Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_11835481

Need help with Exterior Landscaping ideas

User
10 years ago
We just purchased a rental house and it needs some tlc outside. I would like to keep this as low maintenance as possible with perenials for plants since this is a rental unit. Any suggestions would be very welcomed. This is located in the midwest

Comments (16)

• nwduck
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would opt for standard shrubs rather than perennials. Perennial plants come up/die back, but they are not absolutely carefree. What you might do is drive some of the commercial properties in your area, and choose a couple of shrubs you think would suit. Take photos and show those to a good local nursery. If you did do some perennial flowering plants for late summer/fall color, Rudbeckias (black eyed Susans) are pretty easy. And, they grow at a rate you could plant, divide after a couple of years and get additional plants for free!
    User thanked nwduck
  • User
    10 years ago
    Very cute house! What zone is the house located in?
    User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We are zone 5. I am very open to shrubs and bushes, just need to know from others what may look good there and if you would go so far as to use mulch or stone and what colors would compliment the house...
  • User
    10 years ago
    Perennials need dividing etc. Ask neighbours and the nearest nurseries what plants do well in your area. Be sure to tell them what direction the beds will face, and dig a little hole to see what type of soil you have. Google types of soils to learn about Ph and texture.
    User thanked User
  • mcbartz
    10 years ago
    Dark brown mulch, orange or red would clash and take away from the plants that you would put in. What you need to do is have one large plant in the front right corner. Not a solid shrub but something you can see though like a small decorative tree (weeping pussy willow or curly willow) or like a small crab apple or even a variegated weigela would be pretty on that corner (that would be my pick). You could also do a japanese maple (MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE TREE, but I am zone 4 and it wont work for my area ;( Then think groups of 3. directly under your picture window you need 3 (of the same plant) with some height. a decorative grass would work beautifully there (make sure to stager plants) or a straight row of hydrangea. and then on the right side of the house pick 3 of another plant. 3 spieria, 3 day lillies, blue fescue, hostas' ....whatever. to the left of your porch add a splash of color with a knock out rose (easy easy and bug resistant) or a azalea (would be the envy off all your neighbors in the spring) or a russian sage. Then when you finish with your plants you will notice that you have little pockets of space leftover. This is where you plant some bulbs, perennials, or put rocks. These are the plants that don't last all season long but will add a spash of color though out the year at different times.
    User thanked mcbartz
  • mcbartz
    10 years ago
    one more suggestion for the overall look of your house, you could paint all the trim and garage door that dark brown color like on your porch eaves trim. And where those two hostas are on either side of your porch, that would be a really good place to put 2 large potted plants, or square planting boxes. fill with Annuals for a ton of color that you can change out each year, add a spike in the middle for some height.
    User thanked mcbartz
  • User
    10 years ago
    Ask your local nusurys about http://www.naturehills.com/dogwood-arctic-fire It has beautiful red branches in the winter. It is deciduous.

http://www.naturehills.com/barberry-crimson-pygmy Many of the Barberrys do well in your Zone. This one is worth checking out as are the other varieties. I think these have spines, though.

http://www.naturehills.com/arborvitae-little-giant Arborvitaes are evergreens. Great for winter color, too.

http://www.naturehills.com/mugho-pine Mungo Pine is an evergreen too.

I tried to find bushes that provide year round interest and tolerate varying conditions. I eliminated those with poisonous berries since this will be a rent house. I also tried to narrow them down to the types that require little pruning and will stay fairly small and grow slowly.
    User thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    Plant the Arborvitaes and Pines at least 3' away from the foundation and concrete drives and walks. The roots can cause cracking and heaving in the concrete.
    User thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    Others worth planting are Hydrangias varieties. They are deciduous, but in the summer will be beautiful. They will require watering and wilt fast if they get too dry, but the blooms are worth it. Check prices at your local nursery as the prices on this website seem to me to be high.
    User thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you don't mind your renters planting annuals or herbs you could prepare defined beds for that purpose. That would help keep the property looking neat and tidy if you confine the beds to the ones you prepare. That will keep your neighbors happy too!
    User thanked User
  • cohoek
    10 years ago
    I would plant a small tree a little to the right of the front lawn to break op the starkness, maybe a prunus or even a small apple tree. Maybe 2 square planters on each side op the front, with a rhodo or something else that will stay green in the winter with other perennials. Put alot of pot shards on the bottem to insure enough moisture. In a planter you can accomodate the soil to the needs op the plant, no fuss.
    User thanked cohoek
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow... all fantastic ideas! Thank you so much. Question for you all, would you carry the landscaping from the front to the side of the house and join the side porch? If so, any suggestions for this?
  • User
    10 years ago
    nwduck is right. Don't plant the bushes too densely. They'll grow to be a solid mess :)
    User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I truly appreciate all of the idea's, what a fantastic variety. Do you know of any software (free) I can use to upload this picture and play with landscaping?
  • mcbartz
    10 years ago
    Better homes and gardens has a free program that you can use off the website.
    User thanked mcbartz