Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariesinla

Need ideas for best use of built in wall shelves

Doug James
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I have a gorgeous wall of built in shelves in my living room. I don't have books to fill the space up with and wondering if you have any ideas of what would make this wall sing?

Comments (22)

• shakerjaebs
    10 years ago
    My wall is similar. It is 87 years old, so I'm not willing to make big structural changes or paint it. Lots of people paint or wallpaper the back of the shelving to make it pop!
    Doug James thanked shakerjaebs
  • shakerjaebs
    10 years ago
    And, your wall is beautiful. Can't wait to hear other's suggestions.
    Doug James thanked shakerjaebs
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Wallpaper or give some contrast to the back of the shelves, then add your favorite art and collectables.

Home Library · More Info
    Doug James thanked Dytecture
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Do you have any collections....pottery maybe......that could be showcased? You can put photos on SOME of the shelves.

Is it possible to turn the couch so it faces the fireplace and then snuggle a chair in to the corner by the window? Pretend like it is a reading corner? That will cover part of the shelves and break up all the straight lines that we see now, too.
    Doug James thanked abbyjean
  • Cheryl Hahn
    10 years ago
    #1 - Start with an assortment of photos and candles #2 Go to a thrift store to find goodies like old glass bottles, vases and other fun, unique things that strike your fancy... you may even find an old encyclopedia set to display. I have built-ins and had it filled up in no time. No doubt you will too once you start. Good luck and have fun!
    Doug James thanked Cheryl Hahn
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Primo wall! I like everything I am hearing so far. Maybe a bit of variety....pottery, books, plates, jars, photos. I would put my cigar box collection there--the portraits, lettering and differnent woods would set this off very nicely. Definitely like the wallpaper idea. Maybe a series of different coloured 'faux' candles--the ones that light by remote? Have fun. Happy Houzzing.
    Doug James thanked DMH DESIGN
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    My husband would happily put his Ducks Unlimited decoys on some shelves.
    Doug James thanked abbyjean
  • K Carlstrom
    10 years ago
    Yes, really great wall. If the shelves are adjustable/removable, you might want to consider removing the top two shelves on both sides of the window. This would create space for two large and complimentary framed pictures, while keeping the other shelves for collections. Remember, books look great stacked horizontally in addition to the traditional vertical rows. I like the black boxes you have at the bottom of the shelving - nice grounding. What happy dilemmas. Best.
    Doug James thanked K Carlstrom
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    I say shop for books! With all the online stuff a real book will be a collector's item. Go to local bookstores, used book stores and help keep them in business. I don't think anything is as beautiful on a shelf.
    Living room · More Info
    Doug James thanked pcmom1
  • mfwolfe
    10 years ago
    Most public libraries have used book sales once or twice a year. Some have ongoing sales. You can get books there for 25 cents quite often if you don't care what the titles are. Also garage sales have books quite cheap, but most are paperback which aren't so pretty on bookshelves.....too short. You could put quite a few collectables on these shelves but books would be cheap and easy.
    Doug James thanked mfwolfe
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Thrift stores are great spots to purchase books. Large hardcovers for one dollar or less. Would be great to bring back that library that use to be passed down thru the generations...

And if you subscribe to magazines, you can purchase good looking holders at office store that will hold a dozen or so.
    Office bookcase · More Info
  • PRO
    Interior Trends Remodel & Design
    10 years ago
    A combination of things that you LOVE to look at. That includes the books that you do have, make sure they are ones that speak to you. Include photos, art, pottery, aesthetically pleasing boxes or baskets and use them for storage. We have fun colored boxes on our book shelves and they house all of our Christmas ornaments! If you only display and purchase things for your home that you LOVE your design WILL come together!
    Doug James thanked Interior Trends Remodel & Design
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Any collections in storage? Old typewriters? Old cameras?
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2012-home-tour-eclectic-phvw-vp~537565
  • PRO
    Dana Decals
    10 years ago
    Books.

Lots of books.

For the back of the cases, going off from off shakerjaebs comment, why not use a wallpaper in a color that ties in with another color you already have elsewhere in the space?
    Doug James thanked Dana Decals
  • PRO
    dezign interiors, llc
    10 years ago
    Agree-painting the inside would be nice. Another idea would be to remove the second shelf down, on each side, and put one, large piece of artwork in there. If you're contemporary, put a monochromatic collection on the rest of the shelves, like all ironstone or silver. If you're more traditional, a mix of collections and elements would work better. Lastly, if the books you do have aren't attractive, wrap them with brown shipping paper, or old maps. It's a great look!
    Doug James thanked dezign interiors, llc
  • kimedge
    10 years ago
    Add white/cream china and pictures to stand out from the colour of the wood. Collect and recover small boxes to make a welcoming display.
  • PRO
    John Newman Design
    10 years ago
    "book by the foot" is a great resource for books.
    Go to thrift stores and grab whatever you can cheaply and wrap them in paper of your choice.
  • nikitasmom
    10 years ago
    The attached image uses a lot of white items. Many of them could be purchased in a thrift store or even at a dollar store if you have one, and then painted white.
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/171910910748493473/
    Another link on using and painting your thriftstore finds.
    http://aunnajames.blogspot.com/2013/04/diy-milk-glass-pedestal-bowl.html
  • PRO
    Emerson Brothers Construction
    10 years ago
    Think BOPP- you must have Books, Objects, and Pictures/Paintings. Also remember the color rule- use the same color at least three times.
  • PRO
    Mean Design
    10 years ago
    Paint or paper the back wall. We all have "junk", find some aesthetically pleasing boxes/bins that fit in between the shelves and organize (while hiding) your junk. You could even make your own with some cardboard boxes and fabric.
  • PRO
    Hollywood Book Covers
    10 years ago
    Lots and lots of books and beautiful objects! We have decorative paper covers that look like real leather books that are cheaper than books by the foot. http://www.hollywoodbookcovers.com
    Doug James thanked Hollywood Book Covers