Steam shower instead of tub
erintom
Looking at design ideas to optimize the main floor bath in our 120 year old arts & crafts house. This bath is right next to our bedroom and faces south. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Chazz Spina
Houses usually have to have at least one tub to meet code requirements, so before you switch to only a shower, check on that unless you have another bathroom that has a tub. Take a look at the magazine "Bungalows" and similar ones on craftsman houses for lots of ideas and to see what you like. At least you'll have a direction. Are you looking to do a complete remodel or ? Are you on a very tight budget? My suggestions would depend on your answers to those questions. Also - cn't tell from the photo -is the bottom part of the wall just painted or is it wainscoted?
January 12, 2014 at 11:07AM   
erintom
There is a tub in the bath upstairs, no wainscoting. I want to keep existing sink, radiator and lighting. This room is above a crawl space and next to a hall near the back door. Budget is under 10,000.
January 12, 2014 at 11:15AM   
Chazz Spina
The room doesn't look large, so replacing the floor and tub surround with tile should fit in your budget. I would recommend adding quality wainscoting on the wall (stained and sealed) and using it also to "box in" the tub. Get some period repro faucets and spout for the tub, Should come in well under your budget, giving you room to replace the toilet with one that fits your decor more. You might also want to check out http://www.myoldhouseonline.com for a very helpful community interested in old houses.
January 22, 2014 at 7:17AM      Thanked by erintom
Please help me pick a exterior color for my log cabin!
I've had it for a year and I still have to figure out...
New House, Ugly Kitchen
Hey Houzz. We just bought a new house and can't afford...
Foyer lighting
Does this large pendant look good as foyer lighting?...
Curb appeal? elementary school across
front porch? to cover or not to cover???
Color palette ideas for living room
We recently painted our living room accent wall with...