My architect is suggesting lacquered kitchen cabinets?
carol stolz
This worries me, any comments about lacquered cabinets?
I do not have photos as the kitchen is just being planned.
karen paul interiors
The only comment I have is YES to lacquer. It's very smelly but oh....what a difference. :)
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 8:18PM
DaleAllenSpiry designs
Compare it with a two part polyurethane. Polyurethane produces the most durable finish. Lacquer may have a brighter finish. Compare them......
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 8:25PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Polys and lacquers to different products we have only started using conversion varnishes they are the most durable and won't yellow but not all conversion varnishes are not the same they make better ones than others
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 8:33PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
I forgot to ask Why are you worried most all shops use these finishes
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 8:35PM
By Design
Durable! Yes!
0 Likes   January 10, 2014 at 8:49PM
MS Colours Inc
Fine paints of Europe oil products have produced a great quality look and durability that is second to none. When our Clients want a fine hand done finish this is the one. You can look at our Porcelana project and our glacé project to have an idea of quality I am talking about.
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 6:24AM
diyher
I just did a search on conversion varnish, since I may buy my cabinets unfinished, found this on how conversion varnish is better than lacquer. I don't know a lot about either, but thought I would share it none the less.
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 6:33AM
carol stolz
I am worried that it may chip easily and then the whole cabinet would need replacing, what do you think?
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 6:35AM
diyher
even if the varnish chipped, it can be sanded and redone. If it's done right and left to cure before using the cabinets, it should be fine
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 7:28AM
chookchook2
Good lacquer is very tough. If you want a high gloss, high end look, why not.
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 7:42AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Lacquer doesn't chip so if not lacquered what other finish would you use ? As for doing any of the finishes as a DIY project I would consider hiring a pro they are not easy to apply and you need area clean and ventilated area for these types of projects
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 8:22AM
MS Colours Inc
Fine paints of Europe brilliant has gloss when applied correctly that can not be matched.
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 8:35AM
Design Details
Lacquered cabinets are for adults only. The higher the gloss, the easier they are to scratch. The same goes for urethane and conversion varnish. It's not that the finish isn't durable, it's just that any minute scratch shows up nicely. If you really want that bright sophisticated sparkly look, choose a manufacturer who can do it at the factory. Any dust at all during application will ruin the finish and it will have to be done over.
0 Likes   January 11, 2014 at 8:59AM
Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
I agree with Rockin', have a pro finish your cabinets. Neither lacquer nor conversion varnish are brush on finishes, although there are brush on lacquers made. On new cabinets, you want a professional finish and that means spraying. Conversion varnish is not a brush on finish. Both come in any sheen you may want, you are not limited to gloss. In my shop I always use conversion varnish for kitchen cabinets and high use furniture.
1 Like   January 11, 2014 at 9:46AM
Need help with Front Door Paint Color inside and outside
I need help with front door paint or stain colors for...
Can a flush mount light be converted into a hanging chandelier?
My friend fell in love with a hanging chandelier that...
Decorate a blank wall above kitchen sink
I have dark wood cherry cabinets and neutral cream...
paint colors
Is it ok to have light colors on my walls for entryway,...
Need paint color help
I have purchased an apartment in Greenwich Village...