Honed White Carrera Marble countertops?
saphire23
This is my first kitchen remodel. I went with simple white shaker cabinets but cannot decide on a countertop. I thought I wanted granite but most slabs in my price range were very busy looking. I am conflicted whether to go with Honed White Carrera Marble or maybe a dark grey countertop to add some contrast. Hardwood floors are being installed on Monday, they are slightly rustic. Any ideas on countertops?
susancbradley
I love the look of honed carrara marble and was convinced I would put it in my kitchen regardless of what I had heard from others. My sister beat me to it. She had no kids at the time, just the two of them, and they seldom cooked. Two years later, there were several chips along the edges of her counter. I knew then that honed marble would not survive my boys. Luckily, I found a quartz that looks very much like the marble I wanted, but is really tough! I'm not a designer - my cabinets are black on the bottom with white uppers and white subway backsplash. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice here - great forum!
January 10, 2014 at 5:04am        Thanked by saphire23
Carrara marble provides a more neutral kitchen, but agree it might not be as durable as granite or other sold surfaces.

January 10, 2014 at 5:32am        Thanked by saphire23
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Hi Saphire -The white-on-white look is very popular.. I'd consider Danby marble, which is very hard among the marbles - so it behaves better in the kitchen than softer, more porous stones. It is a creamy white with sweeping grey veining. (With all marbles, we'd specify some more overhang support for your snack bar - three flat steel plates, left-right-center of your corbels.)

You are correct, though, in understanding quartz material as tougher and a significant step more resistant to damage than even the hardest natural marble. To mimic Carrara we'd suggest the Cambria "Torquay" design (which would not need any additional support).

Search houzz for either, and you'll see some nice photos. Our own page at Someone's in the Kitchen features a nice project titled "Just What I Wanted!" with Danby marble on white cabinetry.

(...or the grey counters you're also considering would certainly add some crisp contrast, and add more visual depth to the room.)

Best Wishes, Saphire! Mark
January 10, 2014 at 5:38am        Thanked by saphire23
yoboseiyo
you have to be careful with a marble counter.

if you're not naturally a super careful person, or a klutz (like me!) then go with either a solid surface, or a granite.
January 10, 2014 at 6:03am   
movethisnotthat
My kitchen is white with white quartz countertops ! I love love it. I did a carrara marble back splash. it was/is a win win ! Quartz will survive a kitchen, does not stain, chip, burn and it's no fuss. It cleans beautifully. My floor is dark walnut. It works !!
January 10, 2014 at 6:27am        Thanked by saphire23
diyher
good to still hear positive things about Quartz :) I'm going that route but just have to figure out color.
January 10, 2014 at 6:39am   
Amber
I see lots of grey because of the popularity of carrara, but I am not a grey person. I love the look of soapstone but would worry it would have to much blue or green in color. So I would be looking for a inky black or maybe dark espresso ceaser-sile stone counter. Have you seen the engineered recycled paper countertops? They have a lovely soft honed look less shiny and DIY if need be.
January 10, 2014 at 9:41am     
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
marble will be 'fussy' .. black also looks good, gray will work as well. Try a manmade material to get the white color it will be more durable.
January 10, 2014 at 10:56am     
santoslhauper
Thassos white marble is a very hard marble if you want plain white. Looks, feels, and cuts like granite. For a smooth dark gray you can do concrete counters. Honed Absolute Black granite for a black counter that's not too shiny
January 10, 2014 at 5:15pm     
dclostboy
Any thought about soapstone?
January 10, 2014 at 6:11pm     
Emerson Brothers, LLC. Home Remodeling
We just did a beautiful antiqued absolute black granite countertop in a white kitchen. It is a classic look and the homeowner adores it!
January 10, 2014 at 6:15pm     
Ann
Personally, I think a dark counter would be nice. Virginia Mist and antique brown are nice dark granites and I really like dclostboy's suggestion of soapstone. I have a dark, leathered, natural quartzite in my kitchen that I love. It's a dark charcoal color (called Capolavoro). It looks a bit lighter in this picture because my flash went off.
January 10, 2014 at 6:36pm     
Ann
Oops, sorry, I forgot to attach the Capolavoro picture. Here it is.
January 10, 2014 at 7:01pm     
qwer147
I'm also doing a similar project - I just installed Misty Carerra in Caesar stone (Quartz), and the colouring is lighter but same colour tones as carerra marble. I opted for carerra marble tiles for backsplash - it's gorgeous! Now I'm deciding on paint colour for the cabinets - am thinking barren plain in Benjamin Moore, but open to suggestions
January 10, 2014 at 7:42pm     
Kathryn Peltier Design
Take a look at Vicostone Romance Series in one of the marble patterns. This is a quartz product but give a very nice and subtle marble pattern - the best of both worlds. http://stylenquaza.com/interactive_img.asp?c=
January 10, 2014 at 7:50pm     
Designer Stone Outlet
As long as you seal it and clean it with neutral cleaners your counter will not stain. The bottom line is that a marble will patina and scratch and show ware, if you are looking for something to look brand new in 5 years, marble is not for you. However, they have been using marble in Europe for centuries, and lets face it, it's beautiful.
January 11, 2014 at 8:27pm     
front yard design
Hi, I have a small front yard around 34' wide, for...
I need help deciding where to center an art piece on a wall?
My client has a wall with a towel bar and a light switch...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
base boards & door casings to coordinate with crown molding with rope
Redoing dining room. Put up crown as going to have...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...