Master bedroom wall color help
yugituna
My wife and I are FINALLY getting to painting the master bedroom after almost 2 years of living here. We actually just got a bed last month! We've been sleeping on our mattress on the ground since we moved in. LOL

We just painted 3 walls in a nice light "Silver Marlin" by Behr grey/silver. I am now stumped on what color to paint the wall behind the headboard. We were just going to do the same silver/grey and then add lots of color with cushions, paintings and curtains. However, now after finishing painting 3 walls, the grey just seems overwhelming. Maybe its just because there is no decor yet in the bedroom. Any thoughts?

The style we are going for is a rustic/modern/posh look.... if that makes sense.

btw, carpets will be coming out soon and we will be putting in wood flooring.
yugituna
oh , also, those hideous light fixures will be going away NEXT!
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 3:14PM
Jorden Tapia
I say go with gray
2 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 3:15PM
CDR Design
Is this your color?

I would need more photos of the room, but, in general, I don't suggest an accent wall unless the space is huge.

There is plenty of opportunity to add internets in a rug, drapes, pillows, art, etc.

Your headboard appears brown in the photo you posted. Is it?

]
3 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 3:19PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I'm not a fan of accent walls. Keep the gray......adding all the accessories and furnishings will make it less overwhelming.
6 Likes   Thanked by yugituna    January 9, 2014 at 5:07PM
yugituna
wow! thanks for the mock up! I love doing that. I do it in photoshop all the time :) color in the decor items make a huge difference. Ill prob just keep the grey... plus i have have tons of paint left! :) thanks again!
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 6:10PM
yugituna
@CDR Design, oh also, the headboard is a dark grey. It's the Lesley Bed from Macys. My picture came out a bit dark. The grey wall is lighter and more like the sample you posted.
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 6:11PM
Ann
I like the gray. I'd continue it.
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 7:29PM
Design Theory Inc.
I would continue with the color that you have on the wall behind the bed right now. Your room has a faulted ceiling and although I am a huge fan of accent walls sometimes they take away versus adding to a room. If the gray is overwhelming break it up with some interesting black-and-white photos framed with a large white mat and a basic or standard gallery frame. Remember, make it interesting use a mixture of sizes and shapes create gallery groupings.
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 7:44PM
Please center the bed with the windows. Continue the same gray, but three shades darker for the bed wall would be my choice.
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 7:44PM
Design Theory Inc.
Correcting the typo "vaulted ceiling."
0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 7:45PM
decoratingdilemma
Your silver marlin seems similar to metropolitan grey by Benjamin Moore. We painted our room in the reverse. Metropolitan Grey on three walls and Gentle Cream by Ben Moore; behind the headboard wall. Gentle Cream behind your headboard may work. The grey and the cream is so sophistocated, modern and posh. We painted our cathedral ceiling Horizon gray by Ben Moore. I am not a fan of high ceilings, the Horizon grey visually lowered the ceiling.
1 Like   January 9, 2014 at 7:56PM
pcmom1
Post more pictures of the whole room from different angles and we can help with accessories.

0 Likes   January 9, 2014 at 8:04PM
CDR Design
Please do not paint an accent wall. It just chops up the space for no reason. I would paint your ceiling the same color. It will look great. If that scares you, half the paint with white and paint it.
1 Like   January 10, 2014 at 3:26AM
I prefer accent walls be unbroken by windows or doors. You've got a good start on creating a jewel box of a room, once you finish the gray and find the right kind of bling, drapes and art.
1 Like   January 10, 2014 at 5:12AM
cltaylor11
Do you have the bedding picked out already? Maybe you can pull ideas from there. Another idea: wallpaper that is same color with a tone on tone graphic
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 7:13AM
cltaylor11
Example
0 Likes   Thanked by yugituna    January 10, 2014 at 7:23AM
yugituna
thanks everyone for your comments! we are going to continue the gray and add lots of color with other items.

@Darzy - we will center the bed. the people that delivered and installed it put it like that because of the wall light fixtures. those are going away for sure and we will center the bed then.
2 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 9:29PM
CDR Design
You might want to think about your lamps. Are those lamps that are there now hard-wired or are they simply mounted on the wall and plugged in below.

The reason I ask is that you should think about where you will place your lamps. If you have a box right there, you could simply have the boxes moved. You can get a a much lower profile light.
0 Likes   Thanked by yugituna    January 11, 2014 at 3:50AM
kimjesson
I would not accent that wall because it is vaulted....I would center the bed between the windows....put some great window treatments on..each pulled to the opposite side as the other to highlight the headboard.....get some great colors in the room...with pillows/lampshades/comforters etc.
0 Likes   Thanked by yugituna    January 11, 2014 at 4:02AM
katypaints
There are some great color combinations out there for your greys (the wall and headboard) to decorate around. I see them in nature and cityscapes, signage, and artwork and often use them in painting projects. If you want to be unique in your bedding, window treatments and chairs shades of grey, pink/red (yes pink) and yellow. Grey and yellow are fabulous together, go ez on the pink just accessorize on chair seats, photo matting...hints here and there, it won't bother your husband if used in moderation. You can get posh and rustic if applied correctly. Have fun!
0 Likes   Thanked by yugituna    January 11, 2014 at 5:19AM
yugituna
@CDW Design - no, no.... those lamps are going away! Those are the ones left behind by the previous owners. we just used them up until TODAY. They were simply screwed into the wall and had cords hanging down into a socket. We are going to get mismatched night stands and matching lamps.

@kimjesson - Yeh, i was thinking accent wall might be weird because of the vaulted ceilings. you should see how the previous owneres painted the other rooms. they all have vaulted ceilings and they painted the walls in orange cut off in a horizontal line a few inches above the top of the door line.

@katypaints - yes, we love grey. the living room has the same wall color and (no on purpose) the sofa is a similar color to the bed. we put down a creme shag rug, DIY rustic wooden coffee table and have splashes of yellow and pinks in framed art, pillows, etc and a nice blue curtain on the sliding door. we love how yellow and pinks work with grey!

walls are all painted now. the last coat is now drying. i will be sure to put a before and after photo up after the paint drys. :)
1 Like   January 11, 2014 at 10:30PM
yugituna
@cltaylor11 - i love that wallpaper! i would so do that but i think it might look funny with a vaulted ceiling. it seems like vaulted rooms and/or odd shaped walls can hinder some decor ideas. :(
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 10:31PM
LB Interiors
I would paint the wall the same color. Use accent color for all the other elements in the room. I would use metallic silver, mirror and white for an elegant start. Maybe add some plum and raspberry for some accessories.
0 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 12:45AM
CDR Design
ygittuna, yes I understand those lamps are going. What I am saying is that you need to be careful about the new lamps. You don't have much space on either side of the beds.

What I am asking: is there an electrical box in the wall? You said there were no cords hanging down. So, then they were hard-wired into a box?

If so, you could have the boxes moved to the correct locations and get some low-profile wall-lamps.
0 Likes   Thanked by yugituna    January 12, 2014 at 3:31AM
0 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 3:38AM
CDR Design
0 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 3:39AM
CDR Design
1 Like   January 12, 2014 at 3:40AM
mindserve33
I have the same grey walls too in my master bedroom. Mine seems to be a cave as there is little light that goes in being in the back of the house. I also have no idea of what I should do for that accent wall. Wallpaper is out, the wall is heavily textured. The flooring is resilient wood planks that will be wood laminate eventually. Had to get rid of some nasty carpet quick. I love a white and grey look, maybe a couple of large paintings over the headboard with some bright colors to offset the grey monotone. Yugituna, I would ditch the headboard, it's too brown and dark. Maybe you can cover that with a faux white leather headboad. Then with a couple of paintings over it or one depending on the distance between the wall and headboard, you can add some color in there.
0 Likes   Thanked by yugituna    January 12, 2014 at 4:44AM
yugituna
@CDR - ah, i meant that the lamps are corded and there are sockets on both sides of the bed. The wall is now finished and the bed is centered and the sockets are easily accessible for a table top lamp.

@mindserve33 - well unfortunately, we cannot ditch the headboard. it is an entire bed and attached to rails. its actually a nice dark grey and great material. we have been looking for a nice upholstered bed for quite some time and just pulled the trigger back in October.
0 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 7:32PM
yugituna
now comes the tough part (at least for me) picking window treatment patterns. >.
0 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 7:33PM
pcmom1
Are there other windows besides the little ones by the bed?
0 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 8:01PM
CDR Design
Could you please post a photo of the bed centered?
Are there other windows in the room?
Is the wall to the right of the bed a partial wall?
Do the windows have munitions (dividers) in them?
0 Likes   January 13, 2014 at 3:12AM
yugituna
there is just a large sliding glass door to the left. here are pictures. (btw, this is josh, yugituna's husband. :) we share a houzz account. lol ive been the one posting and asking the questions )

the mattress will be higher up on the bed. i just made a wood foundation for the mattress. someday we may change out the slider for french doors. i might put some trim work around the sliding door and windows just for looks.
0 Likes   January 13, 2014 at 12:43PM
Lion Windows and Doors
Peach color will look fantastic :)
0 Likes   January 13, 2014 at 12:44PM
Lion Windows and Doors
This is a perfect soft color for bedroom.
1 Like   January 13, 2014 at 12:54PM
CDR Design
Hi.

I would recommend panel drapes on both sides of the windows and both sides of slider.
The rod should be hung just above the window. Normally, I would recommend higher, but hanging them higher in this case would look odd on the left window.

For the window panels, no one will have to know where the window begins and ends. So, on the outer edges, the panel will cover more of the window than on the inner side. Does that make sense?
0 Likes   January 13, 2014 at 1:14PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Hi Josh! I would add either sheers or blinds with the curtains. Also, the same curtains (with sheers) on the patio door. This design is a good mix of masculine and feminine. The side tables add a rustic touch but the other items are more modern. Just having fun offering some suggestions. :))
Mouse over to enlarge image.
1 Like   January 13, 2014 at 1:35PM
Lynnie
I do love the color. What I am not in love with is the headboard. It would look nice to have an off white upholstered one, a bit more dramatic. Have the bedspread take in the wall color with some accent colors like yellow or coral.
http://www.houzz.com/off-white-tufted-headboard
http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/off-white-tufted-headboard
0 Likes   January 13, 2014 at 1:37PM
Totally Custom Wallpaper
A very airy custom wallpaper pattern in an almost white with pattern in the same silver as the other walls could work.
0 Likes   January 13, 2014 at 2:17PM
maggiedoyle
I'd paint them lime green
0 Likes   January 13, 2014 at 2:39PM
maggiedoyle
Lime green or navy
0 Likes   January 13, 2014 at 2:40PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Completely different style.....This design is more feminine but the dark headboard, bedding and paisley pattern on the curtains (with darker tones) add a touch of masculinity. The posh element comes from the mirrored side tables and the chandelier. Lamps are more rustic. As you can see from all my postings, I do suggest a pattern for the curtains. ;))
0 Likes   January 13, 2014 at 3:26PM
yugituna
what do you think about bamboo roman shades inside with sheer-like fabric for curtains, one sided of course.?
2 Likes   January 21, 2014 at 12:21PM
CDR Design
Like it!
0 Likes   January 21, 2014 at 12:33PM
LB Interiors
Good choices!
0 Likes   January 21, 2014 at 12:52PM
yugituna
here is what i came up with so far. i am having a hard time finding a picture for the bedding. The night stands and lamps were kind of random.... just tried to find anything. :P
0 Likes   January 22, 2014 at 10:27PM
yugituna
i feel that it looks so empty. maybe i need something more full for the window treatments...
0 Likes   January 22, 2014 at 10:28PM
CDR Design
Drapes: no reason you cannot hang drapes on both sides. But, I would use black-out panel drapes. No one will know where the window begins and ends. So, if you hung drapes on both sides, you can trick the eye into thinking the center of the window is closer to the bed than it is.

Does that make sense?

It will make a nice backdrop for your lamps.
1 Like   Thanked by yugituna    January 23, 2014 at 1:57AM
yugituna
gotcha! maybe we can do double rod and use blackout in the front with a sheer back panel.
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 8:44AM
yugituna
also, i drew in window trim... u think that looks ok without having crown molding?
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 8:48AM
pcmom1
CDR is so right. Trick the eye into believing the windows are wider and higher.

1 Like   January 23, 2014 at 8:54AM
CDR Design
You mean without having trim?

Why do you need sheers?
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 9:15AM
yugituna
@CDR , having window trim without having crownmolding on the ceiling. im starting to wish we had level ceilings.... seems like more options :)

well... sheers so we can close those to diffuse the light. we usually keep our curtains open and like the natural light but then we do have that large sliding door which provides enuf light
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 10:16AM
yugituna
updated... still need to add solid curtains
1 Like   January 23, 2014 at 10:18AM
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
Love the look above!
0 Likes   Thanked by yugituna    January 23, 2014 at 10:23AM
Lynnie
Here is what I like so far: Lydia posted a picture with a wonderful chandelier in the middle. Love that. Love the drapers hung up high to give that grandiose affect of the windows.
Here is what I would change: Have a large painting in the middle with 2 smaller ones on each side. Make them a Large statement which will pull the entire room into it.

Add a little more color with your pillows. I can see the reds and yellows as stand outs.
0 Likes   Thanked by yugituna    January 23, 2014 at 10:59AM
yugituna
cool. yeh, i should hang the curtains a lil higher. my wife wants a nice chandelier. i couldnt find one to photoshop in. still looking :) ill play w the pictures as well. =]
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 2:32PM
CDR Design
You could go a little higher with the drapes. But, be careful not to go too high, as the left drape will look awkward encroaching on the ceiling angle.
0 Likes   January 23, 2014 at 2:47PM
Help with master bedroom's wall color and window/molding/closet color.
Hi, We just bought this house and is from the 70s...
bradlici
master bedroom help: lamps, wall color
We have just bought a house and moved in a few weeks...
maxdc
Master Bedroom Wall Color Help!
My husband and I just bought a new bed, see picture...
Leah Brady
Help with color of door between master bath and master bedroom
We are completing a bathroom refresh/remodel. We are...
wes18
Help! Master Bedroom Decor - Blue Walls, Dark Furniture
Here's what I'm working with.. This room has been the...
ashleigh1987
rredpenn
main gate entry door designs
you have so much varieties, lots of beautiful images...
asitoza
Help! WHAT TO DO?
Please tell me of this works? What can I add? Or remove?...
ellercee
Should you walk into the living or dining room from front door
The front room was the dining room and I am thinking...
cmgilli
Need help deciding kitchen paint color
Which color do you prefer for our kitchen?
Amy Theesfeld