Sink or Cooktop in island?
kday72
We're planning a new/reno kitchen and I'm stuck on whether to place the sink or the cooktop in the island. The pictures on Houzz of either scenario are beautiful but I can't quite wrap my head around the actual day to day living aspect. For instance if I place the cooktop on the island I have a big vent hanging down, disrupting the aesthetic. However if I put the sink in the island (which I am leaning towards) where do I put the dish rack to dry dishes?
I would greatly appreciate any input on the pro's and con's for either scenario. Thanks!
S&K Interiors
We recommend putting the cooktop in the island because it is great to be able to face your family and friends while you are cooking. It allows others to help you with meal preparation easily. Most people spend more time preparing meals than doing dishes and it is more pleasant to face out into the room than to look at the wall. Finally sink are messy sometimes so it is better to have them less visible in the room. As far as the exhaust fan goes you can either install a downdraft fan or find many beautiful overheads. Here are some photos of kitchens that we have done with the cooktop in the island. Two have a down draft fan and one has an overhead fan.
January 13, 2014 at 8:01pm        Thanked by kday72
abbyjean
I love my cooktop on the island....mine is near the end and not in the middle. I have never regretted having it there.
January 13, 2014 at 8:06pm      Thanked by kday72
grobby
I prefer a cooktop in the island. As S&K noted, you can see family and friends as you're cooking. I follow feng shui principles for good energy and this is a good example, otherwise with the cooktop on a wall counter, you have your back turned to guests. Never a good idea to have your back to someone, leaves you vulnerable.
January 13, 2014 at 8:14pm      Thanked by kday72
arnickels
I hope a lot of people respond to this because I'm wondering the same thing. We're getting ready to work on plans for our retirement home & I can't figure it out. I guess it's because I've had a cooktop in my small builder's island for 27 years & I've hated it through 2 different cooktops with down draft exhaust. So - come on, designers, help us out! :-)
January 13, 2014 at 8:20pm      Thanked by kday72
I would rather have the stove if I had to choose. I'd like the dirty dishes away from the center of the room. :) If possible, neither! The sink and stove on the perimeter would be my choice if an option.
January 13, 2014 at 8:23pm      Thanked by kday72
Karen Harcourt
I have a U shaped kitchen, and love my cooktop against the wall, the sink looking out the window, and I prepare all my food on the island bench facing everyone. We are building soon, and I will be doing exactly the same as I love interacting with people while preparing, I don't tend to stand at the cooktop for any length of time, I seem to spend my life at the island bench, lol , and am very "old fashioned" :)
January 13, 2014 at 8:31pm        Thanked by kday72
kday72
Thanks for all the comments! I've really been stressing about this...

I would love to have a U shaped kitchen but it's difficult in our space - photo attached of the layout. I would love to run the sink & cabinets along the windows at the bottom of the pic but the windows are really low - only 30" between the floor and the bottom of the window. It's a historical house so the windows can not be changed.

The wall with the oven/micro is floor to ceiling cabinets and the dining room is on the other side. So either way, I'm not looking out into the LR when working at the island, b/c of that wall of cabinets. Although we do have seating at the end of the island.

I've thought about nixing the floor to ceiling cabinets and replacing it with a larger island but then I lose so much storage and would basically only have lowers with the exception of maybe 2 uppers. I also lose the wall oven/micro and I really dislike the micro in a lower cabinet space. Not to mention the entire kitchen is exposed and although I love an open concept I also don't care to look at the mess when we have guests.

The dimensions -
-Frig and cooktop wall of cabinets is 13.5-14' long. The cabinet by the window will be lowered to be flush with the window - 30" height.
-The island is 10' long x 4' wide
-The oven/micro wall of cabinets is 11' long.
-We are allowing between 3.5-4' between island and cabinets.

Anyway, still stressed but love reading your comments which help a lot. Thank you!
January 14, 2014 at 5:52am   
I use the other side of my double sink for the dish rack so it frees up the countertop.
January 14, 2014 at 8:05am        Thanked by kday72
S&K Interiors
Are you familiar with the microwave drawer? Much better than putting a standard microwave in a lower cabinet.
January 14, 2014 at 12:54pm      Thanked by kday72
kday72
You know I've seen them but the ones we looked at were very shallow. As in too shallow to heat up my morning cup of coffee. I don't recall the brand though so perhaps there are some that aren't so short.
January 14, 2014 at 1:56pm   
We moved the cooktop away because not being the worlds greatest chefs, better to hide the kitchen disasters! I prefer pretending to be a good chef by doing prepping in front of guests. Provided a don't chop off a finger alls good!
January 14, 2014 at 2:00pm     
S&K Interiors
Here is a link to the different microwave drawers out there and the advantages to them.
January 14, 2014 at 2:13pm        Thanked by kday72
Cooktop on island vs sink on island
Houzzers:: I was wondering if there any clear advantages...
On an island . . . Cooktop or sink on an island?
We are expanding our tiny kitchen into a small kitchen....
Sink or cooktop on the island??
We are building a new home with stunning lake views....
Thinking of a similar island design with cooktop and prep sink.
Would you please give me the dimensions of the island...
Remember this house? Need help in different direction.
Initially I wanted to add an open craftsman style front...
Newest piece of furniture in your house?
Furnishing a house is often a lifetime project, with...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
sectional? bad idea?
I know I know ...futon. we had a big couch that fell...