Living Room... been working on it, would love some feedback

duckbergJanuary 8, 2014
I have a new sofa, LOVE IT, super comfy, just what I wanted to get cozy with my hubby. Removed some furniture, moved TV to shelves. Should I move the rug in the other direction? Lazy Boy will not be on it? Add a shelf above the TV? I have two more shelves not used. I know I need to move the wall hung lamps, could I use one for the sofa? I'm liking the room a bit more than before...
purehome
This looks great! You are on the right path. I would definitely consider adding the shelving above the TV- it will really complete the space!
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 1:29PM
alisonhduckworth
Thank you, what about rug in the different direction
    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 2:16PM
Michael Lee, Inc
Looks good the way you have it!
5 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 2:29PM
leelee
Yes, great job. The biggest difference was when you removed the little valances. The wall lights would be good to use somewhere if you could figure out how to hide the cords.

Consider painting your coffee table a color.

The rug is turned in the right direction.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 2:38PM
Studio NOO Design
Removing valences and moving furniture around really helped ! Congrats.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 3:15PM
oneofeleven
That is a lovely, cozy room. I agree with another shelf over the television. I'm not sure about the coffee table, it seems to drag things down. This would be a great spot to introduce some whimsy, something I think every room needs.
Steve Silver Bosco 36 Inch Round Faux Marble Cocktail Table w/ Casters · More Info

Parisian Fabric Coffee Table · More Info

Cassem Clock Table · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 4:18PM
m3459
Would your gate-leg coffee table fit between under the television between the two chairs? Just an idea to give that seating arrangement some more "cozy". Of course, I now have no solution for what might make a coffee table for your sofa ;-D Are there two of those ottomans perhaps?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 5:16PM
alisonhduckworth
Only one ottoman. Would this look a bit better.... Still thinking of shelves. But I am liking the room more and more. Not to mention, that my sofa so sooooo comfortable!
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 7:07PM
led625
Nice and cozy. I suggest you add some color, mirror tiles or wallpaper on the bookcase walls to make it pop. I'd leave the area where the tv is plain.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 9:27PM
manon13
Yes better in the last picture although it would be good to see the full bookcase. Could you lift the shelf above the tv a tiny bit. It looks a bit compressed.

Other than this the room looks great. The only other change I would make is really the coffee table which does not fit well. Maybe you could stain it and/or remove the leaves? The closed sides detract from the sense of comfort that you get from the whole room....
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 11:07PM
goodcooker
I think the room needs some greenery like a large tropical plant. Try putting the honey coloured stand sideways, on the other side of the chair where the basket is, and put a large plant in the area where the stand was.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by duckberg    January 12, 2014 at 8:46AM
alisonhduckworth
I was thinking of a floor plant. I will try some out. I do have a couple of larger ones, my house is awesome for plants, always makes my friends envy me.
    Bookmark   Thanked by duckberg    January 13, 2014 at 4:58AM
duckberg
How are these changes looking.... is plant to big?
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 6:58AM
SoCal Contractor
I would consider adding a little bit more splash of color since the red pillows are not pulling their weight enough. Like it was said in a previous comment, maybe changing the color on the coffee table? you have tons of natural light, which is great so you are almost there.
    Bookmark   Thanked by duckberg    January 13, 2014 at 7:07AM
duckberg
I'm was thinking of painting the legs of coffee tale and small table between the chairs, just the legs on both (spent a lot of time strippng the coffee table top) how about the red color for legs??
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 7:49AM
duckberg
I want to upgrade my lamp shades too.... was considering covering them with fabric.... any ideas would be appreciated.
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 8:04AM
maureenroth
I think you've done a great job so far. The thing that bothers me the most is the color of the shelving. I'd like to see it painted out because it feels 'top heavy' to me since there is nothing weighty below to balance it out. Also I think the wood is competing with the wood on the table under it.
    Bookmark   Thanked by duckberg    January 13, 2014 at 8:12AM
duckberg
what about the shelving wall a darker color, and still leave the natural cherry wood. I don't think I can convince my Hubby to paint them....
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 8:15AM
maureenroth
Maybe you could stain or glaze them a lighter color?
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 8:17AM
maureenroth
Did your hubby build them?
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 8:18AM
maureenroth
If they extended all the way down (put books on the bottom, not too much clutter) then that may work.
    Bookmark   Thanked by duckberg    January 13, 2014 at 8:19AM
duckberg
I hear you Maureen.... will think on it.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 8:39AM
goodcooker
Replace the cherry table in front of the TV with the honey coloured one by the plant, it will match the trim of the bookshelves better. The plant is not too big, actually, I would prefer a taller one. Also, either paint the whole table or leave it as is.
    Bookmark   Thanked by duckberg    January 13, 2014 at 9:26AM
duckberg
will do when I get home... thanks for the suggestion Good Cooker
    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 9:30AM
dzinejunkie
Your room is gorgeous.. I would leave the tables the way they are,it seems to balance out the different woods that you have in the room.
It would look nice if you had a dark red glass bowl for you coffee table,then put your tulips on the shelf above the TV on the right..move the plant that is there to the top right spot on your shelf and tuck the lamp in behind that one chair...
I wish I had a living room that size... What a difference removing the valances made!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 10:12PM
duckberg
Here are two pictures with the tables swapped... once things are fine tuned, the wires from TV will be tucked away. I had a thought, some sort of red box to store remote controls, which would be on coffee table.. Thanks everyone for such great feedback. I really enjoy this web site
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 7:27AM
goodcooker
I think the changes make a big difference, I hope you are pleased. One more little suggestion, I find the flowers on the stand below the TV distracting, something flatter like a couple of books or magazines if an empty surface bothers you. Yes, a reddish box on the coffee table for the remotes, etc would be nice. You have a lovely bright, comfortable room ... enjoy!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by duckberg    January 14, 2014 at 1:29PM
duckberg
I agree about the flowers.... got them for my birthday yesterday! I'll move them to another spot to enjoy. Having a group of ladies over tomorrow, looking forward to their comments. We have had fun in the past rearranging furniture after dinner and wine. My husband just shakes his head... but we have lots of laughs.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 1:41PM
LB Interiors
Room is really nice with your great changes. I absolutely love your view from the windows! Just a couple of tweaks. I think I'd like the small dropleaf table 'opened' between the two chairs in front of the fireplace. Nothing high or too much color on top. I like that table color there. Bring the table forward to use for setting a coffee cup, half way between the depth of the chairs to connect the pieces.
I like the round queen anne table next to the lazyboy and the table lamp.
I like the shelf above the TV.
I love the tall plant in the corner. It simplifies the space.
I would remove any floor baskets. If you need the items, maybe a storage end table on the left side of the sofa. Place a lamp on top. An end table no higher than the sofa arm height.
I wouldn't paint any of the tables.
Add a third color to the mix. Maybe royal blue, turquoise or aqua in a few pillows and accessories. Sprinkle colors on the shelves also.
I would not put anything on the small walls at the right of the sofa (no art) or by the plant.
Maybe at some later date, more colorful artwork and could go larger sizes. I would place them on each perpendicular wall of the TV unit. Two the same size and complementing each other. Art nowhere else in the room.
Maybe paint the wall below the TV, the red color found in the pillows. Needs some weight.
You've done a great job. It is all a building process.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 2:24PM
debhall
Can't wait to see the changes and test out that new sofa. :)
    Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 6:09PM
alisonhduckworth
I started another advice posting, attached a photo of this room with a red rug and asking for advice on. Coffee table. If you have a chance can you look please.
    Bookmark   January 23, 2015 at 4:55AM
Turning my Living Room into a Dining Room Would love some ideas
When you walk in the front door I have a entry way....
sl550
Basement Apartment - Would love feedback/critique
My wife and I just recently finished converting our...
Jack Calderone
Need feedback on a living room project
I wanted to lighten up the living room and make it...
n0112388
General feedback on Dining Room
Hi All, I thought I'd share my dining room for general...
Frank Bright
Living room feedback!!!
Hello! Thanks to all who've helped me put my living...
A D
upstairs game room
I am attaching pictures of our game room- it is essentially...
kklembara
Floor Plan Dilemma
As you see in the floor plan below, there are decent...
john2525
Appliance dilemma
I currently have Viking appliances that are about 10...
luvbeautifulthings
window casings
I'm renovating a 19 eighties Florida House. if you're...
hollins908
Backsplash blunder
My friend just had her kitchen remodeled. She has exceeded...
justinmudder