Help for dividing up loft space
cmspecht
This is the last part of our house to be finished, hence the mismatched furniture and general chaos. It's a loft space on the second floor of our house accessed on one side by stairs and the other side by a long hallway with the bedrooms. I don't have a clue how to make it cosy or make it "make sense". We have three small kids and this is basically our family room. Thanks for any advice!
abbyjean
I just feel like your clavinova needs to be on an inside wall? Is it as touchy as a piano? Can it go where the computer is? And I feel like the tv needs to move away from hiding the special window you have in this area. Will think some more.......
January 13, 2014 at 3:31PM        Thanked by cmspecht
bluenan
I would move the TV away from the windows and put it where the desk is. Create your sitting area around that, which would still incorporate the window, but not have the TV back-lit. Put the desk or a built-in desk on the slopped wall where the horses are. You could do more built-in storage where the big sectional is and make it a kid's corner.
2013 Parade of Homes "Dream Home" Edina, MN 1
2013 Parade of Homes "Dream Home" Edina, MN 2
Driggs Designs
Bonus Room
January 13, 2014 at 4:56PM        Thanked by cmspecht
I'd make it very kid-friendly, fun and light-hearted as these two ideas are. On your picture #1, build in a computer desk right of the partition, moving the TV to the current desk wall. Then divvy the rest of it up by activity; music, play, exercise? etc. as needed. As the kids grow replace play area with air hockey area.
Family Room 1
Family Room 2
Custom Colonial
Indoor Hot Pink and White French Quarter Bean Bag Chair Lounger
January 13, 2014 at 5:20PM      Thanked by cmspecht
cmspecht
Would you still recommend putting the tv where the desk is even though it's on a partial wall? See image below. Thanks again for the advice and pictures!!
January 13, 2014 at 5:30PM   
bluenan
I don't think it makes a difference that it's a partial wall. It will be a dedicated space for the TV which I think is good. It's not a huge long wall that you'll have to figure out how to decorate.
January 13, 2014 at 7:10PM        Thanked by cmspecht
bryght.com
If the dimensions permit I would create an office area in the niche that is to the right of the family area, that will create more of an "area" or space if you will. Just a thought...
January 13, 2014 at 9:50PM        Thanked by cmspecht
cmspecht
Our house is kind of a funny house, probably more house than we need. So we already have a dedicated room for an office, a library and a craft room for the kids, in addition to the usual bedrooms and living room. That's why I'm so confused with what to do with this very large room (it's around 600 sq ft). Maybe we need to get a couple of game tables and make it more like a rec room? I appreciate everyones' suggestions, just still feeling stuck…. Should I try to separate the area that now houses the tv from the area around the keyboard/sectional/horses area?
January 14, 2014 at 11:49AM   
bluenan
You can separate the area with the placement of the larger furniture pieces without enclosing anything. Game tables would be great, you have the room.
January 14, 2014 at 11:57AM        Thanked by cmspecht
carolins
How about putting the TV under the sloped roof (to the right of the arched window) and pull the corner sectional away from the wall, turn it around so that one part faces the TV and the other part faces the window in that part. So it creates a 'closed off' TV corner (does that make sense?). You can put one of the chairs under that window angled towards the TV maybe.

Then place the leather couch under the feature window and create a separate seating area there with the leather furniture. It will make space for a games table in the centre of the room.

Piano where the desk is.
January 14, 2014 at 12:23PM        Thanked by cmspecht
cmspecht
I like that carolins. It used to be like that with the tv corner. The sectional is not terribly comfortable, and the brown leather chair is my husband's tv chair, so I wonder if it would look weird to do a tv corner but with chairs and the couch instead…wouldn't make as much of a barrier. I may give it a try, thank goodness for the furniture moving disks!
January 14, 2014 at 1:33PM     
carolins
hahaha... definitely worth a try. And since you have the furniture moving disks... shuffle away :-) Sofa facing TV and leather chair with its back towards the open space?
January 14, 2014 at 11:27PM        Thanked by cmspecht
Does the loft take up the whole space on the third floor?
I'm wondering if part of the upper story goes from...
Breaking up loft space...
My boyfriend and I are about to move into a 1700+ square...
dividing up outdoor space
I posted before and got some great ideas on how to...
Need help for the small loft space in livingroom
I have no idea what to fill this space with....Any...
Need help decorating my outside patio
Need accent pieces or throw pillows to accentuate this...
How do I ground/add warmth to this area?
My home is modern and I love this reading corner but...
I don't know how to remove these
I moved in somewhere after an elderly woman and these...
Foyer lighting
Does this large pendant look good as foyer lighting?...
Choosing the right kitchen faucet in proportion to the sink.
In my kitchen I am putting in the large 39 1/2" wide...