Firewood Storage
Stephen Thomson
Does anyone have a solution to the problem of how to store firewood so it is easily accessible to load into the firebox, looks nicely presented in the living room yet (and here is the tricky part) doesn't have to be moved in a separate box/basket to get from the woodshed to this indoor location?
carolins
A magic wand?

Or something on wheels? If you're willing to store a good stash of firewood in your home, you don't have to do too many trips on one evening between the home and the woodshed.

2 Likes    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 2:45AM
carolins
...
1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 2:50AM
carolins
Okay, this is my last suggestion:

1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 3:05AM
chookchook2
We live in a timber area, and all the hardware stores sell wood trolleys.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 3:07AM
chookchook2
If on a tight budget, try an old pram.
    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 3:08AM
Stephen Thomson
I do like the suggestions so far (especially the magic wand) but I guess my thoughts were around locating a woodshed that you load at one end (exterior of the building) and consume from the other end which is perhaps accessible from your living space via a hatch/door right near the firebox. Was wondering if anyone had incorporated anything like this into their design, particularly as woodburners seem to be coming more and more popular as a eco friendly way to heat new builds.
    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 11:15AM
carolins
Consider all the little animals that love to seek shelter in a the wood in a woodshed. I personally wouldn't want a direct connection, not even one that is closed of by a door.
4 Likes    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 11:33AM
PirateFoxy
Second what carolins said - my aunt uses a wood stove and even with bringing stuff in rather than keeping a lot in the house, she still has more trouble with random Wildlife (mostly insects) that hitches a ride in on the wood. I suspect with direct woodshed access you might as well just install a 'vacancy' sign for anything small enough to fit between stacked wood.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 6:04PM
mfwolfe
My father in law who built his own house from scratch by himself had such a device. The woodshed, which was about 4 feet by 4 feet by 4 feet was attached to the house. There was a door on it that opened into the room where the fireplace was. The top of the woodshed opened upwards and the wood was dumped in. He would fill it about twice a month in the winter. It was tight to the ground...don't remember how maybe a foundation or something so of course there were spiders and crickets but never anything bigger.
3 Likes    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 8:23PM
handymam
We saw a home years ago that had a space built into the fireplace for the stack of wood. Outside, there was a metal door that was an access to the back of that space. I suppose that could work with an attached woodshed as well.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 9:28PM
SoCal Contractor
I just came across this one
    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 10:13PM
SoCal Contractor
oops, here it is
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 10:13PM
studio10001
Stephen , yes! It was not a modern build, but a 17th century farmhouse; the addition was a cold storage room for root veg. and firewood, off the kitchen. It provided great insulation when full, as well as convenience - everything old is new again. :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 10:22PM
okdokegal
We have black widows rampant... it takes literally inspecting the wood and having a whisk broom handy to de-bug it before putting it in the canvas sling carrier and bringing it in. I've had to go to splitting my wood up a bit thinner to fire my RMH, that has helped too. Neighbor across chunks up and sells firewood, I can get the smaller diameter stuff he can't normally sell very cheaply off him now to fire with; and he has a splitter and has run some of my old 3/4 cord for me. One sling of wood lasts a good 4x of what it used to, so storing inside isn't nearly the issue it used to be.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 10:56PM
Please help....Fireplace mantle ideas with offset ceiling beams
How do I keep everything symmetrical in this room with...
Jeanette May
Modern fireplace mantel / surround for wood stove
I need ideas for modern fireplace mantel / surround...
dowdowburns
Thoughts on fireplace
As you can see Progress is happening. Tv will be mounted...
jakesparents1
Brick fireplace update/facelift
One entire wall of my tv/family room is dominated by...
Debbie Lennon
Fireplace Dilemma??? Can I make this look more Spanish??
Can you suggest an idea of how to turn this fireplace...
ssteere
Coffee table , end table
Hi all, looking to get new tables any suggestions?...
rosa16ny
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker
color flow.
would like to paint the living room dining room combo...
Jeanette
Shop
My husband and I want to have a shop built that we...
movinover
Kitchen Paint Help
Need help with the wall color for a kitchen, great...
jewhitt