Is a Shaker Style the best choice for a modern look?
Linda Jones
We're having cabinets custom-made for our kitchen. They're going to be cherry, in a medium tone. I originally wanted a Shaker look, because I like a sleek minimal look, but then I second-guessed myself because the Shaker is cheaper to buy than the raised panel, so I was afraid it would look cheap. But now I'm afraid I should have stuck with the Shaker look. I want my kitchen to look modern, and if the raised panel makes it look traditional, that will make me unhappy. I need to give the go-ahead to the cabinet maker tomorrow morning. Help!
Linda Jones
These are generic photos of the raised and flat panel doors--the custom doors would be similar.
January 9, 2014 at 3:18AM   
carolins
Shaker style gets my vote.
January 9, 2014 at 3:22AM     
indianpatti
Yes, I like the Shaker style better for a modern look.
January 9, 2014 at 3:37AM   
chookchook2
For a more modern look, get plain, no detailing. Also easier to clean.
January 9, 2014 at 4:03AM     
Linda Jones
So....the Shaker style isn't going to look low budget?
January 9, 2014 at 4:12AM   
chookchook2
Shaker design is very old, and traditional. I like it, but in others houses, cause I don't like cleaning gunk out of right angle corners.
January 9, 2014 at 4:15AM   
In many cabinet lines the Shaker style is actually the more expensive option. Definitely if you want a more modern look go with either Shaker or flat panel. Raised panel looks very traditional.
January 9, 2014 at 4:18AM        Thanked by Linda Jones
January 9, 2014 at 4:21AM   
Linda Jones
Yes, Shaker is old, but definitely not traditional. Is there any other kind of flat panel besides Shaker and slab? Because I don't want slab, I think that's a wee tad too basic.
January 9, 2014 at 4:22AM   
January 9, 2014 at 4:25AM     
MS Colours Inc
If you want a contempory look do a shaker style but use rift sawn oak and have them finished like fumed or cerused oak.
January 9, 2014 at 4:26AM     
Linda Jones
chookchhok2, thanks for the photo. That looks sort of European to me, a bit starker than what I'm going for. So compared to that, I guess you could say Shaker is more traditional.
January 9, 2014 at 4:27AM   
indianpatti
Shaker used to be the inexpensive option until it became so popular! The more detail a cabinet has, the less modern it looks.
January 9, 2014 at 4:27AM     
anniau
Shaker style the best choice hands down
January 9, 2014 at 4:28AM   
Linda Jones
wow, MS Colours, you're making me get an education in wood, never a bad thing. However, we are not wealthy and we live in the middle of nowhere, so even if we could afford rift sawn oak, we don't have anywhere around here to acquire such a thing. I'm sure it would be lovely, though.
January 9, 2014 at 4:32AM   
Linda Jones
chookchook2, slide-2 is very interesting. Still too sterile for me, though. The great thing is it confirms me in my choice of Shaker vs slab.
January 9, 2014 at 4:37AM   
Sustainable Dwellings
I personally like the straight shaker style doors. ( I chose Knotty Alder- so beautiful). The raised panel doors are very dated. The golden oak age is long over, even though Oak is still very pretty....Cherry and Hickory are very pretty also.
January 9, 2014 at 4:42AM     
stanleychou
Shaker looks more modern, but I suggest you go with a lighter color.
January 9, 2014 at 4:42AM     
The nice thing about Shaker is that it can look either modern or classic depending on the hardware you choose and other details of the kitchen. I think that is one of the things that has made the design so lasting.
January 9, 2014 at 4:53AM     
Linda Jones
Yes, and finding the perfect hardware is going to be a challenge. But I think the main thing is, the sleeker and simpler, the better.
January 9, 2014 at 5:02AM   
Linda Jones
chookchook2, I love the latest link, but I wouldn't want to live there. So stark!
January 9, 2014 at 5:05AM   
Linda Jones
stanleychou, I agree, the color in the photo is too dark. We're planning on a medium tone.
January 9, 2014 at 5:08AM   
smileyface2013
If you still aren't sure, let me confirm what everyone else has said. Shaker, not raised panel! :) It will be beautiful. If you aren't sure about hardware, do a search on this site for photos of "shaker cabinets cherry" -- you'll see tons of beautiful examples and what types of hardware they've used.
January 9, 2014 at 5:17AM        Thanked by Linda Jones
Linda Jones
We ordered the Shaker cabinets in cherry and they'll be done in 2 weeks. Still haven't settled on hardware. I want a sleek look, but I don't want it to look like a hospital or warehouse.
January 19, 2014 at 6:51AM     
January 19, 2014 at 7:02AM      Thanked by Linda Jones
carolins
Keep in mind the finish of the faucets and light fixtures when choosing cabinet hardware.
I don't mean that everything has to match perfectly, but they do have to work together.
January 19, 2014 at 7:06AM   
Linda Jones
Sure, it's all going to be brushed nickel. It's always been my favorite and thankfully it's popular right now, so lots of choices.
January 19, 2014 at 7:11AM     
Linda Jones
My husband likes the one in the Cedar Lake photo, but I prefer the Hale Aina choice. We still have a couple of weeks for one of us to come around to the other's viewpoint. I also like the one in the Marietta Kitchen. Truth be told, I think any of those three would look great.
January 19, 2014 at 7:15AM     
carolins
What will probably help you make your choice is to feel them. Some handle better than others. And think about where they will go on the cabinet fronts. Do you have an overhang on your countertop then take into consideration that you need space for your fingers to grab the pull. Do you want them all horizontal, do you need to mix horizontal and vertical, do you need knobs for particular drawers that maybe can't take a wider pull.
Really think about where pulls will go on the different cabinet fronts :-)
January 19, 2014 at 7:21AM      Thanked by Linda Jones
Linda Jones
Ah, good point. I have an old-fashioned cabinet maker who doesn't provide a drawing, so I won't know precisely what it all looks like till it's put up. But I believe there's only one unit that will be narrow--a pull-out spice rack. All the rest of the doors and drawers will be plenty wide enough for 5-6" pulls. I don't care for knobs, just a personal preference.
January 19, 2014 at 7:34AM   
Decorate this wall...
Hey guys, I need some ideas to liven up this wall....
POLL: Waterbeds - Yay or No Way?
How do you feel about water beds? I don't see many...
what counter do you like more? darker or lighter?
monochrome kitchen w/ london grey ceaserstone and white...
I need reupholstering advice
We have an old victorian aged row house that is decorated...