small bathroom tile and design suggestions
Kristi Fernholz
Need to redo this small bathroom, gut and retile the shower. We live in a rural area with hard well water with iron. Our water softener helps, but I do need to be able to clean the tile and grout well or there will be some orange building.

We are artists who like natural materials like wood and stone. I love santa fe style, rustic and well placed color. I was thinking porcelain tile, but not sure if it should be glazed or natural looking. Perhaps a wood ceiling stained white or light. The floors obviously need to be redone - wood or tile. There are old fir floors under the carpet painted with lead paint. I have purchased a nickel shower head.

We plan to keep the toliet, vanity and tile vanity top. The vanity may get stripped and restrained, with new nobs and handles, and perhaps a new fun door.

Specifically looking for color/types of tile, flooring suggestions and any design changes to the shower.
I propose a wood look tile for your style and have the "wood" flow up to the shower. No door either...like this...

2 Likes   Thanked by Kristi Fernholz    January 10, 2014 at 11:00PM
MarleneM
Because of your hard water I would pick a glazed tile for the shower. It will be easier ti clean. Stay away from white, especially the grout. Here are some I have picked for you.
First two picks are for the floor. Both are porcelain, but slate look. 3rd pic-pebble stone for shower stall floor. 4th pic - a plain glazed tile for shower walls, (this particular color is a bit off, but just wanted to give the idea) but adding a stripe or two with the bathroom floor tile. Wood element is there with cabinet and I would change mirror to one with matching wood frame. Update lights and faucets, shower door.
Gold | Dome | Porcelain Tile by Cerdomus
Leaves Porcelain floor tile by Rex | Leaves Chestnut, Leaves Nickel, Leaves Sund
Bamboo Pebbles and Stones Cream/Beige Indonesian Mosaic Tiles Tumbled
Grazia Melange Wall Tile
6 Likes   Thanked by Kristi Fernholz    January 11, 2014 at 12:00AM
mveasey
I like your vanity, good call to keep it. I will attach some photos.
There are tiles on the market now that look like wood, so you would get the best of both worlds.
How is the shower working for you at the moment? Is it crammed? It looks pretty small.
You could do a simple glass door or more of a barn door, but be careful that things do not look too "heavy" it is a smaller bathroom.
1) well placed colour: you could tile the whole inside of the shower in a signature colour, or paint the outsides of the shower to make it a statement box, so to speak. Simply painting the doors into the room or linen closet and doors might be a happy surprise.
I like the idea of a Santa Fe style cotton woven rug as a bathroom mat.
2) how about cladding the corner if the shower in a tree trunk or beam that could be repeated on the other side of the vanity if possible, to "frame" that side of the bathroom?
3) i like how the third photo looks woth the white, the darker wood, the rug and the more industrial lamps. It looks clean, but cozy, modern, yet rustic.
A word of caution. Before you invest, please make sure the floor has no water damage and the walls carry no rot or mould. Check waterlines and electrical if possible. Best of luck!
2 Likes   Thanked by Kristi Fernholz    January 11, 2014 at 12:29AM
mveasey
And don't forget to install a toilet paper holder! ;-)
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 12:38AM
chookchook2
If you are artists you should go to a place that lets you make and glaze and fire your own tiles.
1 Like   January 11, 2014 at 2:48AM
chookchook2
Or get your art digitally printed
http://tiledspace.com/
1 Like   Thanked by Kristi Fernholz    January 11, 2014 at 2:52AM
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 2:56AM
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 2:59AM
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 3:03AM
chookchook2
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 3:07AM
chookchook2
All the best, hope you feel inspired to use your creativity.
1 Like   January 11, 2014 at 3:08AM
moggie73
Just thinking ... have you considered bead-board for your walls?, (Either the traditional white or glazed in a weathered, soft shade of your favorite Sante Fe color.)
Also, you could introduce the southwestern look buy replacing your vanity mirror with one framed in colorful tiles. A more rustic pair of sconces would look terrific, also.
These projects always take longer than we think, Gook luck to you.
1 Like   January 11, 2014 at 4:46AM
Kristi Fernholz
Thanks. I was wondering about glazed porcelain of the inside of the shower. We will gut the shower completely as well as the ceiling and floor to get rid of any water damage. Perhaps we will keep the shower open into the room as long as the floor etc is all completely waterproof. It will be the kid's bath, a girl and a boy, now ages 9 & 12. New sink as well. and yes new lights and mirror! :) wallpaper off etc. I like the idea of a pebble floor. What size tile would look best for a small shower?

It is small, but works well enough. I think we'll leave the layout the way it is and spend more time with other rooms in the house I would love to make our own tiles, even have a book, but not probably not possible for this project.
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 6:53AM
MarleneM
What were you wondering about glazd tile on inside of shower? We have hard water, although not the rust, and its easy to clean. I have a squegee in shower to use after each use, reaaly helps with water spots, and the absolute best thing I have found for cleaning is something I found on Pinterest. Vinegar and Dawn dish soap, mixed 50/50. And after 30 yrs, I've tried lots of products!
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 10:11AM
MarleneM
Also for a kids bathroom, you could add a bit of fun like this:
3 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 10:15AM
Kristi Fernholz
I was wondering if we should stay with the glossy glazed tile for the walls instead of something more matte. We have the glazed tile now and I can get it clean but it builds up. Esp in the grout. Love the pebbles and fish!
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 10:55AM
MarleneM
Either way hard water and rust are hard to deal with. Your existing tile has probably had a lot of the original finish worn off because of years of scrubbing and harsh cleaners. .For the grout I would pick a colored grout similar to whatever tile you pick and use a grout sealer. Check with a tile supplier in your area to see what others have found works best for them, because a lot would be dealing with same water issues.
1 Like   Thanked by Kristi Fernholz    January 11, 2014 at 11:30AM
moggie73
Kristi, I've been thinking about your project. My very best bud just did a bathroom reno with the pebble flooring in the shower - she loves it. Since it appears to be a small room, why not treat the shower floors the same as the entire room?
We have lived with hard water and the porcelain/glazed worked best. Inside the shower, it looks as though a larger tile would work. (Fewer grout lines to seal and a cleaner, larger look.)
Just because, ... I am a big believer in installing 'garb bars' when you can. Even the little ones slip. We have placed them vertically as an aid, and horizontally. (The horizontal installation doubles as a place for washcloths, spray bottles etc. And the vertical installation doubles as a towel rod.)
Any chance of installing a waterproof light in the shower?
Hope we get to see your progress. Thanks for sharing.
1 Like   Thanked by Kristi Fernholz    January 13, 2014 at 10:28AM
Lion Windows and Doors
Check this out, Its small worm and modern, highly recommended :)
2 Likes   January 13, 2014 at 10:42AM
Kristi Fernholz
okay, so here we are 10 months later….
0 Likes   October 18, 2014 at 3:03PM
Kristi Fernholz
We kept the vanity (I didn't want to, but it was what had to happen.) We changed the sink to white, and moved in a white toliet to match. The shower turned out great with the cubby and granite corner shelves. I lightly sanded the vanity and stained it a shade darker. My husband revarnished it and fixed all the drawers. We also switched out the lights.

We switched the fan to a light/fan and moved it in front of the shower.

I bought nickel towel bars etc to match the faucets but don't have to keep. There will be light rustic alder trim going in. And yes, the counter will stay…for now.

Now to choose a mirror and hardware for the vanity. Here is a mirror I happen to have with pewter hardware. The mirror is nice and big (barely fits). I could paint the edges.
0 Likes   October 18, 2014 at 3:10PM
Kristi Fernholz
Here is a mirror I found at Home Depot with dark hardware.
0 Likes   October 18, 2014 at 3:11PM
Kristi Fernholz
And here it is without anything. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
0 Likes   October 18, 2014 at 3:12PM
Kristi Fernholz
So lots of new photos of the new bathroom! I had forgotten how bad the old one looked. Also, any ideas for the door in the vanity? I don't want to keep the old one.
0 Likes   October 18, 2014 at 3:18PM
MarleneM
Hi Kristi, It is looking sooo much better.! I like the brushed nickel hardware best because thats what the taps and lights are. i think either mirror could work size wise, but the larger mirror should be darker to match vanity. your hard work on vanity paid off, it looks great. for the door, does it need to be closed storage? i was thinking you could leave it open , add a shelf and some wicker baskets.
1 Like   October 18, 2014 at 10:20PM
Kristi Fernholz
MarleneM - I had planned on nickel hardware until I put the darker mirror up…all of a sudden dark hardware seemed to be the right thing to do. But it would be mixing it up. I might try to find a darker nickel/pewter. I love the idea of wicker baskets. I'd like to cover the plumbing and it is a great place for the garbage can.
0 Likes   October 19, 2014 at 10:15PM
A suggestion! Why not give dimensions of all small bathroom designs.
What's the size of this bathroom X Feet x X feet...Mine...
0903l
Need tile suggestion for small bathroom
I am remodeling my 8 1/2' x 7' bathroom and am perplexed...
mnpnet
Design suggestions for marble tile in goofy bathroom space?
The tub surround cracked vertically so we are replacing...
sammckelvey
Bathroom tile design issue- looking for suggestions.
Our master bath was just tiled and not sure how the...
sarahlipsker
Bathroom floor tile design layout suggestions
I'm re-doing 3 bathrooms & the floor tile arrived today....
Mary Uhlich
mommag109
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
What do you think I need in this living room?
Need help with my living room Hi everyone, I'm...
marionstwart
Need DESPERATE HELP for dining room and living room
I moved into my first house last year and am a single...
schmoo11
What color should I paint my wall?
I want to paint my big empty white wall and kindly...
Hamid