Wearing wood floor
etobia1
I have a prefinished wood floor throughout my home with a semi- open floor plan. It is taking a beating in the kitchen area work space. It needs to be refinished in this area but it seems I have to refinish the entire first floor so it matches throughout. Do I have any other options? I don't have a good break point to separate this space so to change the material would interrupt the flow and chop the space.
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I would talk to several wood flooring refinish contractors to get their opinion.
1 Like   January 12, 2014 at 3:56AM
Steve Grimes
I have the same problem, a section damaged by high heel marks in my kitchen in front of our coffee maker. I had a flooring installer give me a quote for replacing _just_ the flooring in a specific area of the kitchen. The installer confirmed the flooring manufacturer and color. He would pull up the old and lay the new flooring.
   January 12, 2014 at 7:27AM
etobia1
I have talked to a few contractors. Most suggest doing the entire first floor, that is a big messy job. I was trying to think outside the box at some creative solutions...any ideas??
   January 14, 2014 at 4:32AM
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Given the choice between mismatched materials or a floor finish that might not be perfectly matched but with the same wood floors throughout, I would choose to match the flooring and to just refinish the new wood.

This might not match perfectly but in the future you can refinish the entire floor. You will have the same floor material throughout, and this is the best way to go in the long run....

Hopefully you can find a flooring contractor who is willing to do the job....
   January 14, 2014 at 5:01AM
Help ! 3 solid oak vanities in new house!
Three bathroom in new house all with solid oak vanities....
Two different floors in one room!
Just bought a new house and the downstairs floor is...
Need help w/ finishing touches in our dining room!!! Help!!
Looking for suggestions on a mirror over the buffet...
Edgecomb Gray too light for walls?
Here's Edgecomb Gray sample on walls. Too light I think....