Which kitchen layout is better?
revaselva
My kitchen is of size 7.4x13. I like the L shaped kitchen with no island (since island is not possible) while my hubby likes U shaped kitchen with peninsula. Will L shaped kitchen be more empty than the open feeling that i am looking for? I also do not like stove in a peninsula and a fridge sticking out more right at the entrance of the kitchen (since i have ordered a 36" deep one ) hence was thinking abt a L shaped kitchen.
But hubby's point is better storage and counter space with a U shaped layout.
I also have a small pantry already in the load bearing wall, so what will i miss with L shaped kitchen? Attached are pics of proposed both layouts and the 3rd pic is another kitchen layout in the same neighbourhood.
Please suggest which is better.
Thanks
lucidos
Is it feasible to put the fridge in the wall either where the pantry is currently or next to it? That would get rid of the elephant in your kitchen and allow for some exciting design options.

Maybe you don't need much in the way of cabinets but counter space is precious real estate.

Is there any reason that the kitchen can not be extended to the edge of the 2nd window or to the edge of what looks like a platform?

In your neighbors image where the stove sits is where I would put the sink. This would allow easy clean up from the eating area and even an extension for seating. Oh and yes doing this...you could get your island if you choose. This would allow you to hang pendants over that area and give you some wonderful space. Then you get your "L" shaped kitchen, Hubby get's his "U". If you do implement the island you have a great flow through pattern too. Everyone is happy and if he makes you mad you can splash water at him.

Another idea would be to go with a galley type layout as in the last image. Again recessing the refrigerator and extending the kitchen. This would put the cabinets in the last image running long ways...the stove in that image would be where your kitchen window is currently..
January 14, 2014 at 1:50am   
OnePlan
Personally - I prefer the second plan as it offers more worktop space !
January 14, 2014 at 4:44am   
Patricia Colwell
In such a narrow kitchen why did you not go with a 24" deep fridge, then you don't have it sticking out where ever you put it. Go for the L , you really don't have room for a peninsula with a stove and counter on each side in 7'
January 14, 2014 at 4:56am     
My pet peeve is not enough counter top surface to work on, so I'd opt for the "U."
January 14, 2014 at 5:50am   
hel13
I just changed my kitchen from a U shaped kitchen to an L shaped one. So much more open and spacious and I have just as much bench space and storage as the old kitchen was poorly laid out. I recommend the L shape.
January 14, 2014 at 6:02am   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I like lucido's idea of recessing the refrigerator into the existing pantry if that is at all feasible. But, I still don't see how you can get an island in there. Is your refrigerator really 36" deep or 36" wide? That seems pretty deep. Between the two plans, I think I like the 2nd layout better just because you get more counter space. But I don't know that I would put up a wall there left of the refrigerator. I would do tall end panels. If you prefer the L-shaped kitchen, I would eliminate the tall cabinets to the right of the refrigerator and move the ref. down and again use tall end panels. You would gain more counter space. Attached is a picture of a recessed refrigerator we did in an abandoned stairwell.

January 14, 2014 at 6:08am     
Patricia Colwell
There is no way you can put an island in 7'4' unless it is 1' wide and then you would only have 36' on either side to walk and I can tell you from experience that sucks when 2 of you are in the kitchen. Jusr forget an island.
January 14, 2014 at 6:12am   
L shaped design gives you more room to work behind the countertop. Are you or your husband the people that will use the potential bar stools with the peninsula option?
January 14, 2014 at 8:02am   
revaselva
I can't recess the fridge in the existing pantry location, since it is a load bearing wall with a pathway from dining room to family room pathway.
Neither can i make a gally kitchen with a narrow 7.4ft wide kitchen. I can only work with 2 walls in that room.
I see that most of you would recommend a peninsula over a L shape. But would it be ok to have a stove and range hood hanging in the peninsula with 12" overhang on the otherside of peninsula? My family would barely use the bar stools over there.
In the U shaped layout, there is no wall next tothe fridge but a panel next to it and the doorway. Also, I would not be able to put the stove against the window, since the range hood above the stove would block the window. And the dimensions provided are after the extension of the kitchen, thus the L shaped kitchen would be coming about 2.5 ft from the patio door. That is how I could plan to put a full 30" pantry next to the fridge in the L.
Even the U shaped will be bigger than the neighbor's pic since we are planning to extend the kitchen till edge of platform as seen in their kitchen pic.
January 14, 2014 at 8:41am   
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I don't know that you need an overhang, especially since the floor changes elevation there. Here is one example. You could also do cabinets back to back there and have something like a bookcase or glass front cabinets facing the other room.
January 14, 2014 at 2:16pm   
Which kitchen wall layout is better for the beverage center?
We are having a tricky time deciding between these...
Which kitchen layout is better?
Note the changes it makes to the other rooms..
Help! Which kitchen layout is better for this awkward space?
What should I do with my kitchen? Keep my awkward kitchen...
Which bathroom layout is better?
Up in the air about which layout I like best for our...
Which layout is better...
I can't seem to figure out how to place my furniture...
Need help to finish my guest room.
I fell in love with this comforter and have decorated...
To paint the woodwork or not?
Dear Houzzers, I'm stumped & need your design experience....
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Eat in kitchen corner
I posted earlier about this . I keep trying to fix...
Help please! Color for kitchen cabinets?
We're buying a new house and we'll need to live with...