Firewood Storage
Stephen Thomson
Does anyone have a solution to the problem of how to store firewood so it is easily accessible to load into the firebox, looks nicely presented in the living room yet (and here is the tricky part) doesn't have to be moved in a separate box/basket to get from the woodshed to this indoor location?
carolins
A magic wand?

Or something on wheels? If you're willing to store a good stash of firewood in your home, you don't have to do too many trips on one evening between the home and the woodshed.

January 9, 2014 at 2:45am     
carolins
...
January 9, 2014 at 2:50am     
carolins
Okay, this is my last suggestion:

January 9, 2014 at 3:05am     
chookchook2
We live in a timber area, and all the hardware stores sell wood trolleys.
January 9, 2014 at 3:07am     
chookchook2
If on a tight budget, try an old pram.
January 9, 2014 at 3:08am   
Stephen Thomson
I do like the suggestions so far (especially the magic wand) but I guess my thoughts were around locating a woodshed that you load at one end (exterior of the building) and consume from the other end which is perhaps accessible from your living space via a hatch/door right near the firebox. Was wondering if anyone had incorporated anything like this into their design, particularly as woodburners seem to be coming more and more popular as a eco friendly way to heat new builds.
January 9, 2014 at 11:15am   
carolins
Consider all the little animals that love to seek shelter in a the wood in a woodshed. I personally wouldn't want a direct connection, not even one that is closed of by a door.
January 9, 2014 at 11:33am     
PirateFoxy
Second what carolins said - my aunt uses a wood stove and even with bringing stuff in rather than keeping a lot in the house, she still has more trouble with random Wildlife (mostly insects) that hitches a ride in on the wood. I suspect with direct woodshed access you might as well just install a 'vacancy' sign for anything small enough to fit between stacked wood.
January 9, 2014 at 6:04pm     
mfwolfe
My father in law who built his own house from scratch by himself had such a device. The woodshed, which was about 4 feet by 4 feet by 4 feet was attached to the house. There was a door on it that opened into the room where the fireplace was. The top of the woodshed opened upwards and the wood was dumped in. He would fill it about twice a month in the winter. It was tight to the ground...don't remember how maybe a foundation or something so of course there were spiders and crickets but never anything bigger.
January 9, 2014 at 8:23pm     
handymam
We saw a home years ago that had a space built into the fireplace for the stack of wood. Outside, there was a metal door that was an access to the back of that space. I suppose that could work with an attached woodshed as well.
January 9, 2014 at 9:28pm     
SoCal Contractor
I just came across this one
January 9, 2014 at 10:13pm   
SoCal Contractor
oops, here it is
January 9, 2014 at 10:13pm     
studio10001
Stephen , yes! It was not a modern build, but a 17th century farmhouse; the addition was a cold storage room for root veg. and firewood, off the kitchen. It provided great insulation when full, as well as convenience - everything old is new again. :)
January 9, 2014 at 10:22pm     
okdokegal
We have black widows rampant... it takes literally inspecting the wood and having a whisk broom handy to de-bug it before putting it in the canvas sling carrier and bringing it in. I've had to go to splitting my wood up a bit thinner to fire my RMH, that has helped too. Neighbor across chunks up and sells firewood, I can get the smaller diameter stuff he can't normally sell very cheaply off him now to fire with; and he has a splitter and has run some of my old 3/4 cord for me. One sling of wood lasts a good 4x of what it used to, so storing inside isn't nearly the issue it used to be.
January 9, 2014 at 10:56pm     
Need help Choosing a Red Paint Color for my Living Room
We moved into a new home with a red living room. I...
Need help with my kitchen
We just bought a 1925 Craftsman style bungalow. The...
looking for exterior paint matching the trees
Hi, Present it was suggested for white and grey for...
Need help to finish my guest room.
I fell in love with this comforter and have decorated...
Need to update my living room
When we moved into our house 13 years ago, I had a...