drapes or nothing
dkdyche
Do I need drapes,also other ideas in this room
Is privacy an issue with the dinning room and what is the view like from the windows?
    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 12, 2014 at 5:14AM
dkdyche
Privacy is not an issue. We live in the country, no neighbors, and view is pretty out these windows,2 large pine trees placed to the left and 3. Smaller grouped together,another species of pines to the right, basically cannot see the streetverymuch,just glimpses
    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 5:27AM
kadodi
I think so. They could add softness and color.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 12, 2014 at 5:31AM
Patricia Colwell
I leave my drapes in my dining room open during the day but when we are having a dinner party I find it feels warmer when the drapes are closed in the evening, there is no view then So I vote for drapes and some art work on the wall
    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 12, 2014 at 5:34AM
Holly Keeley
Drapes to go with rug to add color and interest.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 12, 2014 at 7:56PM
coconuts1234
Your room is gorgeous!

Window treatments can make such a big impact, but I don't think you need that here - the chandelier does that for you. I love the shape of the window and wouldn't want to mess with it. There are other ways to bring in color.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 12, 2014 at 8:02PM
abbyjean
Does the table fit the other way in the room? Love the windows and the view must be awesome!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 12, 2014 at 8:06PM
grobby
Definitely drapes. Beautiful windows, but they are very large for the room, looks " tucked" in under the ceiling. I think this size window works best with high ceilings. Drapes would soften the window.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 12, 2014 at 8:11PM
bitterswt02
Drapes - a million time drapes - it'll help pull the eye to the center of your already gorgeous room. A sheer silky set from the ceiling that puddles on the floor and is gathered on the sides would be classic. I say sheer because during the day it will not hide the beautiful curves of the frame.

]
1 Like    Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 8:16PM
kmkane
so many opinions! I HATE drapes - give me nature and art! The windows are very pretty, the view sounds gorgeous, why cover that up? Try a rug, see if that warms up the space. Also, the idea of turning the table might help. Artwork on the walls, too. The once sconce I see is pretty blah.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 12, 2014 at 8:29PM
The Art of Room Design
Drapery panels would add softness to the room and make it look more finished, they don't need to open and close. A buffet would add some interest also. Great room!
    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 12, 2014 at 8:54PM
South East Installation Solutions, LLC
Drapes would be good there. But don't cover the entire window. Use just enough fabric to cover the sides and stack off the wall a few inches.

I would not even use a long rod all the way across. Just use 2 short rods, one on each side.

If you are looking for light control, privacy, or a way to block the sun from discoloring your hardwood floors or furniture, consider using plantation shutters in the windows. They can be made to follow the line of the arch.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 14, 2014 at 7:57PM
dkdyche
Some of you said turn the table the other way. Should I do that and not have anything under that mirror or keep it the way it is and get a narrow sideboard under it.Concern is there is not a lot of room for guests to keep going around that table although it is doable just not a lot of room.Thank you for all of these great ideas. I do agree with South East in saying short rods stacked only on the sides. I know I need art on that north wall and a rug. I like someone's idea of a kentia palm in the corner. One designer did say no drapes, living in the country has its benefits when privacy is not an issue. This is an old remodeled house but I knew I wanted to look out the windows, so I wanted them big, probably put them in a little big!
    Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 2:54AM
Whispar Design
I agree with South East - stationary panels to soften the wall would be a good option. No need to take away from the architecture of the windows or the view! We make an accent cornice that has a built in rod. Not an ideal photo but gives you a visual of stationary panels. I'll try do a rendering of your room with stationary panels to give a better idea.

Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 16, 2014 at 6:22PM
dkdyche
Thank you whisper design. I would like that. Can you also tell me what shape of art I need on this wall,ideas, and this wall as I need to take that Christmas floral down
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 2:39AM
Mike Kiefer
Hello there. If drapes are an option, I'd go with it to soften the room. It also dampens the noise down a bit and offers some sun protection should this be an issue.

Fabric: satin comes to mind when looking at the interior.

Color: not entirely sure, what do you think about a dark red coloration?
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 2:45AM
Thos. Baker
I would certainly go for drapes in shades of creams or beiges. Plain, simple, heavy, pleated ones. You can always draw them aside when ever you wish too. Secondly, I would advice you to reconsider your chandelier. Visit www.potterybarn.com and pick up a great piece at the current sale. You could even add some classy wall art or a huge mirror with a low height credenza just below it. Consider softening the dining table by running some beautiful runners on it. A rug would be a nice thing to have and so would some tall slender lamp pillars for the corners. Attaching a few images to illustrate the same.

Ar.Simran Chhibber on behalf of Thos.Baker
    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 17, 2014 at 3:30AM
Thos. Baker
A few more images. .

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 3:31AM
Thos. Baker
A few more. ..
    Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 3:39AM
Whispar Design
Okay its a rough rendering but hopefully give a better visual using your space. There are tow version: One hanging the panels at the edge of the window and one version going right up to the bulkhead. If you do choose to use the cornice, I would suggest one of the low-profile series (i.e. Estate, Madison Park, etc...) Hope this helps.
    Bookmark   Thanked by dkdyche    January 17, 2014 at 9:58AM
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Stefanie
Silly ledge over front entry door
House under construction, and I now realize after adding...
Leona N
Family room drapes
Hi I need help choosing a color or some idea for this...
jzxg
How to Introduce Color to this Family Room! Although...
laurahahe
Need advice for our newly remodeled room.
We knocked down the wall in our traditional home between...
skicounselor
Water stains my granite!
I had Kashmir White granite counters installed and...
writegal
My entryway stumps me...
I want to liven up my entry way, but it has so many...
Heather
Please Help My MANTEL
We have a large fireplace and are desperate to make...
ohioidesguy
Need advice for entryway
What thoughts do you have on the area infront of the...
ginamuto
Need home exterior improvement ideas
Houzz idea submit 1/14/15: We bought a new house...
magnificenthome123