How can I mix French country with more contemporary without it looking
sunnyfelt
I have a break front in my dining room that I inherited (see photo) and I've always tried to decorate around it. I really like it, but if I was choosing a similar piece of furniture now, I would make a different choice. I love "Pottery Barn" style. The chairs in the window are from there. I wan
Nt to bring in some more colour and patterns. I would like to change the curtains and wall colour. Would love to hear any and all suggestions!
Liza Jane Interiors
Sunny, hi. How about painting the breakfront a fabulous color? Can really tell what colors are in your house by the photos other than red and yellow but check out the attached photo.
January 8, 2014 at 11:07am     
mpoulsom
Are your christmas decorations still up now? The reason I'm asking is because we could probably get a much clearer view of your room without them. Right now it looks like there is too much in the room, but it could be deceiving because of the decorations???

But I do think I would paint the walls a pale pretty blue....looks like you have some blues going on anyway in there. :)
January 8, 2014 at 11:19am     
mpoulsom
this bathroom wall color is what I'm thinking.........and you could paint your china cabinet blue as suggested above or off-white and distress it somewhat. You could also paint the inside of the upper cabinet a contrasting color.
January 8, 2014 at 11:34am     
Barbara Griffith Designs
I agree, paint the breakfront either black or expresso with a low gloss paint (use a deglosser first). Change the hardware to a more contemporary look (square(ish) satin nickle finish) and add a red trellis pattern wallpaper to the back wall of the piece. Use a matching fabric pattern for the dining chair seats. Your Pottery Barn chairs are great but why did you cover them??
January 8, 2014 at 11:34am     
Destiny by Design
I agree there is a lot going on in the room. I would recommend a lighter paint color through out the whole room, some curtains with a fun pattern and clearing a lot of the items out of the breakfront leaving just a few nice things. Don't be afraid to move out extra furniture too like small tables etc.
January 8, 2014 at 11:36am     
mpoulsom
here's another example of blue and white, having one accent wall in the blue. I think your room would be lovely all one color, but I see that you have an accent wall now, so maybe you would prefer that look. If this is the case you could carry your accent wall color into your curtains.
And yes, your pottery barn chairs are awesome! Just need to lose a few pillows!

Blue and pale buttery yellow are a pretty combination to consider as well!
January 8, 2014 at 11:51am   
mpoulsom
replace coffee table with trunk or ottoman...........a chandelier
January 8, 2014 at 11:59am   
Need help with my living room
Hi , we moved in our new house year ago ,I am still...
Re doing floors after a flood
We're going with the tile that looks like wood, very...
Reposting possible lighting layout
If anyone could please give an opinion on the attached...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...
Need help with color of front gates and front door
What color should I paint front gates and front door?...