What's missing?
rn0126
Hello houzzers,

I love gray and may have overdone it. Can you give me ideas on how to pull this space together please??
ebmalon
I would get some pillows that tie in the color of the rug and possibly some art that adds some color/interest as well.
6 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 14, 2014 at 9:42AM
Erica Garza
yes, more pillows with white/green/peacock blue tones in them. Open the curtains up too...or switch them out to something that's not entirely gray? Maybe add a decorative border to the inside of the drapes to bring more color to them as well?
2 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 14, 2014 at 9:44AM
karen paul interiors
What else do you that in your room? Post a few more photos from other angles so we can see the other end of the room (opposite the sofa) and the wall opposite the chair window wall.
0 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 14, 2014 at 9:48AM
Legacy Millworks
I agree with erica garza, switch out the drapes to something that has a little more contrast.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 14, 2014 at 9:48AM
Leslie Savannah Designs
I agree with ebmalon, some pillows in the pretty apple green color. If your drapes are to be replaced, a pretty gray, white and apple green silk stripe would help to make the room fresh and bright. Also, even though I love the floor lamps, an end table or tables would look lovely with a colorful lamp. You could also pull in the peacock blue color through drapes to pull it all together. Good luck!
2 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 14, 2014 at 9:49AM
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
Lovely! Things I would recommend:

Add a second pair of curtains on the inside of Gray, a cream colored ones to Ombre into the sheeers, and make window treatments more sophisticated.

[houzz=Clairemont Whole House Renovation]

You could add a leaning floor mirror(s) behind lamps on that wall...ditch the wreaths

[houzz=Creative Control

raleigh]

Introduce cream, grean and pattern in the throw pillows.. I love the little teal guy, keep it.
Teal can be another color you bring in..

The Coffee Table Could be bigger, you could get a second one just like you already have and gang them together.

You could use an end table or two...

[houzz=Allan Copley Designs Antiqua 18 Inch Round End Table in Polished Cast Aluminum]

[houzz=Pillow Decor - Waverly Side Step Marine 16 x 24 Throw Pillow]

[houzz=Hailey Teal Throw]
7 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 14, 2014 at 9:55AM
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
The first image is to show what I mean buy "Ombre" the curtains.
0 Likes   January 14, 2014 at 10:00AM
rn0126
This area is our living room. Adjacent to it is our dining room. More photos so you can see how the space flows. I need to work on dining room next. Thank you so much for all the great ideas fellow houzzers!
1 Like   January 14, 2014 at 10:06AM
Mark
I think bringing that beautiful green and teal up on to the walls with your drapes would look really lovely.
28 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 14, 2014 at 10:23AM
dreacorator
In place of t he wreaths (?) next to t he curtains, mirrors to make some light dance around. I agree with other houzzers, pillows would make world of difference. Cover matching couch cushions in another color or pattern. If you want t o keep black ( to coordinate with lamps I assume) have it in a pattern with green and blue. The rug is kind of a color commitment so use as a guide unless you want to change.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 14, 2014 at 10:26AM
HI -- I agree with adding more color but I see the biggest problem being the drapes . They would be better being all white or off white and spread them out more past the size of the windows -- set them higher also fill the wall space more . Right now they are not letting the light in and I also don't like the way the grey ones look with the light coming threw the fabric. Everything else is real nice -- great furniture ! PS: get better tops on the drapes - ripple fold or grommets or back tabs or pinch pleats.
3 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 14, 2014 at 10:30AM
VintageMaya
I would suggest that you get rid of the wreaths and add some complementary color pillows to tie in the teal green and white color table runner for the coffee table. Here are some suggestions: Vintage Inspired Objects 1. Look at grey based curtains here: Vintage Inspired Objects 2. Look at butterfly pillow w/teal embroidery at Vintage Inspired Objects 3

Victorian Crochet Table Runner
0 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 14, 2014 at 10:45AM
Erica Garza
yes, raise and OPEN those curtains. You have amazing windows and that natural light will bring more life to it! I have yet to hang curtains because i don't want to block the light :)
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 15, 2014 at 8:23AM
soberg
Custom drapes, properly sized to clear glass completely when open, in a beautiful print fabric pulling together your colors will make all the difference. Also, more light.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 15, 2014 at 8:30AM
Thos. Baker
The space has a lot of potential to begin with.

Your sofa looks nice so let's keep that. I would suggest lots of bright and colorful cushions. You could explore blues, greens, reds and ochres.

The rug can be replaced with a nice carpet that will help enhance the beautiful wooden floor you have. A carpet on the lines of velvety deep red or rust with dull sap green would look fantastic.

A round solid wood center table could add some dynamism to the space. You can even add some chested side tables besides the sofa. The current set of drapes are making the place very dull. My advice would be to replace these with lighter and brighter colors.

The round mirrors on the wall could be replaced by some vintage artwork and this artwork could be highlighted using accent lights. The existing side lamps could be done away with because they are somewhat bulky and are dominating the space too much. Instead, tall, squarish, slender lamp pillars could be used. Alternatively, a simple table lamp on an antique side table would look very classy too.

I am sure all this shall make the space look more cohesive as these elements blend beautifully into one another! Attached below are images reflecting these ideas.

Ar.Simran Chhibber on behalf of Thos.Baker

Images for rugs....
4 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 15, 2014 at 12:01PM
Thos. Baker
Images for suggested furniture and accessories. .

1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 15, 2014 at 12:11PM
Thos. Baker
Images for suggested Cushion covers and wall art. ..

2 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 15, 2014 at 12:15PM
lalat51
Looks like the table disappears.That table needs to be larger that's the only hard surface with that seating. Soften drapery treatment with white sheers. I like to see some other colors and pattern in art work and pillows
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 15, 2014 at 4:11PM
Natasha Assa
As I understand it, your entryway flows right into the room, right? So here is the thing. Your room tends to "lose energy", so to speak, into that passageway. And that creates a kind of a cold, un inviting atmosphere. Let me ask you, does anyone want to sit there immediately as they come in? I bet they walk right past it and go to the kitchen, right? We had this problem for years in our first house, because of this same arrangement.

The way to counteract it is to flip the sofa with its back to the passageway, creating a strong divide between the seating area and the "hallway" and focus it on a focal point. It could be anything for a TV console, to a fireplace (you do need to install one, a beautiful electrical piece with built-in media shelves will work fine), to a view, if there is one in the window, and if not, you might want to create a view by planting seasonally colorful plants in the yard, space permitting.

On the back of the sofa place a long slim console that would catch keys, phones and mail. Nothing can be more convenient.

In the middle of the room place a rich cognac/coffee colored wood coffee table. Wood tends to give solid inviting look. Alternatively, if luster is your thing consider a mirrored coffee table with classical forms, to give the room more shine. But don't overdo it. You don't want it to look like a hotel lobby. Go for just a hint of light in the mirrored edges of the coffee table.
7 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 15, 2014 at 4:34PM
Natasha Assa
Pardon me, I just re-read my comment on the mirrored coffee table. If there is no budget for a new (mirrored) coffee table, you can buy mirrored trays, or mirrored or mercury glass candleholders, shiny metal orbs, and other reflective objects to decorate the existing coffee table.
3 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 15, 2014 at 4:46PM
Natasha Assa
Also, if there is a view from that window behind the sofa, consider taking down the curtains altogether and placing them on the other window, for added richness (as they appear slightly skimpy, less than the required double or triple the width of windows) and putting blinds inside the window, for a more streamlined zen look. You could even place 4' topiary pieces on both ends of the window, to give it a more "alive" feel and to invite the outside in.
4 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 15, 2014 at 4:52PM
brickln
I love everything in the room, but it seems like there's a lot of geometric pattern going on. Keeping the drapes more open and rearranging the furniture as Natasha suggests would help. You could also try a quarter turn with the sofa or chairs on the other window.
I'd place the black cushions on the sofa and remove the matching ones.
I like the idea of adding botanical prints if you want more warmth; a solid, plush carpet for luxury.
0 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 2:47AM
vacox
I agree with making the drapes more colorful in some way, and adding some more color in the pillows. I love the ones Mark photoshopped, but even just an inside border. Those are some tall drapes, I'm sure they were expensive. Beautiful room and house, you have done a great job.
0 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 3:36AM
indianpatti
Great space! Mark nailed it with the patterned drapes above ... add a few pillows bringing the green and other colors from drapes & some art.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 3:37AM
rn0126
Thank you for all the great ideas. The easiest and most cost effective idea for now is to rearrange furniture and open the curtains. We're in a corner lot but lot is elevated so the view would be the yard and a quiet street.
4 Likes   January 16, 2014 at 6:27AM
rn0126
What do you guys think? Really appreciate all the responses and suggestions! I know I still have work to do. Thanks again!!
2 Likes   January 16, 2014 at 6:30AM
Virtus Design
If you swap the pillows for more color that would help the room pop more!
3 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 6:37AM
salmamashhour
i think u need brighter cushions on the sofa,and u need a tall healthy plant, remove the blue cushin and put some greige and light green frames on the wall behind the sofa also touch of coral in accessory
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 6:40AM
BacksplashIdeas.com
The green rug does look great in this area. I agree and think that adding some brighter pillows will make a huge difference!
0 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 7:47AM
sunnydrew
have you considered a really, really narrow, but long console table for behind the sofa? It would give a place to drop keys/ mail when you come in and put 2 slim lamps on it, so the couch can be used for reading.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 8:02AM
Marilyn Wilkie
Everything is so dark except for that beautiful splash of rug. I agree with bringing in some lively curtains like the previous suggestion above. Everything seems to be in the same dark (and kind of depressing) tone right now except that rug and the light coming through the windows.
0 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 8:22AM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Placing the sofa in this position closes off the openness of the space and is not as inviting as when the sofa was on the window wall. I feel the table is in conflict with the rug and you need something simpler and in wood to ground the arrangement. Perhaps a big floral arrangement there would give you some punch.

Actually, before you spend time figuring out the pillow colors, find some art for the narrow walls beside the window after removing the wreaths.. Hang art that runs from the top of the window to the floor by using a series of small prints individually framed. These can be, for example, framed/matted 4"x6" images of a themed collection or black/white photos/drawings. The matt & framing would bring the units up to the appropriate size for the wall.

Another option would be to add panels to the draperies so that they are full enough to go from corner to corner. These could be the color of the cream in the rug and trimmed with a narrow gray band down the center fronts. Or a wide contrasting band across the bottom. Wider across the bottom because you have very tall walls.

Opposite the sofa you could place a pair of interesting ottomans that are a color.
6 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 8:22AM
RT Facts
You are lucky to have so much light because of these big windows. Make a nice tray of blooming bulbs in moss for winter. Living plants add freshness. Some trim on the edges of the curtains would add a personal touch and some flair and color , If you are handy with a needle you can whip stitch this on yourself. I like the sofa against the window. It feels warmer and more inviting. A pair of mirrors on those walls opens up the room and gives it some sparkle plus you can check yourself on the way out the door. You don't have spend a lot of time & money. The space is lovely. You're almost there! Greek Key Mirrors: http://www.rtfacts.com/shop/all/pair-tall-wrought-iron-greek-key-border-mirrors/#tab-additional_information
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 11:24AM
KShoa
Just finished this set today! The colors go well with your decor (not listed yet).
3 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 1:40PM
Classic Design
Here's what I see. The walls are way too dark. If you don't want to repaint, change the draperies to a lighter gray or go with cream draperies banded with lime green down the lead edge. Also, lots of bright pillows on the sofa.
0 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 1:46PM
CharlieDog and Friends
I know everybody loves the sofa and chairs, but it's that beige color that really muddies the color in the room, where everything else is a clear color. It's deadening to the room, because the undertones are wrong. Pink, clear blue, purple and white would look great in this room, as would silver. Love the grey, though! :0)
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 2:01PM
lilyhammer1
More colourful art work to add punch. Love the green! Just use some more of it.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 2:04PM
armipeg
Orange pillows.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 2:09PM
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
purple and apple green pillows would go great with grey
3 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 2:14PM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- A couple more ideas - -

All of your photos really help to understand your space..... You could think about trying this - In front of the window, place a long, unique chest of drawers. It would be great if there was a touch of green in the finish to coordinate with your rug. Accessorize with lamps, a books, etc.

Turn the rug so that the short edge is in front of the chest and place the sofa on the long end to the left of the front door but pulled away from the draperies.. Place the pair of chairs opposite the sofa, squared up to the long side of the rug and with a table in between them. Cocktail table in the middle of it all.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 2:59PM
Kendra Harrison
Bring the colour(green) into vertical space. Rug matching the Curtains would work.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 16, 2014 at 11:43PM
catz1
Yes, you need to bring some color up on the wall and add some color to the drapes. I am appalled when folks recommend replacing rather than snazzing up perfectly beautiful things. Perhaps, you should move on to the dining room and let it kind of settle in. Really beautiful rooms can take years of tweaking. Nothing needs to be replaced in my opinion. A pillow, a throw, a tie back, a sheer, an applique or accessory with a little more color. Great looking room.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 17, 2014 at 12:44AM
cindyguent
First of all, great space. Love the green. I liked the windows better with the drapes open instead of how the drapes are arranged now but if budget allows, new drapes as others suggested, or at the least, a border added on. If not that, then add at LEAST one more pair of sheers to each window and don't spread the grey drapes out so much. More pillows including your accent color are a must to replace those you have now. Please replace wreaths with something vertical with interest-loads of good suggestions for mirrors, framed art, etc.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 18, 2014 at 7:06PM
mirandask
Where did you get your floor lamp? I love it!
0 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 20, 2014 at 11:39AM
wisneb
Not a designer, take it with a grain of salt. I think the two wreaths or whatever on wall are washed out looking against the paint color.

What about something with more contrast, such as this type of wood frame and it also adds a bit of natural life to the room.

Also agree with others to bring in patterned drapes.

You have a beautiful room. :)

1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 20, 2014 at 11:44AM
housebunny
looks like the drapes are blue gray and the sofa and chairs are more of a taupe/beige. The room might come together by adding cream/soft taupe sheers under the drapes and adding cushions that are textured with gray/taupe and green/heather colors. Adding texture will blend these different shads
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 20, 2014 at 11:57AM
B Fein Interiors LLC
Add something from nature - a plant - green! :) would be great!
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 20, 2014 at 12:03PM
patrice60
Really pretty room. I would remove the sheer completely. Add some pillows to tie the rug to the rest of the room. Maybe a side table.
0 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 20, 2014 at 2:27PM
marcnlisy
The drapes are what is keeping it from being complete. Its lovely! Just remove the drapes and maybe replace with pretty cream….
0 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 20, 2014 at 2:30PM
qfcjam
Make the curtains match the rug to bring your eyes up.
0 Likes   January 20, 2014 at 7:29PM
Classic Design
For the homeowner with gray living room walls and draperies and green area rug, you asked for different opinions on decorating, some professional like myself, most are not. Therefore, if the professionals aren't giving you free advice, how confident are you that advice you see here, is the right advice? I also chimed in. I see changes you've made already, that took you in a direction away from the style you began with. Should you decide on professional advice, after all these voices gave different opinions, go to www.classicdesignnet.com under Virtual services and I'll give you the advice that corrects the things that bothered you.
0 Likes   January 21, 2014 at 4:44AM
easternhomebuilder
You've given a lot of information. Corner lot, quiet street, main living room adjacent to dining room. Plus we can see the windows let in a lot of light. The windows are a rgeat feature. The inner wall appears to have no window and it long. SUggestions: The windows are wonderful. The gray on the walls feels too dark. Reverse the contrast with the drapes by making it a light shade. Leave the drapes open and tie back with sashes. REplace tthe pole lamps with tables and place colorful laps on them. I would tone down the rug with a less severe patten. Consider adding a second love seat, opposite the first, bring the two smaller chairs to the same side, and place a large square coffee table in the middle. The inner wall needs something. A chest or high armoire, a few pictures, a plant. Just noticed, in the later pics the lapms are gone. How are you lighting the room? Consider a gas fireplace as a focus point.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 21, 2014 at 5:20AM
mermaide
I like the monotone palette of your room, and would not add additional color.
I would consider adding more textured items, however. And, I would lose the symmetry of the lamps, chairs, pillows. Too much balance is boring and prevents a more dramatic look . You can have interest/drama without adding a rainbow of color.
1 Like   January 21, 2014 at 5:28AM
Mark
@ Classic Design I think what you just said is very disrespectful to all those that offerred their time and advice to help the OP. I am always amazed at the talented, gifted people that spend hours and hours a day helping individuals with their dilemmas and I am proud to say many of these people have become friends of mine and I feel that everyone's advice should be respected whether they are a pro or not. The main objective is to help those that do not have the knowledge or talent to solve their decorating dilemmas and through all the wonderful advice given the OP usually leaves Houzzz very thankful for "Everyone's " opinion and it's usually through a collaborative effort that this is achieved.
11 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 21, 2014 at 5:34AM
krayfield
Lots of good suggestions here. I would recommend switching out the wreaths with either art or mirrors (my preference), but make sure the frames are....believe it or not, gold. That will pop this room and will correlate with the rug and work well with the gray. It will give the look more sophistication. Just sayin...:)
0 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 21, 2014 at 5:45AM
Classic Design
Mark no disrespect meant. They are opinions you are correct, but those opinions may not to give that person the end result he is asking for. If you were having an addition added to your home would you feel more comfortable asking your neighbors advice, or a pro whose knows the ins and outs of that profession? That's the point I am making.
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 21, 2014 at 5:48AM
chookchook2
1 Like   Thanked by rn0126    January 21, 2014 at 6:03AM
2 Likes   Thanked by rn0126    January 21, 2014 at 6:20AM
wisneb
I actually went to the house Question area and asked if non-designers could give an opinion and it said we could. The official answer was yes, it's what Houzz is all about.

Also remember, Houzz has many new member logging in for the first time and so they need to get familiar with everything here. Some didn't see the Find A Pro area on the top. Those seeking particular advice certainly can do so. The Pro badge is also helpful.

I try to remember to mark my input with a "disclaimer" that I'm not a designer.

I find value in all input. In the end, it's our homes that count and our particular style, so I am never offended by input. I think this is a place for everyone's ideas.

If everyone marks their remark with a "designer" badge or disclaimer, then the party in need of advice can decide how much weight to give each remark. Have to agree with Mark on that.

Also, I am so happy this venue exists; I have learned a lot and value all input on my projects. I think there is room for everyone! :)
2 Likes   January 25, 2014 at 10:09AM
sasad8621
great start! you've got fabulous windows. Would change the curtains to compliment the color family you've started with the pillows and area rug. (The tone-on-tone of the gray curtains and the gray walls swallows up the room's best features: the windows and the height. ) Consider the layout of the sofa against the side window. Next to the front window, one of the chairs with side table doubling as entry table. More inviting. Creates a transition from entry to invited seating
1 Like   January 25, 2014 at 10:43AM
the essentials inside
I think I would replace one of the wreaths with two mirrors. These are made by Uttermost and is available at our store. We offer free shipping and no sales tax!

Come check us out we have a large variety of items to browse. Please feel free to contact me with any questions at contact@essentialsinside.com.

Sue
www.essentialsinside.com

Davion Squares, Set of 2 Mirrors by Uttermost, available at the essentials inside, www.essentialsinside.com

This set of square mirrors features a distressed, antiqued silver leaf finish with black undertones, burnished edges and antiqued mirror accents. Mirror is beveled.

Details:
Height: 18 in.
Width: 18 in.
Depth: 3 in.
Mirror/Glass Height: 13 in.
Mirror/Glass Width: 13 in.
Weight: 30 lbs.
0 Likes   January 25, 2014 at 7:56PM
barnic2900
Would definitely add some green pillows to sofa to complement the rug.....
0 Likes   January 25, 2014 at 8:09PM
jennifernesselroad
I like to search around my home and reuse things I already have. Experiment with color and texture by borrowing pillows and throw blankets from another room. Also, could you remove the dark drapes and leave the white? If you don't like it you could just rehang them. If you have any extra fabric stored away, you could recover the dark pillows. There is a great no sew way to do it.
2 Likes   January 26, 2014 at 10:23AM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Just one more thought and I hope it helps you with finding a way to finish off your LR. The color wheel is quite useful for deciding on accent colors. The most impactful combinations are complimentary colors - straight across the color wheel. In your case, the complimentary color range for lime green is in the violet family and it is a lovely combo. So, to add a little spark to your room, toss a few pillows with violet in them. Violet & lime with gray would be perfect. That will liven up the space.

I also believe that cream panels at the windows would be better than gray because the light cast over everything would be a warmer light and make the room more inviting.
1 Like   January 26, 2014 at 10:54AM
supergran
Get some lighter cushions,even white with a texture.
0 Likes   January 26, 2014 at 11:48AM
supergran
Sorry to repeat everything ,I hadn't read all the comments..but needs lighter colours ,anything at all ,even a beautiful vase with white flowers, make it huge stand it on the floor.silk ones can be very good ...expensive initially ,but can bring a wow factor
0 Likes   January 26, 2014 at 11:53AM
Erica Garza
any updated pics?
2 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 12:44PM
what color for wall and quilt for my bedroom, what I miss?
hello Need some help to redo my bedroom I want to...
frenchinj
What can I do to beautify this space? What's missing? Thanks in advance
I haven't put much color into the space because I wanted...
Marilee Lenon
What is missing here? What should I put on walls? WOW FACTOR!
This is my dining room area which joins my living room....
hillaryu
Artwork ideas? What's missing?
Changed paint colors. Artwork suggestions?
rajagopj
What is missing? It just seems empty still
This is our foyer and it just looks unfinished! Maybe...
Danielle Lyn
2.7M sculpture in white stone
This piece of art was done for 2010 Marmomacc fair we...
Hazem Shoukry Designs
Monster of a Fireplace...I've never seen anything like it!
Ugh. I don't know what to do with this fireplace that...
jcomama
3D كيفية تركيب ورق حائط
استخدام الطينة اليابانية (السلك...
silk wallpaper decorative wallpaper
I need help for living room
I needed Modern design Modern design
almaha
Need Advice for ceiling colour
I'm trying to decide if I should make the ceilings...
Lila Cormier