shelton143January 28, 2012
These floors are so beautiful. I am planning ot redo my floors to also have wook in the kitchen. I asumed most would prefer hardwood over engineered wood. Is there a reason you chose engineered wood for this project and do you have a preference in general?
Thank you in advance
Woodinville Retreat · More Info
ally
I love nail down hardwoods over engineered because you CAN tell a difference. That being said, you can run in to more issues with nail down. You can issues with your baseboards, exterior doors, dishwasher, etc. Its usually worth it to me because it often is not that expensive to make the adjustments you need to make it all work. Not to mention, they can be refinished many more times that engineered. Many companies say their engineered can be refinished several times but I am hearing otherwise from the people who actually do the refinishing. If you can fit it in your budget...go nail down!!!
    Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 8:21AM
The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn
The advantage to tongue in groove hardwood is that they are longlasting, classic looking and can be sanded multiple times. They will basically last a lifetime. The advantage to engineered wood is that you can get prefinished flooring with specialty woods and finishes for about the same cost as standard tongue in groove oak. Engineered wood will have a bevel between each piece where dust can gather and some people consider this a disadvantage as well as the points made by ally. Also keep in mind that it almost always pays to have continuity with flooring material throughout the house, you especially wouldn't want one type of wood in one room flowing into another type in the next room.
    Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 10:06AM
Interiors
This selection was a preference by our client. We typically source hardwood, but engineered floors have their place (radiant heat, basements, etc.) If you do opt for engineered, make sure you have a minimum 1/4" wood to ease of maintenance. Distressed hardwoods, whether hand-scraped natural hardwood or engineered, do have their maintenance issues over time when screening comes inti play, so I would recommend speaking with your installer about these issues. If opting for engineered, also make sure that the product offers options including baseboards and stair treads.
    Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 11:33AM
shelton143
Thank you to everyone for you advice. It is very much appreciated. I'm just starting the renovations process in our home and all the information I get from this site has been amazing. Thank you
1 Like    Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 11:57AM
shelton143
Dear Shuffle Interiors,
I'm a bit confused on what you meant by Destressed hardwoods do maintenance issues over time when screening comes inti play. I don't understand what "screening" is and what kind of issues may arise. I'm only asuming that the look of "worn out wood" with dents, etc mean that cleaning may be difficult due to dirt sitting in the grooves.
    Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 12:00PM
Is true love supposed to last forever? Say how much...
IntoConcrete
Can you please share with me if this is a 12" overhang from knee wall
Can you please share with me if this is a 12" overhang...
dshattls
I need help with this room. Small side table suggestions?...
lisalusby
Recommendations for ranges
Getting ready to build a second home. Debating on 48...
reiddenise
Should large glass mirrors without frame be beveled?
We are having house built and going with Contemporary...
sottery
Need help deciding on using a white for ceilings and walls..
I want to use the same color and finish (in a white,...
Sue F
Help with too much black furniture.
I posted a similar question to this recently, but wanted...
pennywurst
Sunroom furniture layout
I have a 9X13 sunroom and looking to replace furniture...
Linda Erickson