Picture frames
ranicamp
I am having a hard deciding what kind of frames to get to hang three black and white photos that my mother in law took when she was young. The photos are 5x7 and are of the Arizona desert.

I bought these white 11x14 white frames from Hobby Lobby. What do you guys think???
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think they look fine..but use a real mat with each one. And think about a dark mat with a white chisel or inner mat. The shade of the white frame is different from the no mat look or a white mat and that can look off, so I suggest a different color mat, black or a med. gray.
January 13, 2014 at 1:25PM        Thanked by ranicamp
unwantedadvice
Hi. I love the photos and the frames but I have to wonder how black frames would have looked. Did you take one of the pics with you to Hobby Lobby? That might have helped you decide.

However, saying that, do you have more white accents in the room where you are hanging these? If so, the frames will be fine in my opinion.
January 13, 2014 at 1:28PM     
I agree with Barbara about a matting but even a white can look very effective but ensure the tone of white works with the frame.
January 13, 2014 at 1:28PM     
unwantedadvice
Nice advice from Barbara about the matting choices.

I wanted to compliment you about wanting to frame these photos your mother-in-law took so long ago. How nice for her, if possible, to see these have a place in your home.
January 13, 2014 at 1:34PM        Thanked by ranicamp
I like Barbara's matt choices too. You can buy 11 x14 matt with a 5 x 7 opening. I think a black frame/white matt would look nice. Or, the white frame and a black matt. Here is a link for a white one from amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Single-Designer-11x14-mat-Opening/dp/B001THYY8M
January 13, 2014 at 1:37PM      Thanked by ranicamp
diyher
here is a company with really nice mats. many of my artist friends buy from them. I don't, only because I cut all my own mats and buy 32x40 sheets.
many 5x7's fit into 8x10 frames. That is how I sell mine
Whatever you do, be sure not to use scotch tape to hold the photo down. http://www.redimat.com/products/decorative.html

Do the hinging method and use this type of tape http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=125576&Q=&is=REG&A=details
and the black core mats. http://www.redimat.com/products/decorative_black_core.html
January 13, 2014 at 1:45PM      Thanked by ranicamp
ranicamp
Barbara I like your idea but I'm new to this framing business and I'm not sure what a matt and chisel means? If you know exactly where I can get these items a link would be greatly appreciated.

Unwanted Advice: I did take them to Hobby Lobby with me, but it was overwhelming and I have yet to pick wall colors or exactly where I want to hang them. And yes it would have been nice for my mother - in - law to see them hang but she died from brain cancer shortly after my marriage. She was like a mother to me.
January 13, 2014 at 1:48PM     
Barbara Griffith Designs
What a wonderful way to honor her. I suggested either a black or gray mat as it will work with whatever your wall color may be. You may also like a black frame with an off white mat. But with black & white photos, I usually like a darker mat and a white or lighter frame. I think the white frame will look good on any color walls. Did you check out Michael's or JoAnn's Fabric they also have frames.
January 13, 2014 at 1:57PM        Thanked by ranicamp
sunnydrew
The mat is the "cardboard" that is inside the frame to hold the picture. The "chisel" is the way they cut it, so that you can see the inside edge of it as it surrounds your photo. It adds dimension/depth to the picture. The white frame and mat in the larger size with your smaller pictures looks clean and really nice. Great idea. I like the white frames better. Most craft stores that sell art supplies can cut the mats for you if the ones you showed are not right.
January 13, 2014 at 2:03PM      Thanked by ranicamp
ranicamp
Barbara I did not check out Michael's and JoAnn's yet but will do that right now. I also uploaded one of the pics just to get a better idea.

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I'm so glad I asked the houzz's opinion.
January 13, 2014 at 2:06PM     
sunnydrew
I love the photo and still think your 11 x 14 frame with white matting will look great
January 13, 2014 at 2:09PM      Thanked by ranicamp
Barbara Griffith Designs
P.S. The chiseled edge is also called a beveled edge. The mat may be black on the surface, but beneath it it is white..so when the bevel or chisel on the inside cut is made you have a darker mat with a white edging in the inner cutout for the picture. It is very attractive especially in this type of situation.
January 13, 2014 at 3:50PM        Thanked by ranicamp
Frame and mat options:
January 13, 2014 at 4:12PM        Thanked by ranicamp
hayleydaniels
The black matt groveraxle shows add a lot of interest to the picture.
January 13, 2014 at 4:34PM      Thanked by ranicamp
solincia
If you have your own matting cut, two things--cotton rag white matting, the core won't yellow. Paper mats look dreadful after awhile. Also, if using store bought frames and the opening will not have equal thickness around, have the top and sides of the matting equal and bottom weight it. Much better than skinny sides and thick tops and bottoms. I'd personally go white, the black will be a bit of an eyeball banger and distracting to the photos.
January 13, 2014 at 6:33PM        Thanked by ranicamp
January 13, 2014 at 6:44PM     
diyher
haha, glad you mentioned bottom weighting :) you won't believe the amount of non artists or photographers have no clue what that means. I've had probably 3 people walk back into my booth after buying a matted 16x20 saying why is it 3 inches on the bottom, but 2 inches around the other 3 sides. One guy thought I made up bottom weighted. Told him to Google it and he will see I wasn't making it up :)
January 13, 2014 at 6:48PM     
solincia
Also, since you're new to this, here's two ways to hang it since I see the framing wire in the background.
Buy saw teeth hangers, hammer into the top. Not ideal, but they get the job done.
Best way--eyelet screws. Measure a third of the way down and use an awl to put a small hole into the back of the frame, make sure it's into a thicker part but not too close to the edge and your screw isn't too long--if you have some wax, rub the end of the eyelet screw into it as to not overheat when turning. If you hear it squeak, stop--it'll break off.
Now the wire. Thread it through the eyelet from the inside to the out, wrap it back around and under the wire, back around to the outside and back through the hole and over top of the wire that you just wrapped around the screw, wrap it 4-5 times tightly around the wire and cut off the excess.
When you go to hang it, make sure to allow about 2" of give in the wire when placing your wall hook.
I hope that helps :)
January 13, 2014 at 6:53PM        Thanked by ranicamp
solincia
@diyher yes, and when I was framing back in the day, we'd sometimes do it intentionally so that when its hanging on the wall, the bottom matting didn't look shorter--which it can depending on the size of the piece :)
January 13, 2014 at 7:00PM        Thanked by ranicamp
Soloncia - great advice and tips. Many thanks
January 14, 2014 at 5:50AM     
chookchook2
Don't frame the originals. Get them copied and put the originals away somewhere safe and dark. Use a mat to keep the glass off the prints, and don't hang in direct sun.
January 14, 2014 at 5:54AM        Thanked by ranicamp
sunnydrew
yes, to making copies. You could even enlarge them at the same time for framing.
January 14, 2014 at 6:29AM        Thanked by ranicamp
Need help with paint colors (the same thing..grays!)
I need help! I have been trying to find the perfect...
Square tile hole in the middle of the loft
What can I do with that horrendous square block hole...
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Help furnish living room in new construction
I am general contractor and sister of homeowner in...