Any ideas for freshening up tv unit?
hayleebould
We're putting this tv unit in our study and just curious as to ways of making it look more contemporary, fresh etc. Fully painting it is probably out of the question. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough to get a good idea, as its currently sitting in the carport and is extremely heavy so couldn't properly get a front shot.
LB Interiors
I'm sorry, I think the only way to update and change this, is to paint it black or white, ivory or cream. To update, you can take it apart and try to use the console center piece only. I don't know if that is even possible with the current construction. How would you finish the sides? Take the top piece off and use the two sides as separate bookcase units apart from the console. But still would need to be refinished.
January 11, 2014 at 2:02am   
I would seriously reconsider bringing this big unit in the house. No matter what you do to it, it will look out dated. Not throwing stones, as I have one and want it gone;)
January 11, 2014 at 2:05am   
HI LB, I guess you can't sleep either lol
January 11, 2014 at 2:07am     
LB Interiors
: ) Hi Margo, You caught me. Should be in bed, going now, good night.
January 11, 2014 at 2:10am   
hayleebould
ah damn, okay. we just figured one unit would be neater than our current set up.
January 11, 2014 at 2:18am   
Before throwing the baby out with the bathwater, try removing all the doors so you create an open book case either side and and an open unit; could a carpenter saw the diagonal part of the cabinet and make doors? I would do all of this BEFORE I moved it anywhere.
January 11, 2014 at 2:30am     
hayleebould
thankyou for all suggestions. we're now considering painting black and opening it up a bit.
January 11, 2014 at 2:46am     
chookchook2
Don't need to be too precious about painting them, they're going for a song as people replace them.
January 11, 2014 at 4:31am     
chookchook2
Do hold alot though.
January 11, 2014 at 4:32am     
Dan Rodgers Custom Interiors
I would sand it all down , prime it all , sand the primed coat . top coat it with any color you wish . Install either tile or a granite remnant for the top of the lower piece , install some fabric behind the glass . change the hardware out . ....bring it back to life for a few more years !!
January 11, 2014 at 4:45am     
moggie73
Looks as though you have decided to paint. Thats great, I see a lot of discussions about chalk paint for these treatments, sealed with wax. They do not have to be distressed, since you are going for a sleeker look. The bonus seems to be less prep and quicker drying time. I only mention this because I am in the same boat. I plan to try it on a smaller piece to see how I like the results.
Replacing the hardware with a more modern style will help, also.
January 11, 2014 at 5:14am     
YIKES...sand. prime. paint. seal. tile. fabric. hardware.......for what ? a heavy, dust collector that still looks outdated.
January 11, 2014 at 6:45am   
hayleydaniels
Does that thing come apart? If so, take it apart and seperate it into 3 different pieces, and use them seperately. BTW, that has to be a bear to move.....
January 11, 2014 at 7:24am   
See, posters are referring your beloved unit as *thing* lol...really, I am trying to help save you from mistake;)
January 11, 2014 at 7:27am   
My mantel needs freshening up. Any ideas?
I've had some iteration of this same arrangement for...
Ideas to freshen up the exterior and entry of this home.
Please give me your ideas to make the front of the...
Need ideas to freshen up living room
Recently bought a house built in the mid 1950s with...
Which shades make you pale?
The colour of spaces you inhabit can make or break...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Bad staircase design...please help!
We are not around to monitor our new build, and ended...
White glass subway or carrera subway with black/white granite
Help! Should I do white glass subway tiles or carrera...
I need help with an exterior front!
We are building a home on a down sloping lot, so there...