining rooms looks small that is why it is important to keep the dining room neat & clean while taking out extravagant things from that room. Also adding chandelier will give the much required good look. Also if possible take out extra things from other rooms too, to retain the spacious look even in small space.
    Bookmark   Thanked by sguest35    January 19, 2014 at 6:13AM
sguest35
Sorry- forgot to mention that the DR stayed put (not shown)- next to the kitchen. Here we have an accent table that we use to play cards, have a cocktail, etc.
    Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 6:16AM
What colour should I paint this living/dining room?
We just purchased this home and will reno before we...
gone2country
Should we change our garage into a family room?
We need a family room. With 2 teenagers needing their...
manolla
Should I move or remove dining room wall to make more open?
My house is a bungalow in Charlotte NC with a separate...
kfx216
Should I turn my dining room into a second office?
I'm contemplating moving my dining room set into my...
kayakingkate
Front door...what color!
Hi. I want to paint the inside of my front door. We...
Kate
Is a kitchen marble sink a good idea? Please help!
Im thinking of doing an integrated marble sink in my...
emmalee21
Are body jets in a shower worth installing?
Remodelling our master bathroom and love the idea of...
Ange Clark
kitchen drawer slides
My pots and pans drawers are dragging and sticking...
patriciamathews40
Need help for blank wall in kitchen
I remodeled my kitchen and love it however I have...
penelope62