Tv placement dilemma
Naomi
I would like to make the tv corner a little less tv dominated. I am considering artwork behind, switching the taller bookshelf with a lower one currently in a corner next to the couch, or even moving the tv to another spot. Our room is challenging because there is very little wall space and lots of openings and windows.
Naomi
Here is the shorter, wider shelf I could swap in.
0 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 2:36PM
Naomi
And here are a few more views of the room plus a shot of the little sitting area off of it.
0 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 2:47PM
I'd move the TV to the right of the triple window. Personally, I'd want to have the large sofa face the window with its back to the foyer and the small one "L" with it floating in front of the low pony walls into the "reading room." Cut the bottoms of of plastic milk or juice jugs if you want some sliders so you can try out this arrangement. Post the change by commenting and using the Attach Images button below to add new pix.
0 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 2:50PM
katypaints
Hi! You didn't mention how much work you wanted to invest....:) From the photos you posted you definitely have a lot of large openings. I don't know if you can let go of the open concept by closing one area by a few feet. I believe if you could close the opening to the foyer to fit a single atrium door, you keep the wind, cool weather, etc in the foyer and create a little more intimacy in the living room as well as making room for an armoire to put the tv in on a swivel base with storage below for books or tapes or stereo. Sorry I can't tell how deep the space is from the half wall back to corner. Hope this helps....
0 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 3:02PM
Naomi
Here is the view to the sitting area. I don't think I'm up for adding walls. Just want to move furniture for now.

I like the idea of facing the couch in and floating the small couch near the sitting area but am not sure about putting the tv in the corner near the dining area. Could it possibly go in front of the window on the lower shelf or would that be awful?
0 Likes   January 8, 2014 at 3:12PM
I see what you mean about the DR - you didn't show it to us in your first post. In that case, the wall where the tall barrister-style bookcase is looks like it is a bit wider. How about putting TV there? With all the shelving units you have a lot of casegoods in your space, and they are limiting what you can do in an open concept home. I count five of them that I can see, so I'm wondering if the dining room might convert to a library and the sitting/reading room to the DR (if you only use it occasionally.) Is there, by any chance, a hall closet partially behind that wall where the tall double barrister-looking bookcase is? If so, you might simply mount the TV on a swing arm swivel and put the gear in the closet behind. Professional installers often do that. This would eliminate the piece of casegoods the TV is on. I would budget to have the two pony walls re-done as tall bookcase units so you could eliminate some of the excess furniture. I might also add a similar pair of architectural features on the dining room side of the room. That would certainly help with book storage, but allow for better furniture arranging. Pine Lake #1 Hickory Lane
1 Like   January 8, 2014 at 8:11PM
Clay Aragon
But your kids and your dog seem happy having the TV there, that in itself is worth keeping the TV where it is ;-)

Another less expensive idea than adding or knocking down walls is a TV lift cabinet. When not in use the TV disappears. I have it and works great. http://www.tvliftcabinet.com/plasma-tv-lift

Another cheap fix simply remove the white fabric apron on the case good. Eyes will be less drawn to the TV.

Best of luck!
1 Like   January 8, 2014 at 8:39PM
Naomi
I love the idea of doing some built ins! And I have removed the white curtain -- I actually saw that it was drawing attention after I looked at the pictures and had taken it down ahead of your comment. You are right. It looks a little better already. I will try to post a pic later when I am back at home.
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 5:44AM
Naomi
Better without the curtain?
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 9:28AM
yoboseiyo
you know, even if you just made the space above the pony walls open shelving it would help.

you could put some of your more decorative pieces in there, and it might help you shuffle things around, and you could eliminate a bookcase maybe.
0 Likes   Thanked by Naomi    January 9, 2014 at 9:51AM
Naomi
I like that idea. I don't know if we'd be able to get rid of a bookcase unless we did use the shelves for books, though. My husband and I own A LOT of books. We have another bookcase in our bedroom and my two sons have several bookshelves in their shared bedroom. We do have a guest room that I am considering moving some shelves too, however.

If we got rid of some, which bookcases would you "eliminate"?
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 10:07AM
katypaints
I would get rid of the large one and put the tv in that corner, swing the loveseat to the opposite end of rug, hard to tell if room for it, so maybe put the love seat in another space and put a chair there instead. I see you have a lot of books but you can intermingle a vase or some decorative objects so it takes on an appealing role too!
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 10:42AM
Why not consider a library/guestroom? How many books would be left if all the paperbacks went to the bedroom? That might be more manageable and easier to decorate around until you can do the built-ins.
94 Harvard Sq Historic Schoolhouse Loft
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 10:49AM
Naomi
I am going to have a look at the guest room when I get home. I think I could at least move that one large bookshelf in there. Possibly one of the smaller ones as well if it made sense with what we want in the living/dining space.

Does the current furniture for the TV work or should I use that lower bookshelf or buy something else for it?
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 10:59AM
Naomi
Also open to replacing the love seat. I could swap it with one of the chairs in the front reading area -- I have done that before. I am also open to buying something (inexpensive).
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 11:03AM
soozmacrae
A lower smaller tv unit that just held the tv and nothing else. No books or dvds stored around it. Also there are an awful lot of books and storage units in this room, can you put them somewhere else. It would give the room some breathing space and enable the eye to rest.
0 Likes   Thanked by Naomi    January 9, 2014 at 11:08AM
Naomi
Yes, I can move some to the guest room upstairs. We already have a bunch of additional books on shelves in the basement as well if you can believe it!
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 11:13AM
Naomi
Ok. Tried a rearrange using your suggestions as best I could. Better? Anything I should change?
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 2:29PM
Naomi
Two more views of new arrangements.
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 2:30PM
katypaints
I like that a lot and both rooms are tied together mixing the pieces....good job!
1 Like   Thanked by Naomi    January 9, 2014 at 2:34PM
katypaints
Opens up the dining room nicely too!
1 Like   Thanked by Naomi    January 9, 2014 at 2:36PM
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
In a design project, I had a TV cabinet built to surround a gas fireplace, adding display shelves, etc. When closed, the eye takes in the fireplace and display of the owner's collectibles. When open, you're set to go with TV. This same concept can be found in furniture made to house a TV.

Naomi, as you mention being open to replacing certain furniture, you can figure out the budget you're willing to allocate. I think that for a price similar to replacing a love seat, you could get a cabinet that would house your TV and all the associated "stuff". When you do not want to see the TV set, simply close the cabinet doors. Typically, they slide out of sight at the sides behind the TV for easy viewing.
1 Like   Thanked by Naomi    January 9, 2014 at 2:39PM
Naomi
Awesome. I am so grateful for everyone's ideas. Feels much more put together and at least I can't see the tv from every angle. Will work on tv furniture/corner. Any further ideas on that would be wonderful.
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 2:56PM
katypaints
It looks like the corner was made for the tv! There are corner armoires out there too for an investment between $300-$900...maybe find one on craigs list in your area...or sale at furniture store, of course you can get a carpenter in there to enclose it for maybe same $$...
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 3:16PM
MarleneM
I was going to suggest moving TV to that corner, then when I kept reading you had done it. Looks a lot better! I have this TV console, made to fit into corner, and really like it. All DVD's are in baskets behind doors.

0 Likes   Thanked by Naomi    January 9, 2014 at 3:41PM
katypaints
There is no good tv like a hidden tv, changes a room in an instant. I am still amazed todays fashion is to put a tv over the fireplace wide open....sorry but yuck. Yes, takes care of both focal point issues but..........
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 3:55PM
Naomi
I like that corner stand - just the right color with our other furniture too.

I totally agree on the hidden tv! I was angling to buy a smaller one and try to totally tuck it away somewhere, but I was outvoted by the 3 males I live with. *sigh*

Still hoping to banish the boys and their wii system to the basement with our old tv, but making the basement a usable hangout space is a whole other house project!
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 5:44PM
Ah Ha! You have a basement - perfect place for a library and that will open much of the upstairs living area to live in! Just keep one nice bookshelf for your special books upstairs.
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 7:32PM
TV Placement dilemma
Hi We need some idea on where to put our 42" flatscreen...
wjennifer
Classic conundrum: TV Placement Dilemma
We are building a house and are trying to decide where...
ebrum
Newbie with family room furniture/tv placement dilemma
We are renovating our kitchen and adjoining family...
SM
What kind of furniture and placement? Tv placement
Buying new home, need new furniture for this room....
jemma2009
how can i mix shabby chic with rustic style?
i want to design a complete house with this 2 style...
rastgar
Home Office / Guest-room Decorating Dilemma
I am stumped at what to do with the wall over the futon...
colmnewhouse
Best part of living in the Pacific Northwest?
Do you or have you lived in the Pacific Northwest?...
need and accent chair
We only have a couch and loveseat and cannot find a...
shannongr
rredpenn