Need help with kitchen update
popat2006
I would like to give a modern look to my kitchen. Looking for suggestions.

Should I paint my cabinets white? (Cabinets are good quality and solid wood). Should I change my backsplash? If so what color or style will look good with my kitchen? What color would look good on the walls? I am up for any and all changes except granite due to the cost.

Also looking for any pros recommendations in the Richmond VA area for help.
karen paul interiors
White cabinets with new hardware can make a very big difference. As for your backsplash, many homeowners really like the subway tile. The backsplash can introduce color into the room or can pick up the countertop, and also add other colors as well. If you like neutrals, you have an entire range of options for mosaics. I would see what prices look like and decide from there. As I said, a very simple white subway tile is always a very nice look. As for your paint color, if you keep everything else white along with your black countertop, you have an entire range of options for paint color. You would want to have your kitchen colors coordinate with adjoining areas. So depending on what those areas have at the moment, your choices would be narrowed down considerably. A new rug would also lend some color and interest to the area. Are there other areas that should be considered in planning your kitchen? If so, a few additional photos that include those areas will help Houzzers give you even more advice.
January 13, 2014 at 7:30PM   
S&K Interiors
If you decide to paint your cabinets you can have your painter fill in the holes in the cabinets where the knobs are and drill new hole for pulls which are more modern than the small knobs you currently have.
January 13, 2014 at 7:42PM     
popat2006
Thank you Karen and S&K that helps. Changing the knob style with cabinet color to white is a good idea. Any recommendation for shade of white for the cabinet?

Here is a picture of the adjoining area to recommend wall color for the kitchen. The color in the dining room is dill pickle.

Would removing the 4" back granite and covering with the backsplash reduce the black overtone ? How difficult is it to remove without
damaging the surface?

Thanks again for your thoughts.
January 14, 2014 at 5:14AM   
popat2006
Attaching Picture.
January 14, 2014 at 5:21AM   
karen paul interiors
This comes from Mainline Kitchen Design: To answer the questions about how to remove a 4" granite backsplash. The backsplash is simply silicone caulked in place. Take a utility knife and cut the seal between the top and the backsplash and the backsplash and the wall and pull the backsplash off. You may need to touch up paint around the removed pieces, spackle a few holes and using a razor blade paint scraper remove left over caulk from the top
January 14, 2014 at 8:42AM   
karen paul interiors
Here is you BM Dill Pickle in the d.r. if anyone wants to make suggestions.
January 14, 2014 at 8:45AM   
karen paul interiors
Your paint color in the d.r. is reading more yellow/green because of your incandescent (chandelier) lighting. So with that in mind, what type of lighting do you have in your kitchen and what direction does your kitchen window(s) face?
January 14, 2014 at 8:47AM   
karen paul interiors
Before you give me the answer about kitchen lighting, both natural and artificial, I can tell you a soft blue would be a nice complement. So, if you like that idea, I can steer you in the right direction and then you will go to the paint store and get started with samples the technician can recommend as far as actual hue(s). When you do go, you will want to explain about you d.r. lighting and current paint color (take a sample) and then tell him/her as well about the kitchen lighting sources.
January 14, 2014 at 8:56AM   
karen paul interiors
Is there another area off the kitchen that can be seen from the kitchen?
January 14, 2014 at 8:58AM   
popat2006
The kitchen has a fluorescent tubes in a flush ceiling mounted fitting. The kitchen does not have windows bit there is a small breakfast area on the right of the first picture with a window facing north. We live in a lot that is surrounded by houses and trees so not much of direct light which makes the dark counter make the area more dark. There is an island with a sink and raised counter in the middle dividing the kitchen from the family room.

I really like the idea of white cabinets with light blue hue wall color and light color backsplash. What kind of blue would go well in the setup we have. Recommend one and I will work with the local paint store.

Any recommendations for the white color hue for the cabinet ? Also any contractors you know if in my area for painting the cabinets? A big box wanted me to spend a lot of money to replace and and would not quote painting.

Thank you so much for you help and time. You are awesome.
January 14, 2014 at 10:31AM   
karen paul interiors
Sorry I took so long to get back. My go to white has always been Dunn Edwards Swiss Coffee. Not everyone will agree, and that's OK, but this particular white is the cleanest of them all without turning color with an undertone you don't want. It's fresh, clean and not stark.
January 16, 2014 at 7:09PM   
Rachel H
You might be surprised at the cost to paint your cabinets, and they look nice as-is, so I'd suggest just changing out the hardware to a brushed nickle and adding a colorful glass subway tile backsplash. You could do anything really with that black granite countertop. I like this green but maybe with a smaller tile...

I would also get rid of the fluorescent lights! YICK!
January 16, 2014 at 7:29PM     
hgtvlover16
Pictures attached.
Your cabinets will look great painted in white with black hardware to compliment the counter top. New lighting will also make a big difference. Either the Vahara tile in the kitchen pictured or the glass and mosaic tile would look great in your kitchen.

What do you think about the blue paint? As you can see in the picture below it will look great with your dining room wall color.
January 16, 2014 at 9:12PM   
Choice Granite & Kitchen Cabinets Inc.
It's all about contrast.
January 17, 2014 at 1:57AM   
indianpatti
Your cabinets don't look like the typical "orange oak" ... I think they look nice. Love Rachel H.'s picture above. If it were me, I would use that pick as my inspiration.
January 17, 2014 at 4:29AM   
popat2006
Thank you to all who commented. These are great ideas. You guys are great. I mean totally.

So I have 2 options both equally good. First option is White cabinets ,new chrome handles, white subway tile and suggested blue color in the room. Second option is keep cabinets as is, new chrome hardware , backsplash with a green tile as shown in the picture and yellow wall color tone. Tough choice really but I am excited just by the thought of either of these looks. Which one would the houzzers vote for?

Will the green backsplash suggested by Rachel go well with the white cabinets tone suggested by Karen?The reason I am asking is so I can go for the option 2 look first and if I don't like it for some reason or change my mind paint the cabinets. The wall color is an easier change.

Regardless the fluoroscent light has to be replaced. Should I get cans installed or an incandescent fitting?
January 17, 2014 at 5:23AM   
karen paul interiors
If you an do recessed LED to replace the fluorescent, that would be ideal. To your question about the white paint I suggested...Swiss Coffee goes with everything. It is the most neutral white I know of and is not a stark look.
January 17, 2014 at 9:20AM   
Kitchen remodel -- Need help updating small dark kitchen
Need help updating small U-shaped kitchen. We're willing...
Need help updating small condo kitchen
Can anyone suggest who can help me with picking out...
Need help with galley kitchen update!
Hey everyone! We bought a house about a year and...
Need help with kitchen update
Painting kitchen cabinets white... Any suggestions...
Material for Back wall of porch?
I am building a covered porch with screens that connects...
Need help with my entry way
I am looking for a suggestion for a rug in our entryway....
Has anyone installed LG Viatera Rococo?
I am thinking about using LG Viatera Rococo in my kitchen,...
Will my colours work?
We have just installed an off white country style kitchen...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...