Suggestions for updating my powder room please!
cathymca
Small powder room on our main level. We would like suggestions on how to update. Thinking of a pedestal sink? Dark marble floor tile maybe but how to do walls? Please help!
Shuler Architecture
I'd add painted beadboard wainscoting, a pedestal sink, new wall sconces to either side of a wall mirror and an new tile floor. Choose a nice paint scheme and this will look like a million bucks.
January 12, 2014 at 3:38pm     
cathymca
Thank you for your suggestions. What color paint for the walls? To the left of the powder room is a tan living room and to the right is a sage green sunroom.
January 14, 2014 at 8:42am   
mpoulsom
Paint your vanity a medium taupe gray color, or black, and find a fun wallpaper in a geometric pattern!
If you don't want to remove large mirror, build a frame around it to match vanity paint! Change your faucet to a brushed nickel and add a floating shelf above toilet with a pretty vase of flowers or something with some color.
If you want to redo the floors, go for it, but it doesn't look that bad. Just get a new rug.
Do keep in mind that black floors tend to show more dirt .....little harder to keep clean looking, but if you don't mind that, then go for it! :)
Powder rooms are so much fun to me! I think they should fun and nice and interesting!
January 14, 2014 at 8:48am     
mpoulsom
example of gray vanity......before and after of old mirror,
January 14, 2014 at 8:51am     
cltaylor11
Here's a couple of examples (the one pic has dark floors like you mentioned
January 14, 2014 at 8:51am      Thanked by cathymca
Waltman Kitchen and Bath
If neutral is what your going for, Tavern Taupe by Sherwin Williams has been a great choice for us. Good Luck!
mpoulsom
]

fun wallpaper in a powder room.
January 14, 2014 at 8:53am        Thanked by cathymca
mpoulsom
here's a black framed wall mirror and black vanity.....
January 14, 2014 at 8:55am   
RiverbendHome.com
Be sure to factor in additional storage ideas if you plan to upgrade to a pedestal sink. Here's a little background reading: http://www.blog.riverbendhome.com/pedestal-sinks-vs-vanity-sinks/
January 14, 2014 at 8:56am     
D John Design
I usually like powder rooms to have an interesting floor. This floor looks tired, albeit in nice condition. What about swapping out and installing hardwoods for a uniform look. Anything can be converted to a vanity so let your creativity go wild and pick a fun theme/color/scheme for the powder room.

Additionally, check out marble and granite fabricators for their remnants. Since the vanity is not too large, you can often get a remnant piece (from a larger kitchen job) and usually they only charge you for the fabrication not the actual piece itself.
January 14, 2014 at 10:42am     
January 14, 2014 at 12:13pm        Thanked by cathymca
Patrick Mills
Accent the main wall (Wallpaper or Stone) depends on the budget...def a ped sink!
January 14, 2014 at 12:17pm     
cathymca
Which would be my main wall, the one that you see from the hallway or the one that has the sink and toilet? Would it be the same tile that I put on the floor? Same question if I use wallpaper...
January 14, 2014 at 12:36pm   
Patrick Mills
The one from the Hallway......depending on your taste....maybe a funky wallpaper....perhaps with a texture..( but easy to maintain....or a subtle stone....
January 14, 2014 at 12:45pm     
sabrinager
I had the exact same setup for my powder room (placement of sink and toilet) and it was an easy switch to put sink on wall that faces you when you enter the bathroom and toilet to the right of the door facing the wall that the sink would be placed on. It so much better that way since nobody wants a toilet as the focal point.
January 14, 2014 at 12:48pm   
mpoulsom
if you would rather go with a textured wallpaper....look at grasscloth!
January 14, 2014 at 2:52pm     
If you did like sabrinager and flipped toilet and vanity, you could do something fabulous on that facing wall. Powder Room
Ocean Drive Condo
January 14, 2014 at 3:11pm     
Macral Design Corp.
Hi Sabrina: Good job.
I would like suggest you some bathroom vanity options for your powder room. They are functional, attractive and very contemporary. The Roma vanity is available in 40 inch and color espresso or lacquered in white, black or taupe. The Cuero vanity are made with genuine leather in front and it is available in 32 or 40 inch , white or black. All them are designed and manufactured in Spain.
January 14, 2014 at 3:19pm   
cathymca
sabrinager, would it be possible to post a picture of your flipped powder room? We never considered moving anything around. Interesting thought.
January 14, 2014 at 3:44pm   
sabrinager
I did not take a before picture, but our bathroom looked exactly like yours. My husband and son thought the picture of yours was our old one when they walked by the computer! All we had to replace was one floor tile under the right front leg of the vanity. We also decided to put boxes of molding on the walls on either side of the sink and painted the whole bathroom a iridescent white. It turned out really well!
January 14, 2014 at 4:49pm     
Sustainable Dwellings
sabrinager; that is adorable!!!
January 14, 2014 at 4:55pm   
June 14, 2014 at 9:22pm   
cathymca
Dear Houzz Family,
Once again I need your advice. I have to return these wallpaper books this Saturday 6/21. Please let me know if you like any of these designs. It's for the same bathroom. (We move slowly :-/)
June 16, 2014 at 9:43am   
cathymca
More pics
June 16, 2014 at 9:45am   
SoCal Contractor
A fresh pop of color on the walls could go a long way. Also, many people now have tile on their walls as well. Think of something that adds texture and makes the room unique. This could be tile, paint, wall covering, etc.
June 16, 2014 at 9:49am   
cathymca
What did you think of the wallpaper above, too blendy?
June 16, 2014 at 10:13am   
godsplansforme
Bold colors, Google happy colors for small spaces and see what you find. You never know
June 16, 2014 at 10:46am   
Time to update my powder room! Help please :)
I have taken everything out of the room but the mirror....
Need to update my powder room, bath room and laundry room
My laundry room is very small and I would love to reconfigure...
Want to update my laundry room/powder room combo!
Well, I live in a 100+ year old house, and I have a...
Paint colour suggestions for my Asian inspired powder room
I am having a problem deciding what colour to paint...
Tell us about: Your first apartment
I remember mine well, the reasons I chose it, the roommate...
Need Help - Window or corner cabinet? Take a look.
Hello All - Thanks for taking a moment to read about...
Landscaping Design Ideas for a Sloped Area in Backyard
I have this large area in my backyard that I would...
Help on decorating family room
Just bought a house and need help choosing tv stand!...
Wood walls. Wood ceiling. Wood floors. Need some ideas.
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this little gem....