Need help with entryway/great room/kitchen
55372January 10, 2014
Just moved into a home with an open floor plan. I need some help and thoughts with furniture placement in fireplace room (great room), needing a new kitchen table, walls need art, and I'm clueless on window treatments. Not married to any of what is there although I'd like to keep as much as possible. Any advice?
abbyjean
What a view!!!
Is there a way the couch could face the tv and then the two chairs face each other, like the chair is facing the couch now? The white end table seem too white and too big. Hmmm.....
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by 55372    January 10, 2014 at 12:26PM
Steve Guadagnino III
abbyjean
While I love the map on the wall, it seems low there and I am also wondering if the armoire would look better if it was centered on that wall instead of angled in the corner, soooo close to the window??
    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 12:28PM
55372
Thanks abbyjean - We started with the couch facing the fireplace but felt like it blocked traffic to the kitchen area?? Agree with the comment on the end tables, just don't have a place for them yet and am contemplating round ones - http://www.ballarddesigns.com/compass-side-table/218909orderId=16874008&orderItemId=50523286?
    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 3:51PM
55372
More photos to follow - After we look at moving the armoire to center it, (super heavy, requires xtra manpower) and move couch to see if we can achieve balance. We angled it to balance the angled fireplace. Not in love with the map but I like thought of using maps for decor and we happened to have this without a wall to put it on ;)
    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 3:58PM
abbyjean
I like the big piece of furniture centered with the angled fireplace, but I rather think that might be enough angling of furniture in the room....especially not sure about two corners having angles.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 5:30PM
tennisanyone
I agree with abbyjean, I would put the couch facing the fireplace and the two chairs facing the couch next to the fireplace. angeled into the room. I would move the armoire where the map is. What is on the wall next the the bar stools. Might be another place for the armoire but I would need to see a picture of the space.
    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 5:40PM
abbyjean
You may need to switch the rug direction around, too. And I have to agree with liking maps as art work.
    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 6:06PM
I love this room. I love the map. You need a globe. And since your link above to the table you're considering didn't work, I found a better one.

I would leave the armoire at an angle; it reflects the angle of the fireplace. But I'd try squaring up the furniture. Put the sofa about 3 feet in front of the window, the chairs perpendicular to the sofa, side by side with a table in between. The compass table in the photo below.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by 55372    January 10, 2014 at 6:48PM
55372
Thanks everyone! I will take some pics and update when I have daylight tomorrow!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 9:52PM
cbrichards
I have the same map and my walls are a similar color. People seem to love it. Always looking at it and talking about where they have been. We put lights above for better viewing at night
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by 55372    January 11, 2014 at 6:11AM
katypaints
Definitely like the map and armoire where they are just move the map up a little maybe a foot? The rug seems too big but I bet you are doing it so the furniture doesn't skid around. I would try to find some pillows for couch in warm tan and grey and white patterns, get some fake or real ficus trees or the like, plants really soften the hard spaces of today decors. I think your side tables should be different I originally like softening with oval or round but found some other alternatives....could you change out one of the chairs with an upholstered piece... see attachment...just looks like you bought the set. Maybe use one leather chair in your master b.room. Could you cover DR chairs in white muslin? Sorry you didn't ask, just thinking all that brown leather. Very pretty.
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 7:35AM
katypaints
Any floor receptacles? Need to get a lamp or 2 on the side table(s) and they should be big lamp to fit the room, I do love the contemporary/with the drum shade floor lamp!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by 55372    January 11, 2014 at 7:41AM
Go Nautical Collections
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by 55372    January 11, 2014 at 7:49AM
55372
katypaints - Attaching more images after moving some things around. Thanks for your insight. Digging out grey and white patterned pillows from storage and we will see how they look. The rug came from a previous house and is very large, I've wondered if round would be a better shape, but to your point I wouldn't see a lot of it with all of the furniture surrounding it. The leather couch came as a set and upholstered chairs could replace the leather chairs which I could relocate to kids rooms. Would you replace 1 or both. I love the example you sent.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 9:58AM
55372
As for the kitchen - the cabinets are being replaced soon, we just replaced the island for now and are doing this in stages. The cabinets will be white. The kitchen table is being replaced with one from Pier 1 with a glass top and sits lower, we are still selecting chairs!?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 10:05AM
mpoulsom
your suitcases on top of the cabinet could be your end tables for the time being, instead of up there. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 10:08AM
55372
cbrichards - Will look for different lighting options above the map. Floor lamp from a previous home, looking for ways to light up the entire room. We replaced the carpet in this room and will eventually cut out outlets in the flooring when we settle with a floor plan for additional lighting.
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 10:09AM
55372
abbyjean - Waiting for muscle for the armoire re- positioning! Any thoughts from you on painting this piece? I've often thought about it...
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 10:11AM
55372
mpoulsom - Great idea. Trying this now... :)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 10:12AM
abbyjean
Love the two little ones snuggled on the couch for Saturday morning cartoons!
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 10:18AM
abbyjean
I am mixed about moving the armoire! That map makes such a statement and several have suggested how angling it DOES work with the fireplace. And now with the rest of the pics, your room looks very nice!!! I like the couch facing the fireplace.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 10:18AM
abbyjean
Can't wait to see the suitcases and if they work for a side table!!!
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 10:20AM
abbyjean
Need something to disguise the outlets under the map........long skinny narrow bench??? That would help anchor it there, too. The suitcases are such a perfect accessory with the map!!!
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 10:22AM
Pat Williams
55372, Love the furniture if you don't mind could you give me the name
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 10:24AM
katypaints
You know even adding one patterned chair and then a few pillows in same fab (or white)as well as light gray pillows to the couch and chair would change the feel.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by 55372    January 11, 2014 at 10:41AM
55372
abbyjean - those outlets drive me crazy! Thanks for the bench idea. I may end up covering and patching if we don't need the wiring.
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 11:03AM
55372
Pat - I think the brand is Incanto, and "verona" is on the tag. I hope this helps.
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 11:04AM
cbrichards
We got our lights at IKEA
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 5:11PM
sunnydrew
You can get outlet cover plates and just paint them. It is nice to see that someone gets the concept of angling furniture and floating it away from the walls. Great job.
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 5:30PM
55372
sunnydrew - Thanks for that idea of painting cover plates! Easy!
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 5:46PM
tennisanyone
I love the new arrangement but I would move the armoire where you have the map. Love that map too so where can we move it?
    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 5:50PM
Uppercase Living Ind. Demonstrator Michelle Moore
Love the map!! How about adding a large vinyl decal quote above it? something like this maybe- http://michellemoore.uppercaseliving.net/DesignItems.m?DesignId=924&MenuLinkKey=products&CategoryId=366
1 Like    Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 7:03PM
Need Help With Entryway Colors
This is my entryway to my condo. I've got a green steel...
dupsl001
Need help with entryway
I need help with my entryway. It is quite dark - so...
poojakiyer
Need help for awkward entryway
I live in a 'semi-furnished flat' and am working on...
Maya
Need help organizing my tiny (do-it-all) Entryway in my Kitchen!
I really need help organizing this space (if that's...
Cynthia B
Need HELP with my entryway
I have this buffet that I originally bought to go next...
kbena
kitchen cabinets
How do I give my kitchen cabinets height?
Kameela Jackson
Latest RTA Toffee Kitchen Cabinets Done By Lily Ann Cabinets
Hello Houzzer, i would like to share our latest...
Lily Ann Cabinets
Giving up on Dining Room Color
We have a 1910 house with a lot of wood. I do not...
ginamuto
Need Help for my Living room
I bought ashley platinum sofa set consist of 3+2+2...
pity30002000
help with tiny kitchen
Paint cabinets? help with storage ideas, no room for...
kenricsyd