5 Minute Refresh - Bedrooms!
Changes don't need to be big! You don't always need a full remodel or all new furniture. Share your tips for refreshing your bedroom with a quick change or two to mix things up.

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

Mark
Fresh flowers on a nightstand, adding a colorful throw, or new throw cushions on the bed or a chair are inexpensive ways to freshen up the bedroom. Painting the walls or even the bedroom furniture for example nightstands, dresser or side chair etc. can make a big impact for a small mount of money. I also like these decals that I found on Etsy, they can be applied in no time to your walls and what a big difference they make to a plain wall.
21 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 5:08AM
chookchook2
Some people change the other person in the room rather frequently.
75 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 5:59AM
amtyevlasyve
Please supply wall colour name thanks
1 Like   January 11, 2014 at 7:34AM
Curt D'Onofrio
In one rental apartment or ours i put in our bedroom a ceiling fan and light combo. Didn't change the room much but cooled us down wink wink
4 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 7:45AM
Curt D'Onofrio
A minor change but with a big difference, i would have to go with window treatments, drapes, curtains, what have ya
2 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 7:48AM
indianpatti
A new piece of art over the bed or new lampshades in a different color.
4 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 7:52AM
trebinje
The color in the inspiration photo is bm clay beige, one of my favorite houzz photos. If you're asking about the blue, mark can respond ... My guess is its bm palladian blue (or wythe or stratton). We recently painted our guest room palladian and its dreamy, guests don't want to leave!
3 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 7:57AM
rredpenn
I am a linen junkie, so new sheets, blankets or duvet covers are irresistible quick changes for me!
8 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 8:09AM
Curt D'Onofrio
@trebinje: Did that match the blue in original posters (OP) blue walls?
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 8:27AM
2dogssashatess
Chook2chook, I would say changing the other person in the room is the ultimate and most exciting accessory;) and it costs nothing LOL
6 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 2:52PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Sometimes it is simply a matter of changing coverlets, shams, pillows and throws... Change it up a bit with color within your scheme.
4 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 3:49PM
mfwolfe
I was considering new coverlet, shams and pillows which were going to cost me about $400. Looked carefully at the room and took out a table that was crowding one corner, and centered the bed under the art and the two wall lamps, and said " wow!"
8 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 3:57PM
gavinandheni
Just love this so calming and relaxing
1 Like   January 12, 2014 at 12:20AM
Shevaun Handley
Several things happen in my bedroom to refreshen it:

1) clean out the closet and chests of drawers - you'd be surprised how much of a refresher that is!
2) move the furniture - if the room allows it, move the bed against a different wall and rearrange accordingly;
3) change the linen, redefine your colour schemes!
5 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 2:17AM
cindyguent
@mark, was your bed originally mahogany or cherry finish? My bed is so similar but never saw it black. That's a future consideration for me. Btw, the decals really look good, as does the room. I did a quick change up in my room, Emily, but can't show pics because I would have to clean up hubby's side of room!
2 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 5:51AM
Mark
@cindyguent that bed is not my bed, I posted that picture to show the stencils on the wall that they sell at etsy.
2 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 5:53AM
cindyguent
Thanks Mark. I love etsy. I'm going to show that to my daughter to dress up her walls a bit.
1 Like   January 12, 2014 at 6:36AM
okdokegal
Waiting for a day where the temp will be in the 60's, turn off the heat, OPEN WINDOWS and vent the place out good, and take the Suckmonster (Dyson17), dim the lights and declare war on the dust rhinos. A fresher smelling room always does wonders.
3 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 6:55AM
Barnhart Gallery
Somebody new for chookchook.
12 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 11:47AM
jdforney
Yesterday was over 50 degrees in Boston, so I opened our bedroom windows to let in some fresh air for an hour. I should have dusted & vacuumed at the same time, but decided to watch football instead :)
6 Likes   January 13, 2014 at 4:09AM
All 4 Show, LLC
]
A little accent paint color behind a bed can go a long way.... :)
1 Like   January 13, 2014 at 4:35AM
lepstein
Mirrors. Or put a chandelier in your room. A fresh colour of paint with an unexpected accent colour is fun. Fresh breezes. I am certainly going to check out the appliqués that Mark posted from etsy as I have a long wall that is too close to the bed to take art.
1 Like   January 13, 2014 at 7:27AM
Studio M Interior Design
Sheets are always a quick and easy way to achieve a different look in the bedroom, especially if your space is mostly transitional
1 Like   January 13, 2014 at 9:34AM
beesknees2260
My smart aleck comment would be that it is when we get the bed made up. It does not happen all the time and is always refreshing when it does get made with the pillows etc.
2 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 3:53AM
chookchook2
That new rooster would not do this, Barnhart gallery
8 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 4:40AM
chookchook2
Click to see kitty
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 4:41AM
Barnhart Gallery
Aww, must be Ugh? Adorable. Stay cool, we're hearing about a heat wave.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 7:17AM
ikwewe
We added a large mirror over a dresser in a dark corner. Made a huge difference. Dresser is dark wood, walls are medium wood. With the curtains open in the daytime, the mirror adds a whole new dimension. At night, I can turn on the light on the dresser and it adds light to the whole room without being garish.
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 7:52AM
Nellie
Absolutely love it. Clean, fresh, simple and inviting.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 9:18AM
Judy
I change my comforter at least twice a year, for the warm months and then the cold and I have a couple different sets of accent pillows that get changed out as well. I always stay with neutral colors so the drapes, chair, and rug don't have to be changed; it's always like I'm getting a brand new room. I don't buy high end so at least every 2 years I buy a new comforter, duvet, or coverlet and donate an old 1.
3 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 1:10PM
edithsmom
Judy, I do the same with my quilts & coverlets, changing them with the seasons. While I do keep my quilts, my coverlets go elsewhere... guest bed, daughters, or shelter.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 1:19PM
sclawson
My bedspread is aqua and I have large, embroidered euroshams across the head. Changing these would be easy, not too pricey, and give a different look. Along that same line, adding a throw or changing out an existing one.
0 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 2:43PM
Studio NOO Design
Well I love changing pillows and shams, i mix and match them with different bed linens
Bed Cushions
Bed cushions
Mix & matched cushions
Same bed, same black and white cushion but all the rest changes by season or mood !
3 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 3:01PM
halleycomet
Aw CHOOKCHOOK any time you want I can send you pics of my Silver Wyandotte hens just like the one in the picture! And one WAS in my bedroom the other day when it needed medical attention.

And they grew up in my kitchen----less problems and MESS than the actual HUMANS I live with!!!!!!
1 Like   January 15, 2014 at 8:01PM
Julian T. Gardea - Fine Art & Photography Prints
LOVE THE WHITE ROOM - if any thing I would add MINIMAL COLOR! Just one... over the bed... my photos can be made from Prints to Canvas. Check out my profile! :-)
3 Likes   January 15, 2014 at 9:47PM
organic furniture
my bedroom set is made of sexy purple 'blue mahoe" wood from jamaica
2 Likes   January 16, 2014 at 10:47PM
swedesand
My bedroom is neutral tan and taupe with black accents. I put a black metal curtain rod near the ceiling, behind the bed. I change the curtain, dresser scarves and decorative bed pillows to match. Now I have a winter set and a summer set. Easy to add to as $ and inclination dictate.
1 Like   January 17, 2014 at 9:31AM
Nellie
swedesand: your bedroom sounds like mine but a bit more exciting. I went through all the decluttering and went to basics. THEN I WAS BORED....so I bought colorful pillows...but still boring. I go over-seas every spring to visit and I will take my measurement of my windows with me and hopefully find something truly different there. Who knows where I will go from there. But the bedroom I love the featured bedroom.
1 Like   January 17, 2014 at 9:37AM
NexTrend Design
Here's an ingenius quickie 5 minute idea: Add some interest BEHIND the bedside tables & lamps (instead of above a large headboard) such as an interesting mirror or piece of art. Position the piece BEHIND the lampshade rather than ABOVE the lampshade. The mirror reflects light from the lamp & more than doubles it's ability to brighten up a dark corner. This type of 3-D grouping also gives you a much more visually stimulating vignette. Scroll over the Before & After photos to enlarge. (pictures were taken without lighting the lamps to avoid light glare) LIKE???
1 Like   January 20, 2014 at 12:23PM
Denise Loupe'Smith
I think it's a genius idea, I never seen this approach.
0 Likes   January 20, 2014 at 6:25PM
Farah Muzaffar
I would love of changing bedsheets with accent pillows... For me it's the quickest and freshest way to give a new look to a bedroom ...
0 Likes   January 30, 2014 at 12:15AM
5 Minute Refresh - Bathrooms!
Changes don't need to be big! You don't always need...
5 Minute Refresh - Family Rooms!
5 Minute Refresh - Kitchens!
Sliding Glass Doors: 5 Easy Tips to a Smoother Glide in Under 10 Minutes
Sliding glass doors are wonderful windows to your outside...
Need advice on furnishing and decorating a small home
My new home for my two boys (8 &12) & I, is approx....
basement needs style!
We have a large basement area that needs style help....
Help with long space
I have a large open space that combines living and...
bathroom tips
Hello all, I hope I can get ideas from you. We just...
Which chandelier?
We just moved in recently, had to tear down old plaster...