Replacing shower - tile shower floor or go with a solid base?
bvh2480
We are replacing the shower in our 2nd floor master bathroom. The existing swanstone shower base is about 32" W by 48" L. We would like to expand it to 38" W by 58" L - my contractor will do a tile shower floor but warns me that one small crack over time and I may have a huge mess on my hands - any thoughts on this? The tile shower floors look beautiful but.... Thank you for your ideas
logg
All shower floor have (should) a copper tray and then concrete and then tile w/grout. Proper maintenance and you should be all set. I think one solid piece is less attractive and not high end. Good luck and do what you want not your contractor,
January 9, 2014 at 4:53PM      Thanked by bvh2480
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Tile base look so much nicer and last longer if installed well. There are products available to help prevent leaks. http://www.noblecompany.com/Products/ShowerProducts/tabid/59/Default.aspx
January 9, 2014 at 5:20PM      Thanked by bvh2480
smileyface2013
It sounds to me like your contractor is not comfortable or confident installing a tile shower base. I strongly recommend getting somebody else (a professional tile installer) to do that portion of the remodel.

I think a tile shower floor is much preferred over a solid one.
January 9, 2014 at 5:25PM      Thanked by bvh2480
grobby
Your contractor should be more knowledgable, confident and professional. All shower walls and floors should be waterproofed to prevent leaks and if done correctly, you shouldn't ever have that worry. Make sure it done correctly because if something did happen and it's not done by standards, insurance companies consider it to be a design or construction issue and will most likely not pay the claim.
January 9, 2014 at 5:38PM      Thanked by bvh2480
bvh2480
Thank you so much for your comments. We really like the look of tile so I will revisit the idea with our contractor.
January 9, 2014 at 6:22PM   
Need help for designing bedroom for my young girl(16).
Its total empty and plain bedroom 14"-15" I want to...
Should I paint both rooms the same color??
We are painting our family room and kitchen, and I'm...
color ideas for my kitchen cabinets
I'd like to paint or stain my kitchen cabinets a new...
Backyard slope
So our backyard has a very dramatic downhill slope...