Design that will incorporate home, carport and horse barn
solamesa
House needs 2 baths, 2 bedrooms, open living and kitchen with bar. Mud room that is entered through car port. Mud room needs space for sink/dog wash, bath, w/d, freezer and pantry. Thinking that structure can be all under one roof or possibly covered walkway to barn or carport. Porches are very important with one side screened. Need to plan structure to take advantage of predominant SE breezes in hot Louisiana summers. Also needs to be easily accessible as we age. We have been looking at metal buildings and combinations of metal,wood and concrete block. Thank you!
studio10001
You are off to a good start w your ideabook and wishlist. I suggest you check under Pros next to find an architect to work with. You can get a good idea of strengths both through their photos and discussion responses. There are also ideabooks on how to hire and work with pros, what to expect from a project, and how to budget that you will find useful. If you run into specific dilemmas, this thread will remain open to address them. Good luck.
January 11, 2014 at 11:35pm        Thanked by solamesa
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
This sounds like a delightful project. I hope that you can find a local architect to work with so that you can have that perfect design.

Do you need to design for hurricanes where you are located?

Th=re is another material that you might look into called Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF)
They are similar to concrete block construction except there is insulation incorporated into the formwork and you pour concrete into the center (with reinforcing steel). This creates a well insulated, hurricane resistant house.

Another idea is to use a prefabricated steel building. I have been looking at a company called Kodiak Steel Homes out of Arkansas. I like a couple of their exterior designs with porches. The only problem is that their interiors designs are not perfect. If you talk to them you might see if you could customize a design.........You could always have your local architect help work out the floor plan and have a company like Kodiak fabricate the building...

You have many options and I hope that you enjoy the design process as well as your new home.
January 12, 2014 at 2:39am      Thanked by solamesa
solamesa
I will check out Kodiak Steel Homes. As for hurricanes we will build near Shreveport in north west Louisiana, so moderate hurricane concerns with current weather patterns but will look into your suggestions for future hurricane concerns. Thank you for responding.
January 12, 2014 at 10:43am   
Monica Schexnayder_Lacombe
We are currently constructing our home right outside of Baton Rouge out of ICF. We are set to pour the walls in 2days! My husband is self-contracting a large part of the process, but the ICF foam blocks has been an almost fun process for him and our dads to construct. The biggest benefit we are looking forward to is the energy savings. Our house will be super insulated, meaning easier to keep cool in those long summers and just as easy to heat come winter. We choose the Quad-Lock system. Good luck!!
January 21, 2014 at 8:31pm        Thanked by solamesa
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
And the other great thing about ICF construction is that it will hold up under hurricane force winds....
January 21, 2014 at 11:31pm   
Rearrange my living room, design the front windows!
My city rowhome living room leaves difficult layout...
Looking for advice of updating home exterior
We bought our house about a year ago and have been...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Door color ideas
The door colors were green from when we had yellow...