Kitchen design help
sueper13
January 9, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Help! We have chosen our house plans but we agree we want to modify this kitchen. Do not like the peninsula, prefer a large island. Mountain view is off to the left side of the house, want to add windows on that wall. Ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sueper13
Also, formal dining room will be an office/library instead.
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 7:17AM
PRO
APK Designs LLC
In general terms, I would end the peninsula where the Family wall ends. I'd lose "Country Kitchen" and add a large island there for storage and plenty of seating (at least 1 side to contain storage access), keep the pantry, but take down the higher cabinets adjacent to it to open wall for mountain view.
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 7:28AM
Maria Smith
Huge undertaking and it is going to be beautiful. Truly think that you need to completely change kitchen to get those mountain views, do not settle until you do. Since the space is already defined, look at it from a completely different perspective. What do you want to see from these perspectives: when you are at the sink, when you are dining, when you are socializing with friends, when you come up from the stairs into the space? Then move things around so you get as much as you want from this list. Will there be a dining table in this kitchen now? Would like to see rt wall to fireplace for plans.

As it is now, your kitchen is going to be fairly dark and your guests at the island/peninsula will be looking into a wall v. out to the social area or view. Will think about this and come back with more.
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 7:31AM
PRO
Dytecture
Removing the angled wall in the kitchen and create an island for more open feel.
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 8:22AM
Maria Smith
Could you post the family room side of the plans? I am trying to get a sense of flow. Would you enter your home from the front door "entry"? I am imagining coming into the home with groceries, handbag, cell phone and having to schlep around that peninsula. I am also imagining what the focal point will be when guests enter the space from the entry. I looked at your ideabooks and see what you are trying to achieve. Are you absolutely firm on the plans and only wanting to switch the kitchen?
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 10:09AM